Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Kino Press Release: Buster Keaton's The Navigator (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,333 posts

Posted August 13 2012 - 08:16 AM

Posted Image

Kino Classics releases Buster Keaton's silent comedy classic  

The Navigator on Blu-ray and DVD

Street date: September 4th

Posted Image  
Mastered in HD from a 35mm negative 
from the Raymond Rohauer Collection,
color-tinted according to the original specifications 

http://www.amazon.co...vigator blu-ray

New York, NY - August 13, 2012 - Kino Classics is proud to announce the Blu-ray and DVD release of Buster Keaton's The Navigator, widely recognized as one of the classics of silent screen comedy. Now, this acclaimed film makes its Blu-ray debut, mastered in HD from a 35mm negative from the Raymond Rohauer Collection, with color tinting according to the original specifications. 

The Navigator comes to Blu-ray and DVD on September 4th, with a SRP of $34.95 for the Blu-ray and $29.95 for the DVD edition. Both are currently available for prebook. 

Posted Image

Courtesy of Robert Arkus

This edition from Kino Classics features musical accompaniment arranged and composed by Robert Israel (in 2.0 stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1), and comes packed with special features, including a featurette, written by film historian Bruce Lawton, about the making of the film and Keaton's fascination with boats as sources of comedy; an audio commentary by silent film historians Robert Arkus and Yair Solan; a photo gallery; and audio of a 1913 recording of "Asleep in the Deep", a popular song of the period referenced in the film.

This is the tenth of Buster Keaton's independently-produced feature-length comedies that Kino Classics has released on Blu-ray. Kino has also previously released all 19 of his silent short comedies on Blu-ray, as well as the 16 talkie shorts Keaton made for Educational Pictures in the 1930s.

A precursor to his classic The General - only centered around a 500-foot steamship rather than a Civil War locomotive - The Navigatordemonstrates Buster Keaton's ability to transform complex machinery into large-scale comedy props. 

In a return to the "pampered youth" role he had played in The Saphead, and would

Posted Image

Courtesy of Robert Arkus

play again two years later inBattling Butler, Keaton stars as Rollo Treadway, an inexperienced lad of extraordinary wealth (and surprisingly little common sense) who finds himself adrift on the Navigator with no one else on board except an equally naïve girl. After discovering each other's presence in an ingenious ballet of unintentional hide-and-seek, the couple resourcefully fashion a home for themselves aboard the derelict boat, in spite of their unfamiliarity with the tools of domesticity. 

A series of mis-adventures ensue: on the high seas, on the ocean floor, and in the face of a fleet of angry head-hunters.

The Navigator was co-directed by Buster Keaton and Donald Crisp, and was shot largely on board the Buford, an ocean liner which Keaton and his art director arranged to use for the filming of this picture. When the film was first released in 1924, it contained color tinting, which has been restored to this edition according to the original specifications.

Posted Image

Courtesy of Robert Arkus

* Photo gallery 
* Audio of 1913 recording of "Asleep in the Deep", performed by Wilfred Glenn 

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,355 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted August 13 2012 - 09:50 AM

Sounds great. I'm still holding out for Kino to collect all these Blurays into a new "Art of Buster Keaton" set. I have no idea if this will happen. I dare to dream.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Dee Zee

Dee Zee

Stunt Coordinator

• 197 posts
  • LocationFalls Church VA, USA

Posted August 13 2012 - 10:24 AM

Looks good. There was a great documentary about Keaton entitled A Hard Act To Follow. I wish that film was reissued on blu-ray or DVD. It was last out on VHS.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,679 posts

Posted August 13 2012 - 11:35 AM

Looks good. There was a great documentary about Keaton entitled A Hard Act To Follow. I wish that film was reissued on blu-ray or DVD. It was last out on VHS.
Not just VHS; I have that documentary on laserdisc. I am definitely getting The Navigator.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor

• 648 posts

Posted August 13 2012 - 01:46 PM

Kino sure took their time but hopefully by the end of this year we will have all of the titles from the Art of Keaton box available in a restored/remastered form. There is just one more title to go - College and going by Kino's pattern of releases, it should be out in December. I am expecting them to release a new box with all the Keaton titles sometime next year. -D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users