What's new

Warner-How about a bluray of LOCAL HERO. (1 Viewer)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
This charming little film has always been a favorite of mine. Maybe we will see a release during Warner's celebration in 2013.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Yes, a wonderful little movie. I would expect something like this to turn up in any Blu-MOD program Warner Bros might introduce, but probably not as a commercially-pressed release.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
This movie MUST come out on bluray -- c'mon David Puttnam and Bill Forsyth, pull your fingers out, as they say in the UK -- maybe a special 30th Anniversary edition perhaps?
This and Hal Ashby's "Being There" are my two all time favorite movies -- both were considered 'quirky' comedies when quirky was a bit of a novelty -- and for the last 30 years there have been thousands of quirky comedies, most likely influenced by these two classics, and quirky isn't as funny as it once was.
I lent a copy of "Local Hero" to a colleague of mine, having heard me blathering on about it as this great classic -- she took it home and was bored sideways by it -- most likely the audience has changed in the last 30 years (the understatement of the century), but I do hope the movie comes to bluray, if only for the great music score -- and Scotland never looked better.
One of the great Hollywood 'what if....' stories concerns the role of Felix Happer -- this would have been the next role of William Holden had he not died in a tragic accident in late 1981. The role was then offered to Charlton Heston -- who turned it down. It was then offered to Burt Lancaster, who made it his own and naturally is my favorite performance by him.
Still, I often wonder how William Holden would have handled it -- I look at his last movie "S.O.B" and see that, given the right script, he was still a masterful actor and I think this would have been one his great late career movies.

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Definitely deserves a bluray release - please let it not be a MOD one, but a proper pressed disc. I don't care which side of the pond it comes from.
I only just got around to seeing Forsyth's follow-up film "Housekeeping", on MOD DVD. It too is a lovely quirky film, with perhaps a bit of a darker tone. The image quality is pretty good. I just hope the burn-on-demand discs last a good many years.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Put me down for Local Hero as well, and NOT on MOD. Excellent fish out of water film, probably my second favorite Lancaster performance behind The Swimmer.

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
Count me in as well. Yes, it's a quirky comedy, but it's deep too. This film has one of the most moving endings ever executed. Not to mention Mark Knopfler's terrific score.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
Burt Lancaster is fantastic in the movie, but for my money Fulton Mackay steals the picture out from under everybody. It also has one of my all time favourite exchanges - "Are there two L's in Dollar??" and without looking up, the old boat painter growls "And are there two G's in Bugger Off?"
I honestly don't recall this picture getting a decent release in R2. I have a newspaper freebie disc of it and if I recall correctly it was a pretty poor transfer like Forsyth's Gregory's Girl. I'd love to see a region free Blu-ray from WB.

MartEvans

Stunt Coordinator
My favourite movie ever. I'd be there day one for a blu-ray release. Alongside Monsters Inc. it has the most perfect ending to a movie ever.
and while we're at it I'll take Gregory's Girl and Comfort & Joy. Both fantastic.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
I sent a tweet to Warner Archives stating that LOCAL HERO is way overdue for a bluray release Agree? I recieved a repley saying 'there ALL overdue.' So read into that what you want.

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
Brian McP said:
I lent a copy of "Local Hero" to a colleague of mine, having heard me blathering on about it as this great classic -- she took it home and was bored sideways by it...
Anyone bored by "Local Hero" has no soul.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
trajan said:
I sent a tweet to Warner Archives stating that LOCAL HERO is way overdue for a bluray release Agree? I recieved a repley saying 'there ALL overdue.' So read into that what you want.
Think the question is, "How about it NOT on Warner Archive"? But, it's from before 1985, so we know the answer to that. :(
And the fan-dismissing response would tend to verify that, yes, the Archive is exactly what we thought it was. (Then again, proper spelling and a more complex wording wouldn't have ruined the fan image either.)

And Forsyth really only did three-and-a-half funny films in his entire career--if we sort of count That Sinking Feeling as a home movie that came later--before he turned into a morose, preachy self-repeating weirdo after Comfort & Joy, but Local Hero is still his one "mainstream" film for those who hadn't already gotten a taste for his gently buttoned-down oddness in Gregory's Girl.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Ejanss said:
Think the question is, "How about it NOT on Warner Archive"? But, it's from before 1985, so we know the answer to that. :(
And the fan-dismissing response would tend to verify that, yes, the Archive is exactly what we thought it was. (Then again, proper spelling and a more complex wording wouldn't have ruined the fan image either.)

And Forsyth really only did three-and-a-half funny films in his entire career--if we sort of count That Sinking Feeling as a home movie that came later--before he turned into a morose, preachy self-repeating weirdo after Comfort & Joy, but Local Hero is still his one "mainstream" film for those who hadn't already gotten a taste for his gently buttoned-down on Gregory's Girl.
What a piss ass remark to make about a company trying to bring some of the classics to bluray. They have released a number of releases that I have been asking for.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ejanss said:

And Forsyth really only did three-and-a-half funny films in his entire career--if we sort of count That Sinking Feeling as a home movie that came later--before he turned into a morose, preachy self-repeating weirdo after Comfort & Joy, but Local Hero is still his one "mainstream" film for those who hadn't already gotten a taste for his gently buttoned-down oddness in Gregory's Girl.
A matter of opinion that I don't agree with and chances are some others don't either as we tend to have diverse opinions on this forum.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
JamesNelson said:
Put me down for Local Hero as well, and NOT on MOD. Excellent fish out of water film, probably my second favorite Lancaster performance behind The Swimmer.
There is an oop DVD on this that I have but I would gladly replace it with a Blu-ray.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Robert Crawford said:
A matter of opinion that I don't agree with and chances are some others don't either as we tend to have diverse opinions on this forum.
You're right, on second read, it could sound like just a we-feel-your-pain from the middle guys who can't do anything about decisions from the nervous, looney, reactionary top--
It just sounded, on first read, like the sort of weary fan-blowoff Bob Iger gives to Disney Song of the South-hounding fans.

But with less people in the catalog department, there may be less chances taken in the Archive-to-Blu area.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ejanss said:
You're right, on second read, it could sound like just a we-feel-your-pain from the middle guys who can't do anything about decisions from the nervous, looney, reactionary top--
It just sounded, on first read, like the sort of weary fan-blowoff Bob Iger gives to Disney Song of the South-hounding fans.

But with less people in the catalog department, there may be less chances taken in the Archive-to-Blu area.
I doubt it as I think they're farming some of that work out as it's probably cheaper to do so.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
The old DVD (Warner Bros) is very respectable but there's so much in this movie that would benefit from a top Blu ray transfer .. the ocean, the Northern Lights, the girl who swims like a mermaid .....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks