Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

The Royal Tenenbaums Blu-ray Review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,356 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 12 2012 - 12:56 PM

Wes Anderson’s The Royal Tenenbaums is a kind of eccentric family saga that makes it this new millennium’s answer to You Can’t Take It With You. Über-precious with a droll sense of comedy and an extremely dry style, The Royal Tenenbaums, like all of Wes Anderson’s work, is for a moviegoer who values unconventional behavior and oddness for the sake of oddness rather than for a captivating, labyrinthine plot or dynamic action.

Posted Image
Covers of books and magazines which appear in the film

There are two theatrical trailers presented in montage fashion which run a total of 4 ¼ minutes.

The set includes two inserts: a folded pamphlet which contains the chapter listings, cast and crew lists, and critic Kent Jones’ write-up on the career of Wes Anderson with a focus on his first three features and a second folded pamphlet which contains a detailed map/layout and artwork of the Tenenbaum characters and home by artist Eric Anderson.

The Criterion Blu-rays include a maneuvering tool called “Timeline” which can be pulled up from the menu or by pushing the red button on the remote. It shows you your progress on the disc, the title of the chapter you’re now in, and index markers for the commentary that goes along with the film, all of which can be switched on the fly. Additionally, two other buttons on the remote can place or remove bookmarks if you decide to stop viewing before reaching the end of the film or want to mark specific places for later reference.

In Conclusion

4/5 (not an average)

Wes Anderson’s goofy but rather touching saga of a family torn apart and revitalizing itself gets a first-rate transition to Blu-ray via this Criterion release of The Royal Tenenbaums. Picture and sound are excellent, and the bonus material carried over from the previous DVD release makes valuable supplementary information for the feature film. Recommended!

Matt Hough

Charlotte, NC

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,041 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted August 13 2012 - 06:33 AM

Thanks Matt.  This is on sale this week at Best Buy for $19.99.  While I am not a huge Wes Anderson fan, this is the one film of his that occassionally gets re-watched.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,356 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 13 2012 - 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich /t/322964/the-royal-tenenbaums-blu-ray-review#post_3961617 Thanks Matt.  This is on sale this week at Best Buy for $19.99.  While I am not a huge Wes Anderson fan, this is the one film of his that occassionally gets re-watched.
 Yes, I saw that it was on sale, and I was so glad for fans of the film to be able to pick up this very beautiful Blu-ray copy without having to wait for the next B&N sale.   I did notice this morning that it was in the top ten best sellers on Blu-ray at Amazon.

#4 of 8 ONLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,714 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted August 13 2012 - 09:12 AM

Fun [personal] factoid: I graduated from the same high school as Gene Hackman (and several other famous celebrities), and have met him two or three times in real life, when he'd visit our mutual hometown of Danville, IL. One of these times was back in late 2000, when he and I both happened to walk into the same restaurant there (he actually remembered my name!), around two days after he'd wrapped shooting on this film in NYC. Being a major Wes Anderson fan, he got me excited for it months before it ever hit theaters. While I think that 3.5/5 is a tad on the lowball-side for a rating of the film as a whole, this was a great review.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   rob kilbride

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor

• 713 posts

Posted September 16 2013 - 11:03 AM

Does anyone know if all the bonus features were ported over from the DVD release?

Edited by rob kilbride, September 16 2013 - 12:14 PM.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,383 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted September 18 2013 - 04:24 PM

To be honest I have not directly compared the DVD and BD, like in two separate players and flicking back and forth to see if they're the same. But the covers of both seem to indicate the BD has all the features from the DVD. They are even listed with extremely similar wording and in the same order on both covers.

You didn't ask, but the very decent insert from the DVD is very similar with the BD, just smaller in format (as you probably guessed...). Doesn't look like you'd miss anything if you got rid of the DVD, which is actually a pretty decent DVD IMO.

Disclaimer: my Criterion/Touchstone DVD is the Canadian version. I don't know what that means, because there's no French anywhere on the packaging or discs. I suspect the only diff is the Canadian flag and rating on the slipcover, it's all made/printed in the U.S.A. My BD is the same as sold in the U.S., probably the only "version".

Edited by CraigF, September 18 2013 - 04:27 PM.

#7 of 8 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,071 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 18 2013 - 06:37 PM

I sold off the DVD when I got the Blu-ray but I remember that there's either an easter egg or a menu screen with an outtake of Ben Stiller and sons shaving in the mirror that isn't ported over. Whatever isn't ported over is very minor things like that.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   rob kilbride

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor

• 713 posts

Posted September 19 2013 - 08:30 PM

Thanks guys. If the easter egg is missing I'll probably just keep the DVD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users