Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Computer Media Center Question

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 jcabstractfacts

jcabstractfacts

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted August 12 2012 - 06:20 AM

I have a custom PC that I am putting the finishing touches on that I would like to run two video/audio sources, HDMI from a Xbox 360 and a Cable Receiver, through. I would like the setup to allow me to watch both sources through my computer monitor in 1080p with audio coming through the computer speakers. I would like to know what type of device would allow me to do this, without a degrade in quality. *The speakers have TRS, XLR, and RCA inputs *Computer has an open PCI-Express 2.0 slot *600 Watt Power Supply charges the system

#2 of 6

Posted August 13 2012 - 04:42 PM

Most computers don't have HDMI input, they have HDMI outputs.  To be honest I have seen a PC do what you are wanting it to do for video.  I also haven't seen multiple audio (line level) inputs on a PC.

Does your computer monitor have multiple HDMI or DVI inputs?  If so, then you can route your XBox and STB to the PC Monitor and just do the video switching.  Alternatively, if your STB has HDMI out, you could get a HDMI switcher and then you would have your PC, STB and XBox all go into the switcher and you would switch video sources to the monitor.

This however, gets to the audio part, which is more tricky,  I haven't seen any Media Center PC's that are the equivalent of a AVR (i.e. take in multiple sources and switch them to one output).

You might look at this HD PVR from Hauppauge.  It's on Amazon for $189.

It is rare to have any electronic device that has the ability to record have an HDMI input, because of all the legal issues with HD copyright.  The component video gets around that, but at some point there is a sunset clause on HD content being able to be passed through to something like a PC in analog format.

At any rate, it's going to be tough to do what you want through a media center PC.

#3 of 6 sandra88

sandra88

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted August 19 2012 - 06:05 PM

i already visited the link but its price is pretty expensive zombie wedding cake

#4 of 6 Mike Bassi

Mike Bassi

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted August 19 2012 - 06:33 PM

Sorry to hijack the thread, but can this HD PVR from Hauppauge send stuff from my dish network, and save them to my PC? From what it looked like, I can watch and record HD content, than transfer the movie or show straight to my computer, and rewatch it or keep as a movie file? Sorry to ask this on his thread.

#5 of 6

Posted August 23 2012 - 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Bassi 

Sorry to hijack the thread, but can this HD PVR from Hauppauge send stuff from my dish network, and save them to my PC? From what it looked like, I can watch and record HD content, than transfer the movie or show straight to my computer, and rewatch it or keep as a movie file? Sorry to ask this on his thread.

Very interesting.  I worked on the Windows Media Center team for Windows 7 and we were working with DISH to integrate them into Windows 7 Media Center, but the project never completed.

When I looked at this reference to the HD PVR it looks like it would work for what you want to do.  It says it is in beta testing now, but that would be a really easy way to watch content.

I'm not clear how it actually gets guide data for DISH and makes it available to WMC so you can schedule recordings.  I'm also not entirely clear how it communicates with the DISH STB, outside of via IR, which is always kind of sketchy.

#6 of 6 Mike Bassi

Mike Bassi

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted August 28 2012 - 01:05 PM

Ok wil check it out. Thanks so much Kevin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users