What's new

Sound output from samsung smart tv (1 Viewer)

cornishrooster

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Hello everyone, Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I've been working on my home theater for awhile and I know a good amount but this latest issue has me scratching my head. My lg plasma died so I bought the new PN60e8000 samsung plasma. Since it's a smart tv I can watch netflix etc on the tv but the sound only comes through the tv not my receiver. Now before hdmi it was easy component in and optical in and out. Anyhow I've tried plugging the optical into the same available port as an already claimed hdmi spot.. example ps3 is on "br/hd" hdmi spot and I plugged the optical into the same "br/hd" optical port. I've also tried putting it on an unused spot like "mdcdr" and still no sound. mdcdr wouldn't normally have video since it's an audio source but the tv doesn't use the receiver to pull video from since the "smart tv" apps come from the tv itself. I'm sure it's an easy fix or I hope it is. Trying to get this done with a 2 year old screaming in my ear so concentration is at an all time low. Also if anyone knows how I can get my ps3 to play 3d movies through my receiver that would be nice too. I'm fairly certain my receiver only supports hdmi 1.3 but hoping there's a way around it. Like perhaps running a separate cable to the tv and getting the sound to play through the receiver. Hope this isn't too confusing!
Here's the set-up
- samsung pn60e8000 plasma
- yamaha rxv-1900 receiver (though probably upgrading to marantz sr7005 with balanced inputs soon)
-emotiva xpa5 amp
- ps3/xbox360
- B&W nautilus 804 towers
- B&W nautilus HTM1 center
- B&W ds3 s2 sides
- B&W nautilus 805 rears
Thanks again.
Mike

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
How are you receiving your programming on the tv? Cable, satellite, or over the air antenna?
If it's cable or satellite, you need to run the HDMI from the cable/sat box to the receiver first, not the tv. Then when you want to watch tv, you choose the CBL/DBS button on your receiver's remote. 99% of tvs send 2.0 to receiver, if you go through the tv first. That way, the best sound you'll get is simulated surround (Dolby Pro Logic II).
If you can't get 3-D running through receiver first, you may have to go to the tv from cable/sat box or BD player, with HDMI for video, and go from cable/sat box or BD player with optical or digital coax for audio, to the receiver. You won't get the HD audio formats over optical or digital coax, but trying to get 3-D, without a 3-D receiver, you may have no choice. For tv, you'd still push the CBL/DBS button on the receiver, instead of tv button. For both tv and BD, in these circumstances (HDMI to tv, and audio cable to receiver), don't forget to change to the correct input on tv, with tv's remote. Good luck! I hope this helps. :)

cornishrooster

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Sorry... I knew that I didn't explain it well enough. I know how to hook everything up to the receiver that's the easy part. If I'm watching netflix on the smart tv the sound only comes through the tv. This is because the netflix app is within the samsung tv and it is streaming over wifi from my router. Since hmdi cables aren't two way cables there's no way for the sound to get to my receiver. So I would have to have another cable going from a tv output (not input) back to the router so that any sound produced from the netflix tv app itself would then be carried to the receiver to play through my speakers. I do have a optical out on the tv. I'm curious if anyone has set there theater up to run in this configuration?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
You can try the optical from the tv to the receiver. Normally, that is used to get surround from the tv's internal tuner, when using an antenna.
But, since you say it's going to the tv only, it won't hurt to try it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You might want to make sure the APP sound can make it out of the TV. Our Panasonic APPs the sound is held hostage in the TV...
Hence why I don't use the apps.

cornishrooster

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
schan1269 said:
You might want to make sure the APP sound can make it out of the TV. Our Panasonic APPs the sound is held hostage in the TV...
Hence why I don't use the apps.
Did your manual tell you that? I was looking through the manual and it doesn't mention it. Rather annoying.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Doesn't say either way in the manual. The only two apps we tried were Facebook and Pandora. Hooked up using ARC and toslink...the sound would only work with the internal speakers.
Checked on a Panny forum and others said the same thing. Seems on many TV's the apps are held hostage.
Facebook videos would kick out to Facebook/Youtube and no sound unless the internal speakers were turned back on.

Ctrax1212

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
not sure if you have the solution but with several hours and several tech people i have finally fixed this. One person out of about 7 had the correct solution. I have my Yamaha receiver plugged into my cable box with RCA jack. I had to buy an optical sound cord that I run from the back of the TV into my optical sound slot on my reciever. My reciever actually has two optical options - CATV and DVD. Not sure why, but the CATV woould not work, but as soon as i plugged into the DVD optical it now overrides the cable sound and switches to Netflix, Pandora or my computer play lists. I hope this helps - it finally worked for me. If you need additional help, let me know.

fishman

Auditioning
Real Name
jeff fisher
I also have recently purchased a samsung smart TV. I'm having the same problem. Not sure if your TV has an HDMI input that has ARC functionality. The ARC is audio return cahnnel, which allows the adui from your TV to go back to your reciever. Your receiver needs to have the capability. Mine does, but I still can't get this to work. Good luck on finding a solution.

aricm

Auditioning
Real Name
Aric
fishman, Just wondering if you've been able to rectify the issue with utilizing ARC on your Samsung TV? I've literally had this same issue for well over a year and have posts spread out across a number of threads/websites. And not to mention have not had much luck with direct manufacturer support. In my case, I'm using a Samsung (PN64D800) with a Harman Kardon AVR 3650 and both of course support ARC. I have never been able to get any media shared music/videos on the TV to push sound to the receiver, only able to get sound via TV internal speakers. It's been quite frustrating. Anyway, I have direct TV box via HDMI to receiver, then ARC high speed HDMI from receiver to ARC on TV and then TV is hard wired via ethernet to router. All works fine with content, just audio has been a disappointment. So was just curious if you've found a solution. Thanks Aric

mlwinnig

Auditioning
Real Name
Marc Lee
HR"LI have essentially the same problem but with a twist on the new Samsung Plasma PN64F8500 and Denon AVR-3212 receiver. I seem to recall a setup option to select TV audio as "receiver". I did not take it, thinking I would change it later after getting the TV setup and hooked up to the receiver. Unfortunately it seems I missed my chance, as now my only options are TV internal speakers or external speakers. "Receiver" option is greyed out and cannot be selected. Looking for a way to select receiver output without having to restore the TV to factory defaults. Any clues anyone? Thanks!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
mlwinnig said:
HR"LI have essentially the same problem but with a twist on the new Samsung Plasma PN64F8500 and Denon AVR-3212 receiver. I seem to recall a setup option to select TV audio as "receiver". I did not take it, thinking I would change it later after getting the TV setup and hooked up to the receiver. Unfortunately it seems I missed my chance, as now my only options are TV internal speakers or external speakers. "Receiver" option is greyed out and cannot be selected. Looking for a way to select receiver output without having to restore the TV to factory defaults. Any clues anyone? Thanks!
For my Samsung E6500 if i want surround sound ( from the TV's satellite input when watching an HD film) i hook up via optical out on the TV to optical in on my Yamaha AV receiver and then i choose external speakers to mute the TV sound and then i go into the TV's audio menu and select Dolby Digital, PCM gives 2 channel only, Dolby gets you the surround sound.

For the PS3 i hook an HDMI straight into the AV Receiver and HDMI out from the receiver to TV, another option is an optical cable from the PS3 ( for older AV Receivers lacking 3D support ) and an HDMI from the PS3 to the TV, this will get surround sound and 3D, obviously not lossless sound but its the best compromise available unless you upgrade the receiver.

STHOMP15

Auditioning
Real Name
ESTEBAN
OMG seriously guys? Your receiver or audio or cable doesnt support audio return channel...simple solution. connect all of your set top boxes (blu ray, cable box, gaming console) via hdmi to your receiver. Now if you have a smart tv or you want to play something from the usb port on your tv and you want that audio to come out of your external audio....simple solution.

HOOK UP THE OPTICAL CABLE! FROM TV (AUDIO DIGITAL OPTICAL OUT) to AUDIO DIGITAL OPTICAL IN on your receiver. (keep in mind that some yamahas and other receivers have multiple optical inputs but only one designated for the TV so make sure that the optical is in the right input. NEXT, fire up your streaming video on your tv and then select TV as the input or source on your receiver... PROBLEM SOLVED!

enjoy your hometheater experience and your new samsung smart tv. bye

MadCow82

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
My samsung smart tv has arc output ONLY in HDMI 2 port on the TV(believe it also says ARC next to the port). If you use the other HDMI ports to your receiver it will not work.I believe i went through whatever settings in the tv that were recommended and also turned ARC on my receiver settings (pioneer elite) but they key was this:- HDMI 2 on TV to one of the available receiver HDMI ports- receiver powered on after smart tv program loads (main menu of smart tv) it seems my receiver wont pick up the arc signal unless the tv software has already kicked in. Anyway, all of my apps work with ARC, netflix, amazon mp3 and amazon instant video, pandora. It also supported stereo and surround sound for HD movies to my receiver.Hope this helps.Cheers

mwinnick

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
My receiver, an old Sony, does not have HDMI input. I run the audio from my cable box into the receiver and then to external peaker system.

When I watch TV, DVR, etc, I select the Cable box input and I have sound. When I run Netflix I get no sound, mainly because it doesn't go through the cable box. So I have to tell my TV to use internal speakers and not the externals.

How do I get Netflix, or my TV, a Samsung Smart TV 8000 series, to output sound to the receiver? Does this also mean that if I do that I will have to select a different input on the receiver, instead of Cable Box?

Thanks

Finster

Auditioning
Real Name
Art Schwabenbauer
I have not seen my exact problem in any of the replies, so I'm going to add to the discussion. I just purchased a new Samsung SMART LED TV which I have hooked up to my old Sony Tuner using the "Digital Audio Out" jack through an optical cable and Digital/Analog converter to standard "RCA" red/white cables kind of setup. When viewing live TV, I get sound through my tuner to my external speakers. When using Pandora through my blu-ray player, viewed on my TV, I get sound through my tuner to my external speakers. When viewing streaming video on my TV using the Netflix or Amazon apps, I do not get sound through my tuner to my external speakers. In addition, the sound from the streaming videos is extremely low and I have to turn up the TV volume dramatically in order to be able to hear properly. I also have the ability to run Netflix from my blu-ray player. When I run Netflix that way, I do get sound through my tuner to my external speakers. It almost seems like the sound from the TV apps is not getting to the "Digital Audio Out" jack, since I do get sound from live TV broadcasts. Any of you seen this one?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Yes - there are some TVs that "trap" the audio from any internal apps to the TV itself. The audio is NOT output via any of the display's audio outputs.

It is for this reason, that having streaming apps in other devices (like your Blu-ray player) is often preferred.

If you can provide the specific model number of your TV, we can check the manual online to see if there is any mention made of not being able to send app audio to external devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks