Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

Jaws Blu-ray Review - Very Highly Recommended

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
378 replies to this topic

#41 of 379 OFFLINE   johnSM

johnSM

Second Unit

• 435 posts

Posted August 14 2012 - 01:46 AM

Of all the moments of terror in the film, the first one with Chrissie, bothers me the most. No visible shark or blood but I experience her terror and pain more than any other event in the movie. Not even Quint's demise bothers me as much. I often zip thru this attack because it bothers me so much.
Oh thank goodness I'm not alone - thought it was just me being a wuss-pants :) I have to skip that scene everytime. I think it's because the camera is so close to her face, and we know/imagine whats happening beneath the water to that poor victim. It's extremely powerful and shocking. That plus the additional fact the actress really was in a lot of pain filming that scene (didn't she break, or crack a rib being pulled around in the water? Need to see the documentary again). The 'it hurts' screams being for real! I even find it tough getting through that scene on the soundtrack cd! Still absolutely stuns me that this film was/is only a PG!!!

#42 of 379 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,557 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted August 14 2012 - 09:46 AM

I'm wondering if I'm the only one who feels this way. There is one scene that nearly takes me out of the movie. When Alex Kitner's mom comes to the dock and slaps Brodie, the actress just doesn't pull it off. I can see her act. I know they used locals for some of the parts and I figure she's one. This is the only scene that doesn't ring true for me.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#43 of 379 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,048 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 14 2012 - 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell /t/322958/jaws-blu-ray-review-very-highly-recommended/30#post_3962163 I'm wondering if I'm the only one who feels this way. There is one scene that nearly takes me out of the movie. When Alex Kitner's mom comes to the dock and slaps Brodie, the actress just doesn't pull it off. I can see her act. I know they used locals for some of the parts and I figure she's one. This is the only scene that doesn't ring true for me.
Lee Fierro also reprises her role as Mrs. Kinter in JAWS, THE REVENGE.  Her only two movie roles to date.  She also appears as herself in THE SHARK IS STILL WORKING.  And yeah I agree, she could have use some help from Mr. Spielberg to get a point across. 
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#44 of 379 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 2,014 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted August 14 2012 - 10:18 AM

I'm wondering if I'm the only one who feels this way. There is one scene that nearly takes me out of the movie. When Alex Kitner's mom comes to the dock and slaps Brodie, the actress just doesn't pull it off. I can see her act. I know they used locals for some of the parts and I figure she's one. This is the only scene that doesn't ring true for me.

I thought the scene was terrific. She should have given acting lessons to Dreyfuss - who gets the overacting award for the scene where he examines Chrissie's remains. A performance John Belushi had a field day with on SNL.

http://www.spike.com...tf2i/land-shark

#45 of 379 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,224 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 14 2012 - 10:40 AM

I thought the scene was terrific. She should have given acting lessons to Dreyfuss - who gets the overacting award for the scene where he examines Chrissie's remains.
He's supposed to be big in that scene though. He's being sarcastic and basically saying "This is clearly not an accident so how the hell are you guys saying that it is?"

#46 of 379 OFFLINE   MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific Railroad.

• 561 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted August 14 2012 - 10:47 AM

Lee Fierro also reprises her role as Mrs. Kinter in JAWS, THE REVENGE.  Her only two movie roles to date.  She also appears as herself in THE SHARK IS STILL WORKING.  And yeah I agree, she could have use some help from Mr. Spielberg to get a point across. 
I got to meet Lee Fierro this weekend at JawsFest. She was in attendance for the Saturday night screening, and the audience went nuts during that slap. Absolutely nuts. I also think she's great.

#47 of 379 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 2,014 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted August 14 2012 - 11:01 AM

He's supposed to be big in that scene though. He's being sarcastic and basically saying "This is clearly not an accident so how the hell are you guys saying that it is?"
Don't misunderstand. I have no problem with the script nor the intent of Dreyfuss' performance. It's the execution that's the issue. Belushi does a fantastic take of Dreyfuss' heaving shoulders ... you would have thought he just won gold in the 400 meter dash.

#48 of 379 OFFLINE   NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted August 14 2012 - 12:26 PM

I got to meet Lee Fierro this weekend at JawsFest. She was in attendance for the Saturday night screening, and the audience went nuts during that slap. Absolutely nuts. I also think she's great.
Best wishes to her, but didn't anyone else get the impression she looked more like Alex Kitner's GRANDmother in the movie?

#49 of 379 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,224 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 14 2012 - 12:34 PM

Best wishes to her, but didn't anyone else get the impression she looked more like Alex Kitner's GRANDmother in the movie?
Yep. Until I saw the deleted scenes on the laserdisc where it's made clear that it's her dad, I wasn't sure if the old man with her when she confronts Brody was her dad or husband or just a friend.

#50 of 379 OFFLINE   NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted August 14 2012 - 01:06 PM

Yep. Until I saw the deleted scenes on the laserdisc where it's made clear that it's her dad, I wasn't sure if the old man with her when she confronts Brody was her dad or husband or just a friend.
She's talking about the kid's fingers beginning to prune, and she's wrinkled as a raisin. I like her, she seems real nice, but she looked waaay too old to have had that kid herself. Maybe she adopted him after her first kids grew up and moved out.

#51 of 379 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,570 posts

Posted August 14 2012 - 01:13 PM

Seems like retailers in my area may have underestimated the demand for this title on Blu-ray. I went to Best Buy, Target, and Fry's this afternoon and all of them were completely sold out (Best Buy had a few of the standalone DVDs left). Has anyone else had trouble finding it?
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#52 of 379 OFFLINE   Patrick Donahue

Patrick Donahue

Second Unit

• 440 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted August 14 2012 - 01:22 PM

I got mine the day before release day at Best Buy (when people wouldn't have been looking for it) and at that point they only had 2 copies on the shelf. Best Buy has become so inconsistant in carrying catalog titles I have almost exclusively turned to pre-ordering on Amazon. BB complains that Amazon is hurting their business but when they have chances to provide good customer service they keep dropping the ball.

#53 of 379 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,213 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted August 14 2012 - 01:30 PM

According to this People piece from 2000, Lee Fierro was 71 in 2000, making her 45 when the film was shot, so yeah, way too frickin' old to be Alex Kintner's mom in real life.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#54 of 379 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,542 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted August 14 2012 - 01:31 PM

Went to BB at noon for my digibook, and a friend and I got the last two copies in the store.  Five minutes later we would have missed, and NATURALLY the store people had no idea how soon they'd be getting any more.  And they were down to six copies of the regular BD release.     BTW, there was nothing indicating the digibook was a Best Buy exclusive.  (Maybe I misunderstood that.)   They had set up one row for "Jaws" on their new release racks, with four or five "columns" for the regular BD, and two for the digibook.  If those were full this morning, then those sales should make somebody there take notice.   Costco had a couple of dozen BDs.  Didn't look anywhere else.

#55 of 379 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,899 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 14 2012 - 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H /t/322958/jaws-blu-ray-review-very-highly-recommended/30#post_3962282

According to this People piece from 2000, Lee Fierro was 71 in 2000, making her 45 when the film was shot, so yeah, way too frickin' old to be Alex Kintner's mom in real life.

I'm not so sure about that as my mother had my younger brother when she was in her late 30s back in 1965, and Alex Kintner appeared to be about 8 or 9 years old.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#56 of 379 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,899 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 14 2012 - 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattAlbie60 /t/322958/jaws-blu-ray-review-very-highly-recommended/30#post_3962202 I got to meet Lee Fierro this weekend at JawsFest. She was in attendance for the Saturday night screening, and the audience went nuts during that slap. Absolutely nuts. I also think she's great.
  Me too, I don't agree with the criticism about her acting. 

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#57 of 379 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,899 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 14 2012 - 02:33 PM

As to this BRD, perfect, exactly why I love this hobby.  I wasn't this excited watching a BRD in a long time.  It was like seeing it new all over again.  A great job by everyone involved with this BRD production.                 Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#58 of 379 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,542 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 14 2012 - 02:54 PM

I'm not so sure about that as my mother had my younger brother when she was in her late 30s back in 1965, and Alex Kintner appeared to be about 8 or 9 years old. Crawdaddy
My mother was forty-two when she had me. So apparently there is a "frickin'" way for her to be his mother.

#59 of 379 OFFLINE   Mark Oates

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted August 14 2012 - 02:57 PM

Of all the moments of terror in the film, the first one with Chrissie, bothers me the most. No visible shark or blood but I experience her terror and pain more than any other event in the movie. Not even Quint's demise bothers me as much. I often zip thru this attack because it bothers me so much. Gore is not required to create true terror.
Another ditto for me. Chrissie's demise freaks me out completely. I'd go so far as to say it's one of the most chilling deaths in the movies. It's got everything - the unsuspecting victim doing something they've done a thousand times. The incomprehension as the strike takes place, dissolving into sheer terror as she realises her predicament. The isolation of the victim - her friends are a matter of yards away and they might as well be light years, not that they'd be able to do anything to help her. The sheer physicality of the attack - the shark shakes her like a terrier shaking a rat. And then she's gone without a trace, leaving her drunk boyfriend belching in the surf blissfully unaware that his skinnydipping partner has been eaten. Damn, it still gives me the shivers. My Mum tells me about the impact of the shower scene in Psycho - she saw it the week it came out. Freaked her out completely, but what made it worse was nobody would believe her that Janet Leigh would wind up deaded in the first reel. She was a movie star. Chrissie is my generation's Marion Crane. I can't recall a screen death since that's had the impact of that first shark attack and while I'm looking forward to the Blu-ray, I'm not looking forward to seeing Chrissie become sharkbait again.
J Mark Oates
Do Not Be Afraid. That sound is simply my mind boggling.

#60 of 379 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 2,014 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted August 14 2012 - 03:13 PM

Women don't have babies in their 30's where you live? 'Cause I'm wondering what part of "real life" you're talking about ...

Fantasy life ... that's Hollywood. Where Jimmy Stewart plays a high school grad at age 38.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users