Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Question Regarding HDMI

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 captkel

captkel

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted August 09 2012 - 12:41 PM

I am not at all knowledgeable on this stuff but I can follow directions..I am trying to connect a new Denon AV Surround Receiver with speakers to my Panasonic TV flat screen that we installed on the wall in our new house about 7-8 yrs ago. The instructions are calling for me to connect a HDMI cable to the back of the Denon unit then to the television...my question is this..I do not see a place to connect a HDMI cable to the TV..maybe this is something on more recent TV sets...anyway, what other choices do I have..I also notice a place on back of the receiver that is marked "monitor" (same as beside the HDMI spot on back of the receiver), can this be used and if so where on the TV should it go.?

#2 of 7 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,442 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted August 09 2012 - 12:53 PM

If your TV has no HDMI, check to see if it has DVI. You can get an HDMI-to-DVI adapter to carry the picture, but not the sound. If you don't have HDMI or DVI on your TV, you have yellow/red/white AV inputs, probably a few. The yellow input is for video. You would run monitor from the AV receiver to the yellow input of your choice...but it won't be high definition. HDMI and DVI will be high def depending on the source you send it (blu-ray, high def cable, etc.) And of course, you run all your sources do the AV receiver (blu-ray, DVD, cable box). It acts as your hub. And welcome to HTF!

#3 of 7 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,655 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted August 09 2012 - 12:55 PM

There is also component video(which will work on BD 2011 and older)... Tell us the receiver and TV and we can provide better help.

#4 of 7 captkel

captkel

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted August 09 2012 - 12:57 PM

Thanks man..I know what you are talking about now...very much appreciated...thanks for the welcome also!

#5 of 7 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,442 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted August 09 2012 - 12:59 PM

I should have also mentioned component video--red, green, and blue RCA jacks. These carry HD signals.

#6 of 7 captkel

captkel

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted August 09 2012 - 12:59 PM

DENON AVR-1612..and a Panasonic TH 42 PA20...whatever that means :)

#7 of 7 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,655 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted August 09 2012 - 01:01 PM

Since you apparently do have DVI... Buy an actual DVI-HDMI cable...skip the adapter...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users