-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

S.H.I.E.L.D. (Joss Whedon's Live Action Marvel Universe TV Series on ABC)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
542 replies to this topic

#281 of 543 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,121 posts

Posted February 04 2014 - 08:10 PM

That was a wonderful episode tonight, maybe even my favorite thus far.  It was in my opinion the greatest challenge faced by the team to this point, too.  Skye will survive given her importance to the Coulson storyline, but it was nevertheless quite eerie to see her injured as badly as she was.

Matt,

That time-frame perspective was very well done, I thought.  I found it a bit confusing until I caught on to what was happening.

#282 of 543 Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 2,559 posts

Posted February 04 2014 - 08:38 PM

Yep, this episode was quite good.
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#283 of 543 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted February 04 2014 - 09:30 PM

I know people are of different minds where this show is concerned, but man, tonight is really good. 

Yeah, I really enjoyed the episode quite a bit.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#284 of 543 Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper

Screenwriter

• 1,242 posts

Posted February 05 2014 - 08:47 AM

Very good episode, I felt that Coulson's acting was 100% improved in this episode.  In past it kind of seemed that he was sleepwalking through the role.  Last night he was pretty serious and intense.

Did I see that right in the upcoming preview, that we aren't getting a new episode for another month?

-Jeff Cooper

"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

#285 of 543 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,857 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted February 05 2014 - 08:55 AM

best ep of the season,

Stan the man cameo, Incredible Hulk reference, for those that may have missed it ( so Abomination / Blonsky is in cryo, and the worst job in S.H.I.E.L.D. is the night watch on him)

damn, next new ep isn't happing till march 4th

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#286 of 543 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,087 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 06 2014 - 05:49 PM

I'm still not feeling it. If it weren't set in the Marvel universe, I probably would have stopped watching by now. The biggest problem is tonal; it still doesn't have a strong grasp on when to be humorous and when to be serious.

I liked the splintered storytelling with the same time frame being shown three or four times but always from different points of view of the team. Some nice surprises. Loved Fitz tonight.

This show sort of feels like film school at times, where it tries on different story structures to see how they fit. Usually this sort of "Rashomon"-esque device is used to alter the audience's perception of events as each piece is unveiled. Except for the reveal that Coulson and Ward had frozen rather than the train vanishing, there was nothing in the episode that was better served by the splintered narrative than if it had just been intercut linearly.

I will give the show points for the train shooting though. Either they were really shooting on a moving train, or the special effects guys did a tremendous job keeping the set jostling around. So many train scenes are obviously a static set with either rear projection footage or green screen outside the windows. The train scenes really felt like a train in motion.

#287 of 543 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,857 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted February 24 2014 - 11:20 AM

Although I hate the padded time gaps between new episodes, I understand the need so that other factors in the MCU come in to play. Why did I bring all of this up, it doesn’t have as much to do with Bill Paxton and Co coming to the show, as it does with the fallout that should happen in the next season, after Captain America: The Winter Soldier, if you have seen the trailer, you know what I am talking about; if you haven’t seen it, you should!  Cap is part of SHIELD, so there has to be some kind of influence that shows up on this show as well, hence it might take a darker turn. That might help some of this along a little better, to tie into the MCU.

also, I know that the Netflix series, isn't till 2015, but do you think that this show will reference those guys? considering it is still on the air.

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#288 of 543 NeilO

NeilO

Screenwriter

• 2,589 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 06:42 PM

it does with the fallout that should happen in the next season, after Captain America: The Winter Soldier, if you have seen the trailer, you know what I am talking about; if you haven’t seen it, you should!  Cap is part of SHIELD, so there has to be some kind of influence that shows up on this show as well, hence it might take a darker turn. That might help some of this along a little better, to tie into the MCU.

Well, Captain America is due to be released April 4.  That will put SHIELD about halfway through the remaining 9 episodes of the season (assuming no more repeats).  The first Thor crossover episode happened just after Thor: Dark World was released.   I have heard rumors that there may be immediate impact on SHIELD from what happens in the new Captain America movie.  They have been wanting the show and the movies to have synergy with each other.  

#289 of 543 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,552 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted February 27 2014 - 11:23 AM

damn, next new ep isn't happing till march 4th

I hate that, having to wait ages for new episodes of this and NCIS and The Mentalist.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#290 of 543 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,652 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted February 27 2014 - 08:52 PM

I hate that, having to wait ages for new episodes of this and NCIS and The Mentalist.

That's Tuesday night.  Everyone got out of the way of the Olympics this year.  It might not have been a good idea in hindsight, but no one really could be confident the ratings in Sochi would be down.

#291 of 543 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,857 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted February 28 2014 - 03:22 PM

I was surprised at how many programs took a break during that time frame, great, not good counter programing would have gone head to head with it. I for one have absolutely have not had one bit of interest in this Olympics. the 12 hr or so delay that NBC had, already have the results on the internet as soon as it happens, so, it wasn't important.

yes I hope the next 9 or so ep's steam roll along, with no repeats

Playing at the Drive In

#292 of 543 Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 2,559 posts

Posted March 01 2014 - 08:17 AM

I think there may be no new episode on March 18th because of this:image.jpg

Unless they are moving it to 9pm that day.

#293 of 543 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,087 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 04 2014 - 06:17 PM

A pretty well-plotted episode tonight. Glad to see there was some logic behind shooting Skye, rather than just a contrived plot development for a cliffhanger ahead of an extended break. The alien corpse in the T.A.H.I.T.I. freezer was kind of icky, even though I was secretly hoping for a room full of Coulson corpses behind the door.

The post credits scene was a nice little WTF moment.

#294 of 543 NeilO

NeilO

Screenwriter

• 2,589 posts

Posted March 04 2014 - 06:27 PM

A pretty well-plotted episode tonight. Glad to see there was some logic behind shooting Skye, rather than just a contrived plot development for a cliffhanger ahead of an extended break. The alien corpse in the T.A.H.I.T.I. freezer was kind of icky, even though I was secretly hoping for a room full of Coulson corpses behind the door.

The post credits scene was a nice little WTF moment.

Yes, I was thinking there might be a Coulson corpse in there as well.  So, the alien corpse is creating the GH serums?  Weird.

Too bad Coulson couldn't get in touch with Fury to get the countersign.  That would have saved a lot of trouble.

#295 of 543 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,771 posts

Posted March 05 2014 - 07:12 AM

I enjoyed last night's episode a lot. Some great moments and lots of intense moments too. Was that alien someone recognizable in the Marvel Universe? He looked like Dr, Manhattan to me, but obviously that's all wrong. An alien from the Avengers movie? Looking forward to Jamie Alexander's appearance next week. Lady Sif is a great character and was underutilized in the Thor movies.

#296 of 543 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,857 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted March 05 2014 - 07:27 AM

T.A.H.I.T.I.

well I guess it was a magical place, just not what they were expecting, 

Playing at the Drive In

#297 of 543 Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 2,559 posts

Posted March 05 2014 - 07:41 AM

Whatever the origin is of the corpse, it's BIG.

image.jpg

#298 of 543 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,121 posts

Posted March 05 2014 - 10:16 AM

That was quite an episode last night. And the last scene was more than eerie. I thought I was either 1) watching a different show altogether; or 2) in the Q Continuum (as portrayed in the VOY episode "Death Wish"). I had no idea what was going on. But once I realized what was occurring I appreciated the episode even more. And the entire T.A.H.I.T.I. scenes were extremely sci-fi (relative to much of the content of the show I've seen thus far) which I loved.

#299 of 543 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,148 posts

Posted March 05 2014 - 01:28 PM

Not knowing much about the Marvel comics, or Watchmen, I thought the blue guy was Dr. Manhattan too. I had the same reaction to the end scene seemingly like the Q Continuum. :) I didn't know who the girl was who seduced the newlywed guy. I'll be watching to find out. So the drug used on Skye is alien in nature? And then it follows that Coulsen also has that flowing through him.

#300 of 543 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,771 posts

Posted March 05 2014 - 01:40 PM

The woman at the end was not Lady Sif, but a villain named Lorelai. Sif could be seen in the preview for next week.
  • Ockeghem likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users