-

Photo
- - - - -

S.H.I.E.L.D. (Joss Whedon's Live Action Marvel Universe TV Series on ABC)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
557 replies to this topic

#241 of 558 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,232 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 07 2014 - 05:02 AM

Returns tonight. Looks like we might actually find out what happened to Coulson in "Tahiti"...

#242 of 558 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,772 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted January 07 2014 - 06:35 AM

^ Based on the end of the last episode, I would hope so.  IIRC, Coulson was taken prisoner and the last thing mentioned in the episode was something to the effect of "what happened in Tahiti?"

#243 of 558 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,861 posts

Posted January 07 2014 - 07:34 AM

Sounds like the full explanation could be drawn out:

http://www.blastr.co...rection-mystery

The way our team has kind of turned the back half of this season into a reveal that uses the mystery of Coulson's death not just as a standalone reveal but as an integral part of the bigger reveal, which is that this organization Centipede, run by this person the Clairvoyant, has been part of almost everything we've done and connects on a deep level to everything going forward.

#244 of 558 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted January 07 2014 - 06:27 PM

Damn did this take a pretty dark damn turn in the last segment.   Very interesting.   I'm hoping this has realy found some sealegs, but we've now setup a whole different puzzle.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#245 of 558 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,232 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 07 2014 - 06:32 PM

It's like they separated out everything that works on the show (Coulson with the good guys and Raina with the bad guys) into one storyline and left everything that doesn't for the other storylines.

I'm glad Coulson isn't a life model decoy or a clone. It wasn't the grand reveal I was expecting, but it was surprisingly dark and twisted for a show that is generally more lighthearted than really seems appropriate given the organization at its center. The best reveals merely raise more questions, and this one definitely fit into that mold.

And it's always a good thing when Ron Glass graces my TV screen.

#246 of 558 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,310 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 07 2014 - 07:17 PM

Yeah, definitely a darker tone. Is the show going for darker for the long haul? I must admit that isn't the way I would have thought the producers would have gone.

#247 of 558 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,861 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 06:56 AM

Last night's episode was great. I didn't expect resolution to the Coulsen story, but it was an interesting start. I predict a Sam Jackson cameo before all is said and done, because Coulsen has got to confront Fury.

#248 of 558 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,352 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 08:22 AM

Looks like Jackson may have already filmed something as he appears in Coulsen's memory flashback.

Is it me, or does the show seem to be making Skye more the upfront character in so many episodes. It's a large cast and her story seems very important to the show runners.

#249 of 558 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,301 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 08:59 AM

Nelson,

I've been thinking the same thing with regard to Skye during the past three or four episodes.  I like the actress and the character, so I welcome episodes that feature her prominently.

#250 of 558 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,352 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 12:52 PM

Yeah, I don't quite understand if the series is meant to be more ensemble or not. Seems like everyone has their featured moments with Coulsen bring the anchor.

#251 of 558 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 13,931 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted January 10 2014 - 04:34 AM

It's like they separated out everything that works on the show (Coulson with the good guys and Raina with the bad guys) into one storyline and left everything that doesn't for the other storylines.I'm glad Coulson isn't a life model decoy or a clone. It wasn't the grand reveal I was expecting, but it was surprisingly dark and twisted for a show that is generally more lighthearted than really seems appropriate given the organization at its center. The best reveals merely raise more questions, and this one definitely fit into that mold.And it's always a good thing when Ron Glass graces my TV screen.

Can you say what the reveal was with Coulson's history? I'm not watching the show, but I'm curious if it's getting better.

#252 of 558 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,232 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 10 2014 - 04:49 AM

Can you say what the reveal was with Coulson's history? I'm not watching the show, but I'm curious if it's getting better.

Instead of being dead for a matter of seconds as was stated in the pilot, Coulson was actually dead for days before S.H.I.E.L.D. decided it needed him. So they brought all of their advanced scientific and medical knowledge to bear trying to reanimate his corpse through surgery after surgery after surgery. Eventually they managed to do it, but Coulson was completely tortured in the process and had no desire to live by the end of it. So they popped off his skull and used this electric shock spidery robot to burn away the memories of what he endured and then artificially replaced them with memories of "Tahiti".

#253 of 558 ONLINE   Dheiner

Dheiner

Gazoo

• 1,874 posts
  • Location'skonsen

Posted January 10 2014 - 05:57 AM

Instead of being dead for a matter of seconds as was stated in the pilot, Coulson was actually dead for days before S.H.I.E.L.D. decided it needed him. So they brought all of their advanced scientific and medical knowledge to bear trying to reanimate his corpse through surgery after surgery after surgery. Eventually they managed to do it, but Coulson was completely tortured in the process and had no desire to live by the end of it. So they popped off his skull and used this electric shock spidery robot to burn away the memories of what he endured and then artificially replaced them with memories of "Tahiti".

Or at least that's what "The Clairvoyant", and "Venus Flytrap" want him to think.

The Green Bay Packers
13-Time National Football League Champions: 1929, 1930, 1931, 1936, 1939, 1944, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1996, & 2010

#254 of 558 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,861 posts

Posted January 10 2014 - 06:18 AM

Or at least that's what "The Clairvoyant", and "Venus Flytrap" want him to think.

We do know that he saw the doctor who was present at the procedure saying "this is wrong." Coulson later visits the doctor in the present day, who doesn't give substantive details, but confirms that he was against what happened.

• Jason_V likes this

#255 of 558 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,352 posts

Posted January 10 2014 - 07:42 AM

You mean Det. Ron Harris from Barney Miller. Venus, or Gordon Sims was played by Tim Reid. :)

#256 of 558 OFFLINE   Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper

Screenwriter

• 1,252 posts

Posted January 10 2014 - 09:32 AM

I didn't take the "reanimate his corpse" and the "use spidery robot to erase his memories" as separate things.  To me it looked like they used the spidery robot to operate on his brain, to essentially bring him back.  It was this process that was extremely painful and made him want to just stay dead.

-Jeff Cooper

"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

#257 of 558 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,444 posts

Posted January 10 2014 - 09:55 AM

In the opening scene, why did the Shield puck emit a flash of light (which, considering the ensuing fight scene did dick all) instead of, say, knockout gas? I use that as an example because they definitely have the technology. They were using it later in that very episode.

It's stuff like this that makes the show so disjointed.

#258 of 558 ONLINE   Dheiner

Dheiner

Gazoo

• 1,874 posts
  • Location'skonsen

Posted January 10 2014 - 12:42 PM

You mean Det. Ron Harris from Barney Miller. Venus, or Gordon Sims was played by Tim Reid. :)

Damn.

The Green Bay Packers
13-Time National Football League Champions: 1929, 1930, 1931, 1936, 1939, 1944, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1996, & 2010

#259 of 558 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 13,931 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted January 10 2014 - 08:18 PM

Crazy. That sounds like it a gotten better from the pilot.

#260 of 558 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,232 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 13 2014 - 07:41 AM

TVLine: Bill Paxton Joins Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in recurring role

According to the article, he'll be playing a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent from the comics, John Garrett, who's the sort of "rough-and-tumble" character you'd expect from a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent.

This can only be a positive for the show, because he's a stronger actor than anybody in the cast except maybe Clark Gregg. The downside is that he'll make the main cast look even more lightweight by comparison.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users