Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Twilight Time Announces Nov/Dec 2012 Releases

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 of 89 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,513 posts

Posted August 07 2012 - 09:14 AM

THE RAINS OF RANCHIPUR (1955) BLU-RAY - Nov 13th

BONJOUR TRISTESSE (1958) BLU-RAY - Nov 13th

BELOVED INFIDEL (1959) BLU-RAY - Dec 11th

THE BLUE LAGOON (1980) BLU-RAY - Dec 11th

LOST HORIZON (1973) BLU-RAY - Dec 11th

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 89 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,257 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted August 07 2012 - 09:21 AM

Whoa.

#3 of 89 OFFLINE   Virgoan

Virgoan

Second Unit

• 321 posts
  • LocationOakland CA

Posted August 07 2012 - 09:27 AM

Oooh....aaaahh....ohhhh...ughhhh...oooh!

#4 of 89 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,928 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted August 07 2012 - 09:30 AM

I always thought BLUE LAGOON would look great on Blu-ray. Never heard of the other ones.

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos. 

#5 of 89 OFFLINE   Twilight Time

Twilight Time

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted August 07 2012 - 09:40 AM

Oh Ron, your comments are always the pithiest! (Good taste, though...) :)

";s:7:"insider

#6 of 89 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,838 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 07 2012 - 09:51 AM

LOST HORIZON looked great on MOD so it should look spectacular on Blu-ray.  Looking forward to THE RAINS OF RANCHIPUR.  Another Fox CinemaScope classic.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#7 of 89 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 784 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted August 07 2012 - 10:00 AM

No Major Dundee for 2012. :(

#8 of 89 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,563 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 07 2012 - 10:02 AM

Always an interesting collection of titles and something for many different tastes.

#9 of 89 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,299 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted August 07 2012 - 10:04 AM

Lost Horizon graduating from Sony MOD DVD-R to a limited issue Twilight Blu-ray is a compelling precedent. I guess one shouldn't be surprised to see another title or two from Sony's MOD library take this route in 2013.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#10 of 89 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,727 posts

Posted August 07 2012 - 10:27 AM

What's this? Three in one month? You're killing me Twilight Time! They're also definitely making up for the mainstream titles in the previous months. Both Fox releases are brand new to digital home video. The Sony titles are also welcome with Bonjour Tristesse getting back in print (sort of) and Lost Horizon making its debut on a pressed medium. Blue Lagoon is suited for Twilight Time given the more cult popularity (or infamy) regarding it. Lost Horizon was clearly meant to be a retail release. The MOD is a true freak within the line with its generous extras, custom menu, and superior packaging. I'm more surprised that it got an HD transfer. I assume the extras will be transferred as well?

No Major Dundee for 2012. :(

Yeah, I believe they said we'd be getting it by the end of the year and that the delay on the title was minor. Must have been a bigger delay than they thought. Hope to hear an update on Dundee's status.

#11 of 89 OFFLINE   Twilight Time

Twilight Time

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted August 07 2012 - 11:01 AM

We posted this on Facebook:

"A note about MAJOR DUNDEE: At Sony's request it has been pushed back to March / April 2013 in order to do more restoration work on the master. We are sorry about that as we are as eager as anyone to see it released. However, we feel the wait will be worthwhile..."

";s:7:"insider

#12 of 89 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,015 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 07 2012 - 11:11 AM

Thank you for the update regarding Major Dundee.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#13 of 89 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,727 posts

Posted August 07 2012 - 11:15 AM

Thanks for the update. Spring 2013 can't come soon enough :)

#14 of 89 OFFLINE   Cineramic

Cineramic

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted August 07 2012 - 11:42 AM

YEAH on LOST HORIZON. One of my ALL time favorite quirky musicals

#15 of 89 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,394 posts

Posted August 07 2012 - 04:27 PM

YEAH on LOST HORIZON. One of my ALL time favorite quirky musicals

On the list...of the things...that I will not miss... Now I'm really glad I never got around to ordering that MOD. Good going, TT!

#16 of 89 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,902 posts

Posted August 07 2012 - 05:02 PM

I never did get around to buying the Spanish DVDs of The Rains Of Ranchipur and Beloved Infidel. Now I'm glad! I do have Bonjour Tristesse on DVD. I'll have another look at that because I remember it being so good that I probably don't need to upgrade. It's a good film and gave David Niven one of his best roles.

#17 of 89 OFFLINE   Brian McP

Brian McP

Second Unit

• 411 posts

Posted August 07 2012 - 06:11 PM

Lost Horizon? You little beauty! The dvd had excellent extras, but I'm wondering with the extra disc space, can one hope for any further extras?

#18 of 89 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted August 07 2012 - 07:59 PM

Hooray for Lost Horizon - I know so much work was put into that title so glad to see it getting a proper Blu release - TT, may I ask, will all the MOD DVD extras carry over to your edition?
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#19 of 89 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,491 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted August 07 2012 - 11:49 PM

I never did get around to buying the Spanish DVDs of The Rains Of Ranchipur and Beloved Infidel. Now I'm glad! I do have Bonjour Tristesse on DVD. I'll have another look at that because I remember it being so good that I probably don't need to upgrade. It's a good film and gave David Niven one of his best roles.

I have the Spanish DVD of The Rains Of Ranchipur & it does look really good. I'd think it was a down-convert from an HD master, so with that extra bit of sharpness that HD Blu brings we could be talking about quality on par with The Egyptian. I do have a question about Hugo Friedhofer's fantastic music score. A few years back all they could find was 15 minutes of usable music tapes, have they found any more? It would be great to have an isolated music track, probably asking too much for all of it, but hopefully more that 15 minutes.

#20 of 89 OFFLINE   iDarren

iDarren

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted August 08 2012 - 01:11 AM

Yes, this is one of the GOOD things to come out of the TT deal.

Lost Horizon graduating from Sony MOD DVD-R to a limited issue Twilight Blu-ray is a compelling precedent. I guess one shouldn't be surprised to see another title or two from Sony's MOD library take this route in 2013.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users