Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Harman kardon Subwoofer and Amp Help

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 ONLINE   Christian T Lee

Christian T Lee

Agent

• 46 posts
  • LocationCornwall, Ontario, Canada

Posted August 07 2012 - 06:26 AM

Good Day All,

I really hope someone will be able to point me in the right direction with this current issue I am dealing with.
I am using a Harman Kardon AVR347 Amp for my Home Theatre set up with a Harman Kardon HKTS 14 5.1 Home Theatre Speaker System, my current configuration is that of speaker cable running from the speakers, then to the sub-woofer and then to the Harman Kardon Amp, however I read in the HK manual that I can bypass this and have the speakers connect directly to the Amp and using the Subwoofer coax cable from the HK amp to the Sub-Woofer itself.
However, and this is my issue, when I set it up like this I get nothing from the Sub, not even a test tone when using the HK on Screen Setup.
Below is an excerpt from the HK Manual I am currently using

Subwoofer
The subwoofer is a specialized type of loudspeaker that is usually
connected in a different way. The subwoofer is used to play only the
low frequencies (bass), which require much more power than the other
speaker channels. In order to obtain the best results, most speaker
manufacturers offer powered subwoofers, in which the speaker contains
its own amplifier on board. Sometimes the subwoofer is connected to
the receiver using the front left and right speaker outputs, and then the
front left and right speakers are connected to terminals on the subwoofer.
More often, a line-level (nonamplified) connection is made from the
receiver’s Subwoofer Output to a corresponding jack on the subwoofer,
as shown in Figure 3.
Posted Image

Has anyone encountered this issue in the past? It is possible that I am missing a step here and may need some help getting put back in the right direction. Both devices are well out of warranty so there could be physical issues that I am not aware of. The systems have received no damage to my knowledge however they have been involved in a couple of moves so something may have happened in transport.

I appreciate any assistance anyone can provide. Thanks you very much for your time.
Take care
Christian

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,301 posts

Posted August 07 2012 - 09:10 AM

If you haven't already done so, run the EZSetEq program (page 34). Or, go in to the manual set-up and make sure the sub is turned on and the other speakers are set to small (both page 54). Using EzSetEq is recommended, but even if you do it, doublecheck the settings using the manual set-up. That should do it.

#3 of 9 ONLINE   Christian T Lee

Christian T Lee

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted August 07 2012 - 09:34 AM

Hello Al, Thank you for responding, I went back and double checked my manual settings and they are indeed set to small with the sub set to be on. The EZSetupEq will not complete the configuration as there is no sound emitting from the Sub so it fails. However thank you for your response, I appreciate the suggestions and your time. Take care Christian

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 15,677 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted August 07 2012 - 10:20 AM

Just a quick note(no I haven't looked at a picture of the 347...)... If this receiver has a 5.1 analog input...make sure you don't accidentally have the subwoofer cable connected there...instead of the pre-out.

#5 of 9 ONLINE   Christian T Lee

Christian T Lee

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted August 07 2012 - 10:26 AM

Hi Sam, Yes, I do have it plugged in the Pre not the Analog. it is rather odd. I am starting to think I may have a hardware problem. Oh well, at least it works when using the speaker cables. I guess I can live with out the Line Level In feature. thanks for your suggestion. take care Christian

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 15,677 posts

Posted August 07 2012 - 10:30 AM

Before you completely give up... I've made the "goof" of being in a hurry and attaching the sub to the multi-channel input...(why I asked)... What are you listening to? What is the crossover you've chosen? If you re listening to radio, there may not be anything for the subwoofer to do. And if listening to a CD, if you have the crossover set 60hz or below...again, the subwoofer won't have anything to do.

#7 of 9 ONLINE   Christian T Lee

Christian T Lee

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted August 07 2012 - 10:39 AM

Hi Sam, I mainly use it for watching Blu RayDVD with. Crossover is set to factory default which is 100. When I do a test tone, I get nothing out of the sub at all. Rather frustrating. As I mentioned before I can get it to work when using the speaker cable configuration however not being able to take full advantage of the system is rather irksome. :) Thanks Chris

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 15,677 posts

Posted August 07 2012 - 11:09 AM

Here is a way to tell if it is a subwoofer problem... Make sure the sub is on(that could be a problem...the sub pre-out currently isn't set "hot enough") and remove the end from the receiver and (start lightly) tap on the end of the RCA till you hear the sub "thump"... If the sub still makes no noise...then you know it is the problem.

#9 of 9 ONLINE   Christian T Lee

Christian T Lee

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted August 07 2012 - 11:20 AM

Hi Sam, That must be it! I get no sound when it is plugged into the Sub Level Line In, but there is sound when I connect to right or left input on the sub so it looks like the Sub Level Line in is not connecting properly. Thank you so much, very nice deductive skills there! :) Take care Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users