What's new

CBS Status Report (1 Viewer)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
With the increased output from CBS/Paramount, I thought it would be worth looking at the series they have begun but not finished. As series like The Streets of San Francisco, for example, are completed, perhaps it will open up slots for continuing other shows. Cannon, for instance, would seem to be an ideal candidate for the Streets audience.
I've made two lists: one for continuing series and one for currently suspended or stalled series. One of the nice things about CBS is that a show can go from stalled to active at any time. I am only including series that have already been started. CBS has the rights to lots of great shows we haven't seen released at all, but these are the shows they have begun. I am also only counting series that are no longer currently in production. As far as I know, the only show they have licensed out that hasn't been completed is Webster, so I didn't add a separate category for licensed shows. I have indicated the number of remaining seasons (or releases for those series distributed in volumes) in parentheses.
Continuing:
Father Dowling Mysteries (1 season)
Dave's World (1 season)
Perry Mason (1 1/2 seasons; 3 releases)
Matlock (2 seasons)
Cannon (2 seasons)
Becker (2 seasons)
Touched By An Angel (3 seasons)
Laverne and Shirley (3 seasons)
Rawhide (3 seasons; 5 releases)
Dynasty (3 seasons; 6 releases)
Bonanza (10 seasons; 20 releases)
Gunsmoke (14 seasons; 28 releases)
Stalled:
Mork and Mindy (1 season)
Have Gun, Will Travel (1 season; 2 releases)
One Step Beyond (2 seasons)
Matt Houston (2 seasons)
Family Ties (2 seasons)
Early Edition (2 seasons)
The Phil Silvers Show (3 seasons)
Nash Bridges (3 seasons)
Evening Shade (3 seasons)
The Mod Squad (3 seasons; 6 releases)
Jake and the Fatman (3 seasons; 6 releases)
Hotel (4 seasons)
Love, American Style (4 seasons; 8 releases)
Diagnosis: Murder (5 seasons)
Petticoat Junction (5 seasons)
Moesha (5 seasons)
The Beverly Hillbillies (6 seasons)
Happy Days (7 seasons)
Barnaby Jones (7 seasons; 14 releases)
The Love Boat (7 seasons; 14 releases)
My Three Sons (10 seasons; 20 releases)
Please let me know which ones I haven't included, and I will change the list. Any other thoughts as to possible continued releases as the studio finishes some of its ongoing series?

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
FanCollector said:
With the increased output from CBS, I thought it would be worth looking at the series they have begun but not finished. As series like The Streets of San Francisco, for example, are completed, perhaps it will open up slots for continuing other shows. Cannon, for instance, would seem to be an ideal candidate for the Streets audience.
I've made two lists: one for continuing series and one for currently suspended or stalled series. One of the nice things about CBS is that a show can go from stalled to active at any time. I am only including series that have already been started. CBS has the rights to lots of great shows we haven't seen released at all, but these are the shows they have begun. I am also only counting series that are no longer currently in production. As far as I know, the only show they have licensed out that hasn't been completed is Webster, so I didn't add a separate category for licensed shows. I have indicated the number of remaining seasons (or releases for those series distributed in volumes) in parentheses.
Continuing:
Mannix (1 season)
Father Dowling Mysteries (1 season)
Dave's World (1 season)
Matlock (2 seasons)
Becker (2 seasons)
Perry Mason (2 seasons; 4 releases)
Touched By An Angel (3 seasons)
Laverne and Shirley (3 seasons)
Dynasty (3 seasons; 6 releases)
Rawhide (3 seasons; 6 releases)
Bonanza (10 seasons; 20 releases)
Gunsmoke (14 seasons; 28 releases)
Stalled:
Mork and Mindy (1 season)
Have Gun, Will Travel (1 season; 2 releases)
One Step Beyond (2 seasons)
Matt Houston (2 seasons)
The Phil Silvers Show (3 seasons)
Nash Bridges (3 seasons)
Evening Shade (3 seasons)
Cannon (3 seasons; 6 releases)
Jake and the Fatman (3 seasons; 6 releases)
Hotel (4 seasons)
Love, American Style (4 seasons; 8 releases)
Diagnosis: Murder (5 seasons)
Petticoat Junction (5 seasons)
Happy Days (7 seasons)
Barnaby Jones (7 seasons; 14 releases)
The Love Boat (7 seasons; 14 releases)
The Beverly Hillbillies (8 seasons)
Please let me know which ones I haven't included, and I will change the list. Any other thoughts as to possible continued releases as the studio finishes some of its ongoing series?
I am glad that the Streets of San Francisco will be complete in October 2012. I would speculate that Mannix either will be completed later in 2012 or early 2013. I did hear rumor that Happy Days maybe released as a complete set similar to Get Smart! The problem with Happy Days that the show has to be looked at in two parts: 1. Ron Howard 2. Post Ron Howard.
Nash bridges has issue with licensing, especially in lieu that Don Johnson won his royalty lawsuit. I am wondering if that is the reason the show was stalled
Cannon may have been slowed due to sales. I like Cannon, but the show was not cleaned up very much and that may have had an influence on sales and future releases
Jake and the Fatman is another show that appears to be stalled. S2 came out in 2009 and nothing since.
Knots Landing is stalled at two season. However, i did receive info that Knots issues is due to music licensing. I think now that desperate housewives is done there could be more chance to future seasons released to dvd.

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
Two shows from CBS I'd love to see get a proper release (nice prints and original underscore) would be "My Three Sons" and "Cannon".
Now that we're getting "The Fugitive" and another David Janssen series "Harry O" (from Warner) it would be nice if CBS would release "Richard Diamond" and "OHara", but I'm not holding my breath.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Thanks for reminding me about My Three Sons. I amended the list.
O'Hara is held by Universal, I think. Richard Diamond is split, with some episodes owned by CBS and others not, but I'd love to see that one. I'm very much hoping for a Cannon continuation, too. Streets of San Francisco was a QM Production stalled after two years of a five year run, and then it was revived and finished very quickly. Cannon is in the same position now, so maybe there's hope...

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
We'll probably have to look at other studios for the two Janssen shows yes, but if CBS is reading here I'd buy most of those stalled titles Lee lists! As it's turned out with Streets now, I suspect one crucial stalling reason for most of these shows is that they simply haven't/hadn't been remastered beyond the point of those seasons they did release. Save for Cannon of course, for some reason they released it in the poor state it was and it's stalled now also but I'm not so sure it's to do with poor sales. It has a great fanbase and I'm sure they all bought it regardless, I did, and maybe it's merely waiting to be cleaned up like many other shows. I believe, though I can't be all sure, this is their new strategy/policy - once remastered/HD transferred out they come. I will buy no matter what, but look at The Untouchables it's the same thing.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
HenryDuBrow said:
I believe, though I can't be all sure, this is their new strategy/policy - once remastered/HD transferred out they come.
We (the people who buy all these shows on DVD) are benefiting from CBS going through and remastering their extensive library. I agree--it seems like CBS has decided that if they remaster it, they might as well press the discs and get some extra profit out of them, even if their main strategy is prepping them for future high-def syndication and programming on Encore-type cable channels.

lj01

Agent
Real Name
Lyle
Appears you can move Cannon from "stalled" to "continuing":
http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Cannon-Season-3/17342

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
What a delightful move to have to make. When I suggested Cannon might be a good choice to come next, I had no idea it would be happening, let alone this soon!

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
FanCollector said:
What a delightful move to have to make. When I suggested Cannon might be a good choice to come next, I had no idea it would be happening, let alone this soon!
As long as you're being prophetic, can you mention Vol 2 of The Rockford Files movies (I know, its a Universal release, but since you have the power to make Cannon appear ... )

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
:tu: How wonderful it is to see them go the MOD way as well, hopefully also eventually with series completely new to DVD like The Magician to name one. Wonder if this new Cannon release is remastered, but in any case I'm looking forward to it and would imagine (because of cross-over episodes) that Barnaby Jones isn't far behind, either as MOD or standard release. Fans have been very vocal lately on BJ and the wishes for it to continue are plenty so fingers crossed there.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
David Weicker said:
As long as you're being prophetic, can you mention Vol 2 of The Rockford Files movies (I know, its a Universal release, but since you have the power to make Cannon appear ... )
And this oracle doesn't even have a cashmere suit. (A little Rockford humor there...) I only wish I had the power. I honestly think the second volume of movies will surface eventually. Universal is never in a big hurry, but they finally got out all the Columbo revivals and the Murder, She Wrote movies, and Rockford seems to be in that small club of Universal favorite children. I knew it would be a long time, though, which was why I had been hoping that they would have included all eight movies in the initial release.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I am a big fan of 60's and 70's police/detective shows. Cannon is a really good show. He has a warmth and charm which stands out. It is fun to contrast his character with Jim Garner's Rockford. In many ways they are the complete opposites. The police hated Rockford (except for Sgt. Dennis Becker), on Cannon the police love him and can't do enough for him. I hope we eventually get all 5 seasons. I really like that the whole season is together in one set.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
HenryDuBrow said:
How wonderful it is to see them go the MOD way as well...Wonder if this new Cannon release is remastered
I'm going to bet it's not remastered if it's an Amazon CreateSpace MOD set...and the CBS Syndication Bible doesn't show any remastering.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
dhammer said:
I am a big fan of 60's and 70's police/detective shows. Cannon is a really good show. He has a warmth and charm which stands out. It is fun to contrast his character with Jim Garner's Rockford. In many ways they are the complete opposites. The police hated Rockford (except for Sgt. Dennis Becker), on Cannon the police love him and can't do enough for him. I hope we eventually get all 5 seasons. I really like that the whole season is together in one set.
The characters' backgrounds made such a difference to their relationships. Cannon was a retired police detective and Rockford was an ex-convict, and that distinction was very significant when they dealt with the police. The season opener on this forthcoming Cannon release is a great two-hour show starring David Janssen, and Cannon has a charming relationship with a local police chief played by Anne Baxter. And I am also happy about the full-season set. Now we may not have to wait so long for the rest of the series.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
FanCollector said:
Wether you knew about it or not, thanks for all the positive vibes. I'm thrilled that CBS is continuing with Cannon, remastered or otherwise.

skees53

Agent
Real Name
David
Family Ties is one that is stalled... season 5 was released 3 1/2 years ago, two more seasons remaining.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
skees53 said:
Family Ties is one that is stalled... season 5 was released 3 1/2 years ago, two more seasons remaining.
I thought Family Ties was a NBC show, not CBS.

skees53

Agent
Real Name
David
CBS has the distribution rights for the series for pretty much everything as far as I know (DVD, TV distribution, etc.) since it was produced by Paramount, it was only broadcast on NBC. Also, CBS was also the one to release it on DVD and slapped with that lawsuit over using that theme song from The Milton Berle Show, it seems that a lot of CBS DVDs that get out there are infamous for lawsuits... Mannix, Happy Days, Family Ties, and Nash Bridges come to mind... I honestly can't think of any lawsuits any other company has faced off top of my head..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks