Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

CBS Status Report

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
256 replies to this topic

#241 of 257 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,155 posts

Posted November 11 2014 - 03:33 AM

It will likely never happen, but especially now in the light of Richard Schaal's passing, I would love a complete series set of his George Schlatter-produced sitcom "PLEASE STAND BY" co-starring Elinor Donahue. I always liked that show, and wished I could have a TV studio in my parents' basement.

"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#242 of 257 OFFLINE   ljgranberry

ljgranberry

Stunt Coordinator

• 216 posts

Posted December 07 2014 - 02:15 PM

I have several CBS/Paramount TV series on DVD, but I'm reluctant to buy more - primarily, because I fear if I buy complete sets of GUNSMOKE, RAWHIDE, HAVE GUN-WILL TRAVEL, MANNIX, etc., they will be obsolete if/when CBS puts out blu-ray releases of them. 

Does anyone have any news that this will happen soon?  With the release of I LOVE LUCY and THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, I feel this is a distinct possibility.

#243 of 257 ONLINE   LeoA

LeoA

Screenwriter

• 1,085 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted December 07 2014 - 02:40 PM

Nothing has happened since those two and the Honeymooners were released a year ago. So it seems highly unlikely that your fears will happen.

• ljgranberry likes this

#244 of 257 OFFLINE   Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted December 07 2014 - 02:45 PM

POPULAR

I have several CBS/Paramount TV series on DVD, but I'm reluctant to buy more - primarily, because I fear if I buy complete sets of GUNSMOKE, RAWHIDE, HAVE GUN-WILL TRAVEL, MANNIX, etc., they will be obsolete if/when CBS puts out blu-ray releases of them. 

Does anyone have any news that this will happen soon?  With the release of I LOVE LUCY and THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, I feel this is a distinct possibility.

Based on the high prices and mixed reviews of those Season 1 releases, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Also, I don't think a show like Mannix will be considered high-profile enough for them to give it blu-ray consideration. That's not a criticism of the show; I have all of the DVD releases. But compared to Lucy, Griffith, Gleason, Twilight Zone, and Dick Van Dyke, which remain in the mainstream public's memory and can still be seen regularly on TV, other older shows like Mannix and Have Gun Will Travel fall on a somewhat lower recognition tier, and honestly I'd say we're lucky to have the DVD releases. At best, I wouldn't expect to see the shows you mentioned released until at least after the rest of ILL and TAGS are completed on blu. And I'd say right now it's a big "if" even for those to be finished.

As for Gunsmoke, it's only now made it over the midway point in DVD releases, so I'm just hoping they're willing to keep going until the end. I could see them attemptng a Season 1 or Best-Of blu-ray, but I don't see them attempting a release of all 20 years on blu.

So if you like the shows, just go ahead and buy the DVDs.

Edited by Dave Lawrence, December 07 2014 - 02:47 PM.

• Randy Korstick, BobO'Link and ljgranberry like this

#245 of 257 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,316 posts

Posted December 07 2014 - 08:06 PM

Why not Blu-ray, why is that considered something special to release on rather than DVD? Blu-ray is merely the better picture now, so why should anything from the studios not be worth it when this disc format is now the technical leader, so to speak. It also has way more disc space, so more (seasons) would technically fit on one without quality loss yet for some reason that's never done. 

#246 of 257 OFFLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,327 posts

Posted December 07 2014 - 09:09 PM

I think the blu-ray format has been a commercial disappointment for the most part. Studios are able to find a market for a certain percentage of blu-rays of very popular titles, but lower volume sales like classic television shows are only rarely going to be released in the format. Also, newer product will have an advantage in being released on blu-ray because it doesn't require any clean-up or remastering to take full advantage of the format. Preparing an old television series for blu-ray is spending a lot of money to make back relatively little.

You're right about the greater storage capacity of standard definition content on blu-ray, but the studios seem to believe, rightly or wrongly, that the few consumers who do buy blu-ray discs are not interested in seeing standard definition material on them.
  • HenryDuBrow likes this

#247 of 257 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,316 posts

Posted December 07 2014 - 11:45 PM

It's odd about not wanting it, because mostly it's 35mm film quality also. It almost seems like everything is coming out on blu now, in movies anyway, studios don't re-release much catalog on DVD anymore (I wish they would). And it's much slower for TV titles on blu, even though CBS hits like Mannix or The Fugitive wouldn't appear to require severe remastering delays. 

#248 of 257 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,141 posts

Posted December 11 2014 - 08:29 AM

It will likely never happen, but especially now in the light of Richard Schaal's passing, I would love a complete series set of his George Schlatter-produced sitcom "PLEASE STAND BY" co-starring Elinor Donahue. I always liked that show, and wished I could have a TV studio in my parents' basement.

Very rare show. I only have one in my collection from someone who taped it on Betamax. 2-inch videotape shows, very unlikely to see the light of day again.

#249 of 257 OFFLINE   Dan*T

Dan*T

Supporting Actor

• 534 posts

Posted December 11 2014 - 05:04 PM

I would really love to see Jake & the Fatman, as well as Cannon completed..

I'm thinking someone like VEI will have to pick up Jake, I highly doubt CBS will continue it

• HenryDuBrow and Walsh61 like this
Dan T.

#250 of 257 OFFLINE   Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter

• 1,281 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted December 14 2014 - 04:17 PM

Here's hoping that CBS will eventually release "One Step Beyond" seasons 2 and 3.

Bringing this back up.  I can't figure out why they can't release these short series after giving us one season already?  It is a shame and still have high hopes it will be completed.  Has anyone heard if possibly it may go the VEI or Shout route?

#251 of 257 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,157 posts

Posted December 14 2014 - 04:33 PM

The thing is, why would an independent label think they'd sell more with unremastered prints from CBS when so many are being sold PD already?    

#252 of 257 OFFLINE   Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter

• 1,281 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted December 14 2014 - 04:40 PM

The thing is, why would an independent label think they'd sell more with unremastered prints from CBS when so many are being sold PD already?    

Not sure if you are addressing my comment?  But not all of the episodes are on worn out PD tapes and they gave us Season 1 "official release" in pristine condition original film so hoping they can see their way to giving us a "complete" set of all 97 episodes (not just 50 that PD offers at the most).  And it fills a niche for supernatural especially in an era of so many "reality shows" on paranormal and ghost shows so they have a current window of opportunity.

And why would they be un-remastered prints from CBS?  I would think that these independent distributors would clean them up before distributing them.

#253 of 257 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,157 posts

Posted December 14 2014 - 05:13 PM

An independent distributor is *not* going to do a remastering job on episodes licensed out to them.     Whether Shout, Timeless or VEI, they've never done that and have only taken what existing masters there already are.   If you want to see the remaning seasons in as great a condition as S1 was, the only hope is if CBS will resume it themselves and release it themselves.

#254 of 257 OFFLINE   Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter

• 1,281 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted December 14 2014 - 05:47 PM

An independent distributor is *not* going to do a remastering job on episodes licensed out to them.     Whether Shout, Timeless or VEI, they've never done that and have only taken what existing masters there already are.   If you want to see the remaning seasons in as great a condition as S1 was, the only hope is if CBS will resume it themselves and release it themselves.

I don't own the set but what did Shout do with "Leave it to Beaver"?  Was it transferred "as is"?

#255 of 257 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,157 posts

Posted December 14 2014 - 07:35 PM

Yes.   They take what they get from the company that owns the elements as we've found out before with other releases.  

#256 of 257 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,316 posts

Posted December 15 2014 - 02:39 AM

There's always the chance CBS may already have cleaned up some of the shows we still want here, only they haven't announced that they have been. Or may still be in the process of it. With CBS it seems, you just never know what they're up to. But whether remastered or not, these shows would make good choices for VEI or Shout in any case especially now if CBS themselves (as the rumor goes) are releasing less on standard DVD let alone MOD (when they ought to). It looks like the best we can hope for, is licensed stuff from now on unless they really surprise us one of these days.

• Mark Collins likes this

#257 of 257 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,139 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:12 PM

http://www.tvshowson...-Season-6/20599

Becker

I hope for Dynasty fans the two season of Colbys comes out which I believe it will along with more Falcon Crest and who knows more Knots Landing.  People want all of these shows.  Batman should teach us no show should never be thought to be lost forever. 

I would buy Life With Lucy if CBS through the Spelling estate can get it if they own it,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users