Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HT Cabinet Setup. Wire routeing, Power and Cooling.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   dabusabus1

dabusabus1

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted August 05 2012 - 11:15 AM

Hi All, I have a cabinet in my family room that I would like to store my A/V components in. As of right now there is no cooling, no wiring, and no power. I am looking for some recommendations on how I should cool the cabinet and run the wiring. My basement is unfinished so I plan to run the wires as needed through the basement. Beneath the bottom shelf is the sub floor so I will have to drill through that for any air flow, I assume. I can't vent out the back of the cabinet because the back faces the kitchen area.I have attached pictures of the cabinet and the mock up of A/V components I'll store there as best I could. If you need any more details please feel free to ask. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,920 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted August 06 2012 - 07:05 PM

Welcome to Home Theater Forum Jason.  I can't tell from the pictures, but is the cabinet deep enough to hold the receiver with speaker wiring?  as to cooling try convection.  to do this you need an air inlet and and exhaust port.  Your inlet could be in the floor of the cabinet to draw cool air in from the basement, and you could either put a decorative vent on the top of the cabinet, or try putting a fan hooked up to a dryer style vent exhausting out the side of the cabinet to outdoors.  This would also require you to put multiple large holes in the shelves so cool air could work its way up the cabinet.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,920 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted August 06 2012 - 07:10 PM

Sorry forgot about wiring.  Pull power and your cables up through the bottom.  Leave enough slack for you to be able to turn the receiver back out and hook up the speaker wire.  Don't forget about running some cat5 cables.  If not now then in the near future you will need one for your PS3, receiver, and a stand alone Blu-ray player.  Plan on a way to control the gear.  Most likely a RF universal remote.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   dabusabus1

dabusabus1

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted August 07 2012 - 02:09 AM

The cabinet is about 16 inches deep so I should be able to fit a receive in it. Thanks for the feedback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users