Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Importing from old Macbook?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,470 posts

Posted August 05 2012 - 07:19 AM

My retina macbook pro is probably going to be exchanged tomorrow.   There is a graphics issue under Mountain Lion that causes it to boot up to a blank screen.  There are a few owners having the same problem. It sounds like a firmware issue, but I am not waiting for Apple to address it.   I backed up my current MBR so I can import it to my new MBR when I first boot up.   The problem is, the backup drive is USB and I am not certain if the  import function will allow me to use USB or not.  I seem to remember it required a Firewire connection.....but I am not completely certain.   Anyone have an answer on how this will work?   Thanks

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton

Screenwriter

• 1,457 posts

Posted August 05 2012 - 02:14 PM

If you're referring to using a backup disk as the input to Migration Assistant, there's no indication that Migration Assistant cares whether the disk is connected via Thunderbolt, Firewire, or USB. For a direct Mac-to-Mac networking or Target Disk Mode connection, the options are Firewire, Thunderbolt, WiFi, and Ethernet (no USB). http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4889

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,759 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted August 05 2012 - 03:34 PM

Migration Assistant works fine off a USB drive. I've used it this year with Lion pulling from a SuperDuper backup on a USB2 drive.   And if you have any concerns, you can do a trial run of MA. Run it and confirm that it sees your backup drive. :)

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,470 posts

Posted August 05 2012 - 03:35 PM

Excellent.  Thanks, Dave

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users