What's new

Not sure im getting surround sound. Onkyo Tx-SR605 and Panisonic BMP-BD65 (1 Viewer)

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
I just got the new Blu-ray player and its linked to the Onkyo via an optical to Coaxial adaptor(didn't have a 20' TOSLINK cable.
I have noticed a few different readouts on the Onkyo display including Dolby digital(but bluray sending 2.1), DTS Neo 6 cinema, theater dimentional, PL2x movie. But I believe all these modes are ways of the Reciever to expand a sterio sound to simulate surround sound.
When I check the audio via the onscreen display from the Blu-ray player I have seen (2.1 channel) but i think I saw it saw (optical multi) before too.
I see there are options for audio to be set as "Bitstream" or PCM. Then another spot has PCM down convert option.
Is it embarasing to say I have been beat by my stereo?
How do I get 5.1 surround sound as it was intended from the disc? It seems most of my DVD's have Dolby digital scribed on them. One has DTS. and I haven't even looked at the blurays yet.
What would i expect the reciever to display if I got it right?

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
schan1269 said:
Why aren't you using HDMI?
Older projector still uses component outputs.
I do have HDMI audio set to "OFF" But I think I may have burned myself with the "dialoge enhancer" , appears that might lock it to 2.1 as well.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
You aren't even getting high def video through the component cables. Video output resolution is restricted to 480p when using component cables from your blu ray. Best thing you can do is get an HDMI capable projector. Your receiver is capable of HD audio over HDMI. So, get a new projector and you'll have the best picture and best audio, with both going through HDMI. As it is now, you're just as well off using a dvd player, instead of a blu ray player.
I have noticed a few different readouts on the Onkyo display including Dolby digital(but bluray sending 2.1), DTS Neo 6 cinema, theater dimentional, PL2x movie. But I believe all these modes are ways of the Reciever to expand a sterio sound to simulate surround sound.
No, not really. Dolby Digital is regular surround sound, but the real deal, not simulated. I say regular surround sound because it's the same that's on regular dvds. It's goes up to 6.1 surround. Both regular Dolby Digital and DTS are compressed, but sound very good. Dolby TrueHD and dtsHD Master Audio are the two HD audio formats, and only over HDMI or 5.1 multi-channel analog connections, which you don't need to worry about. Set the audio output of the BD player, or dvd player to "Bitstream", to get real surround sound over optical or digital coax connection. If you have it right, the receiver should display "Dolby Digital" when watching dvds, using optical connection for audio. When watching blu rays, over HDMI connection, the receiver should display "Dolby TrueHD" or "DTS HD MSTR". Watching a blu ray with optical connection, the receiver should display "Dolby Digital". Good luck!

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
schan1269 said:
Does this projector have DVI?
It is amazing how many people miss DVI...
Just VGA unfortunatly. We were running the VGA untill the HTPC decided to kick it. Got the Bluray for $50(refurbished) mainly so we could do online rentals and kmart was running a $10 for three movie specials on Blu ray discs. Too good to turn down switch to the Bluray.
Ed Moxley said:
Your receiver is capable of HD audio over HDMI.
Don't suppose you can run HDMI audio and keep the component video out? why do the studios need to make it difficult for us with these damn formats.
Ed Moxley said:
Video output resolution is restricted to 480p when using component cables
We bought a 2010 model Bluray, not sure if that makes a difference. but there does appear to be a noticable increase in resolution with the bluray discs. native on the PJ is 1024x768 Pixels it accepts 1080i and 720p input via component. Unless a firmware update further limited my component outs.
On a plus note, Apparently I left the PJ on all day yesterday. So I'm 8 hours Closer to a HDMI PJ :D

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You can thank the studios for why the component video has "issues"...
Analog Sunset (google it)
I think you need to go into the audio set-up of the BD player. "Out of the box" it is set-up for connecting to a TV, not an AVR.
Unless you "unlock" the audio processing, it won't send 5.1.
Essentially, if you were to change the BD player to 5.1, then connect it to a TV...the TV wouldn't produce sound...cause it won't "understand" 5.1.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Elfmaze said:
native on the PJ is 1024x768 Pixels it accepts 1080i and 720p input via component. Unless a firmware update further limited my component outs.
On a plus note, Apparently I left the PJ on all day yesterday. So I'm 8 hours Closer to a HDMI PJ :D
It doesn't matter that the PJ accepts 1080i and 720p signals. The blu ray player only outputs 480p when component cables are connected to it. See page 27 of your owner's manual for your Panasonic BD player. On the right side of the page, the last sentence under "Component Video Resolution", Says "This sets the video output resolution when connected via the COMPONENT VIDEO OUT terminal.
≥ Even if you select “720p” or “1080i”, the video output
resolution is restricted to “480p” when images of DVD-Video
discs are output from the COMPONENT VIDEO OUT terminals." That's copied and pasted from your online manual. See it for yourself in your printed manual.
Yes, it will accept a 1080i and 720p signal from the tv, cable, or satellite box, when using component connections. Just not from any blu ray player. It has to do with copyrights and copying. The studios won't allow it. Sorry 'bout that...............

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What Ed is speaking of is Analog Sunset...
Your BD player "might", and this is a big "might" output 1080I or 720P for BD.
I could have sworn the component still did HD via component, but...
Part of the Analog Sunset that had everybody worried is if a firmware update would show up this year and "kill" HD over component. I personally have no idea if that happened. I sold my "non-DVI" TVs over 7 years ago. But I also worked in the AV industry on the wholesale level. I knew Analog Sunset was coming as soon as BD won the format war over HD-DVD(Toshiba didn't want to let HDCP ruin the party for legacy analog users. After all, component video is their creation, so why would Toshiba kill it?).
So, the only way to even know if that BD player is still spitting out 1080I or 720P over component is by looking at the picture it is producing. (of course that is assuming it can't show you the resolution, most HDTV have a button so you know what resolution you are watching, but this is a projector...does it show you?)

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Did you read my whole post? I copied and pasted from his manual for the BD player where it said the player will only output 480p over component connections. So, there's no MIGHT output 1080i or 720p over component. It definitely does not. To my knowledge, all BD players will only output 480p over component connections. Component cables will carry HD picture............. just not from a BD player. I've never heard the term "Analog Sunset". Where does that come from?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
BD(and for that matter HD-DVD) players used to send 1080I and 720P over component with BD only. They would not UPSCALE DVD...
If you re-read what you copy-pasted, you'd see it says...
"Component restricted to 480P on DVD-Video"...
That means it only upscales over HDMI. Which 95% of all DVD and BD players do. Very few upscaling DVD players upscale with the component connection.
And the Analog Sunset is disallowing HD over component. So, NEW BD players don't even have component video connections as of this year(super expensive ones like the new OPPO notwithstanding). Go buy a $100 BD player today...and it won't have component video.
That leaves non-DVI TV owners to buy used BD players(or super expensive ones). The "fear" is that firmware updates could come along for all "prior to 2012" BD players that would "kill" the component HD ability.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
schan1269 said:
BD(and for that matter HD-DVD) players used to send 1080I and 720P over component with BD only. They would not UPSCALE DVD...
If you re-read what you copy-pasted, you'd see it says...
"Component restricted to 480P on DVD-Video"...
That means it only upscales over HDMI. Which 95% of all DVD and BD players do. Very few upscaling DVD players upscale with the component connection.
And the Analog Sunset is disallowing HD over component. So, NEW BD players don't even have component video connections as of this year(super expensive ones like the new OPPO notwithstanding). Go buy a $100 BD player today...and it won't have component video.
That leaves non-DVI TV owners to buy used BD players(or super expensive ones). The "fear" is that firmware updates could come along for all "prior to 2012" BD players that would "kill" the component HD ability.
Ok, I have sent an email to Panasonic, asking them if a blu ray movie will play in HD over a component connection, or is it restricted to 480p. We'll see what they say..........
Don't suppose you can run HDMI audio and keep the component video out? why do the studios need to make it difficult for us with these damn formats.
Maybe........... go into the receiver's setup menus, and see if you can setup audio over HDMI, while video is set to component. If HDMI isn't gone or greyed out in the audio setup area, you probably can do that. Once connected, double check your settings in the BD player too. Having an HDMI cable connected, along with component, the HDMI may try to override the component.
Just try and see. It shouldn't hurt anything to try it. Good luck.

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
I was able to pull this screen shot. But its generated by the BluRay player, not the PJ itself. I haven't looked deep into the PJs menus yet. So at least the player "claims" to be sending the 720p. the three of us thought we noticed a great improvement between "Alien" on DVD and "V For Vendetta" on Bluray. I am willing to believe that its not up-scaling anything, and if its trying, it sucks at it.
IMAG0364.jpg

Back to the original topic. I talked to Panasonic today. They seem to think everything is set up correctly. and the movie "Tomb raider" was verified to have 5.1 Dolby Digital. The reciever had DD and DTS logos lit on the display along with the Neo6 light. But when I hit the audio select button i still saw this message
IMAG0365.jpg

Panasonic seems to think it is a problem of the receiver not being able to report back to the bluray player that it is capable of the signal. Could be for two reasons I can think of off the bat. One, I am using a 20' RCA cable taking the coax signal down one side to the receiver and the sub-woofer preout up the other back to the sub that sits under the bluray player. I checked that the cables should have been 75 ohm and thus compatible with coaxial but maby I missed something. Second idea is the Toslink to Digital converter box I am using from radio-shack. (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12195987) Its obviously getting some sort of digital signal TO the receiver but maby its not complete, or maby its a one way road? the receiver can't talk back?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
3/2.1 is "another way to say" 5.1.
You need to pick another sound mode in the receiver. It "should have" Direct. Direct is the "absence" of "sound mode"...more or less...
Which means, if the BD player is showing "3/2.1=5.1"...then the receiver will do NOTHING to the incoming signal...except spit it back out...as it received it.

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
schan1269 said:
3/2.1 is "another way to say" 5.1.
OK people...move it along, nothing to see here.
Well i fell a bit behind the learning curve on that one.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
We all started in this hobby as "idiots"...don't sweat it.
I've just been doing this since the 27" tube TV was "new"...
My father got his Christmas bonus. Bought the TV and a Sharp Carousel microwave for a bit over $1500...
How much is a 26" LCD and Nuker now???

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Ok, I got an answer from Panasonic, to my email. The guy said you can get HD picture from blu ray, using component cables. So, it looks like I was wrong about that.
I know you used to not be able to. I guess I haven't kept up with the newer stuff as well as I thought I had. Sorry if I confused things. Actually, I'm glad you can get the pic from BDs in HD from component. That means that things are improving.

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Ed Moxley said:
That means that things are improving.
But its still a dead cable tech. Even if they left there old players alone, Anything 2011 on will not even have the option, and sites like Hulu, although they have not said why they don't support the

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
You want to shut her up about the wires? You start complaining about everything in the kitchen. Complain about anything that can be seen in there.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks