What's new

Tv in one room, receiver and xbox in another (1 Viewer)

FlyingTiger

Agent
Real Name
Cory
So this is my plan, and I need a little help with some of the steps.
I have 3 hdmi tv's and I'm going to have them mounted on the wall in different rooms. I want to have all my devices ie; Xbox, cable receiver, DVD player, and possibly some sort of DVR, in another room all backed up by my UPS system. I'm doing this for looks btw.
If possible I would like to do this wirelessly except for xbox. I am probably going to want to have surround sound on 1 or 2 tv's. That's not decided yet.
Also, I would like to have it so not all tv's show the same cable channel. And I know that is just in the reiceiver. But just so you know.
Keep in mind I don't want to lose any video transfer speed, due to the fact I play Internet video games where speed is key. MW3 and such. Which is why wired for Xbox is what I want.
Also, I would like to have only one remote per tv.
I was told I need to get a home theater receiver and rf transmitter. Is this correct. And also can you tell me a brand an model number to look at. So I can have a starting point.
Oh and the guy at Best Buy was no help. So I'm hoping someone out there can do better.
Thanks,
The Flying Tiger

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, first you need an HDMI switch box...
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-VS440HDMI-Matrix-Switch-Splitter/dp/B0058DN9WU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1343765299&sr=8-2&keywords=hdmi+switch+4x4 (you need to figure out the size. How many cable boxes? More than 1 BD player?)
Then you need a bunch of CAT5/5e/6
You also need 3(maybe only two) of these...
http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-P167-000-Active-Extender/dp/B001CJ9392/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1343765443&sr=1-5&keywords=cat+hdmi+extender (one example of tons of choices, this one just "makes the install neat and tidy")
You'll need to figure out if you really want an AV receiver at the "main room" or if you want them closer.
So far, without buying "equipment", you are at $1500-$2000 for the "getting HDMI all over the house"...

FlyingTiger

Agent
Real Name
Cory
ok thank you, i will look at them. may be a bit out of my price range. but i will still review and maybe it will help me with what i am looking to do.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
FlyingTiger said:
I am probably going to want to have surround sound on 1 or 2 tv's. That's not decided yet.
You should decide now. You will need one surround sound receiver for each room that will have surround sound. You can't power two separate 5.1 systems (each showing a different source) with a single receiver. Simply can't be done.

Really, I think you're over-engineering this. You want cable/DVR, dvd, and XBox in multiple rooms. DVD players are cheap - like $30 cheap. Most cable/satellite providers now offer whole house DVR systems that can be watched by any TV in your house. The only thing left is the XBox - running HDMI from a central location via splitter is the only option there (aside from, you know, disconnecting the XBox and carrying it into the room in which you want to use it). How do you change games, then - walk down to the basement and swap discs? Do the controllers use RF and will they work with the console at the other end of the house (I'm not familar with XBox, so these may just be silly questions)?

Also, is this new construction? Running HDMI cable (or Cat 5/6) through the walls is going to be difficult if everything is already closed in.

FlyingTiger

Agent
Real Name
Cory
I could go wired with it all. It would prol keep the price down. But now do I need to run just 1 hdmi to each tv?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Monoprice HDMI switch boxes are cheaper. I've been running a 4x2 HDMI Matrix box for a few years now and it works perfectly.
For the remote, I suggest the Harmony RF to IR models or RF models with IR relays (since you are already running wire, why not a few more). The RF only models are a cheaper but you will have more labor running the wires for the relay and also the IR targets in each room will have to be positioned near the other equipment.
Sounds like you need to go old school and get a pencil and paper to draw out a wiring diagram for the proposed system.

FlyingTiger

Agent
Real Name
Cory
No it's an existing home but one I get from upstairs to downstairs its easy after that. Due to the fact the basement is drop ceiling. And no I dont think the Xbox controller works over rf. but if I could splitter and extender to each tv I could run a wire for that. Don't really know yet about that to much. And I don't change the game very often. I think MW3 has been in it since it came out. Lol.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Running one HDMI to each TV/room is the least of the concerns here.
When you "centrally locate" stuff in a closet...
You have a matrix box($400-$900)
You have either...
RF universal remotes with separate blasters ($100-$300 PER remote...so that is $300 to $900)
or
xantech stuff (around $400-$1000, but you get to use the remotes your stuff came with)
Crapton of CAT 6(what I would use...$150 for 1000ft bulk box, plus another $45 for a good RJ45 tool and RJ45 ends)
HDMI-CAT5/5e/6 senders ($75-$200 each, so $225-$600)
And you haven't bought TV's yet.

FlyingTiger

Agent
Real Name
Cory
Yes I already have the tv's. And going the cat6 route with switches is that going to slow down the video signal any?
And Robert the mono price hdmi sounds like the route I should go. But you lost me one the remote part.
I was thinking rf because the remote doesn't have to have line of sight to the sensor. Just don't know which would be better.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Does CAT6 slow down the signal???
No. Exactly the opposite.
The "longest" stable HDMI runs are 100ft.
CAT6 has been installed as far as 400ft. But nobody is going to "guarantee" anything over 200ft. (even that changes by the year. There is one company guaranteeing 100 meters for 1080P 3D)
Which is greater?
100ft or 200ft?
And, besides, which is easier to snake in a wall?
Cat5/5e/6 (unfinished) or a HDMI?
and, oh yeah...technically speaking...
CAT5e/6=HDMI (as in they are one in the same...sorta)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sam,
Aren't the HDMI to CAT baluns pretty expensive?
Cory,
Buffalo IR repeater - http://www.buffaloelectronics.com/appn-ir/wireplan.htm will allow an IR only remote to work through walls. Equipment is available it Amazon and Parts Express. You put a target in each room (except for the room with the equipment) and wire everything back to a central location where the IR emitters will be (in the room with the equipment).

FlyingTiger

Agent
Real Name
Cory
thanks robert that makes sence to me now. And I think the two tv's i want the xbox360 on are within range of my "central location" so i dont have to worry about that, only spliting the video feed to the two separate tv's. Now i just need to find receiver that can do what i am looking to do.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
CAT5/5e/6 extenders (baluns) run the gamut from $40 to $300. The longer you have to run, the better one you get.
And like Robert asked...
What needs to be run to these two rooms...???

FlyingTiger

Agent
Real Name
Cory
No I don't think I need the receiver for two 5.1 systems but I'm just curious how it works. I want a receiver with 3 Hdmi outputs. Or is that not possible? Also I read somewhere that if you have 7.1(for example) you can put the two extra speakers in a different room. But could they be independent of the others? So for example have a 9.2 system split in two different rooms and be two different sounds? Let me know thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I want a receiver with 3 Hdmi outputs.
That's going to be next to impossible to find also. Why? Would splitting the single output 3 ways accomplish your goal?
Also I read somewhere that if you have 7.1(for example) you can put the two extra speakers in a different room. But could they be independent of the others?
That's a multi-zone receiver. Some even have a 3rd zone but it usually requires that you provide an amp for the speakers. Yes, they have independent sources but usually zone 2 and 3 only accept analog inputs. I'm not 100% sure but I think that to listen to zone 2 or 3, the receiver must be on so zone 1 would be active. You could turn down the volume though.
So for example have a 9.2 system split in two different rooms and be two different sounds?
To get a 9 output receiver, you are getting into the extremely expensive models. It would probably be cheaper to go with dual receivers. And there is no such thing as .2. The .1 refers to the LFE (Low Frequency Effects) channel on the soundtrack. Receivers that have dual LFE/sub outputs just split them. You can accomplish the same thing with a $2 Y adapter. There are a few that have independent controls (level, delay, etc) but they are still splitting the .1. But that doesn't mean you can't have a stereo system with a sub in the other zones. You can easily add a powered sub to any set of speakers.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The Elite SC-67 has three HDMI, but it costs $1500.
It has(and you can download the manual yourself too see how the three HDMI work) two main HDMI out and a Zone 4.

FlyingTiger

Agent
Real Name
Cory
Ok but would splitting the single output three ways allow me to watch different cable channels on the other tvs? Thats the goal. And thanks for the info on multi zone receivers and the thought of just having 2 receivers. That seems like the more cost effective solution.

FlyingTiger

Agent
Real Name
Cory
Thanks for the info schan I will look at it for the research info. But for $1500 I'm not so sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks