What's new

Samsung LED Bundle at both Amazon & Bestbuy (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The UN55ES7100 is available at both merchants for about the same price of $2k. It comes with a choice of a Samsung Galaxy Tab, Soundbar, 26" LED 720p HDTV, or a blu-ray paler and 10 pairs of glasses (BD-E5900, SSG-14100GB). The week before at BB with same bundle the TV was the UNES7500 for $200 more. That is still available at Amazon along with several other TVs with the bundle. Here's a link.
Anyone have any knowledge of these TVs and the glasses? Even if we were to get this bundle, this is not the blu-ray player I really want (an Oppo). It would appear to be a good choice just to get all those glasses for the times when you have company. BTW, I think the TV's come with 4 glasses in the box.
I am antsy about getting a plasma set. I've talked with my brother-inlaw and he mentions his plasma can take a while to get rid of some images. He won't call it burn-in, but it seems close. I watch a lot of CNN and they love to have a lot of permanent crap on the screen.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The 5900 is Samsung's top of the line BD player with their most advanced internet features (built-in WiFi and browser). Samsung glasses cost $20 a pair bought individually. The ES7100 is capable of very good picture quality but, like the other Samsung edge-lit led sets is more prone than most to flashlighting and clouding. If the same offer were good on the PNxxes7000 plasma that would be the best way to do this bundle.
the soundbar is the 450 series with wireless subwoofer and bluetooth capability, retails for $299. If you'e intent on the Oppo and don't already have an audio system this would, imho, be a better option than the 26" lcd tv which is too small except as a gaming set for the kids.
This bundle deal is Samsung sponsored and also available at Sears.
The 7000 series sets are subject to Samsungs OPP price controls so can't be discounted by retailers. The bundle is a way to increase perceived value.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Steve, thanks for the information. I do have a good sound system, so the sound bar isn't that attractive. I'm not interested in the tablet or the little tv. Even if I get an Oppo (for the region-free mod) I'm thinking the player and glasses bundle is the way to go. Do you know anything about the glasses? Are they considered to be good?
I am surprised they are bundling their best blu-ray player.
Are the 7500 and 7100 basically the same TV, just with more features on the 7500. I.E. the 7500 has a built-in camera.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
About the only difference I can find is that the 7500 has voice and gesture control, wich doesn't really work very well. Both have dual core processors, which just speeds up internet features and has nothing to do with pq.
The glasses are battery powered (not rechargeable, usually good for 30-40 hrs on a battery) and a bit on the flimsy side but work well.
The 5900 player is pricey and doesn't sell well on it's own in competition with less expensive models. There's actually another "bundle" available which consists of a 55" low-end EH series 3D set, the 5900, and 4 pairs of glasses all in the same box for 1200ish. The EH set in this box is a "dumb" tv, no internet features at all, but the 5900 makes up for that. Rather than being edge lit there is a row of leds running across the center behind the screen with a thickish diffuser. This is another special promotion and so far I've only seen it at the Sears where I work.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Steve Schaffer said:
About the only difference I can find is that the 7500 has voice and gesture control, wich doesn't really work very well. Both have dual core processors, which just speeds up internet features and has nothing to do with pq.
The glasses are battery powered (not rechargeable, usually good for 30-40 hrs on a battery) and a bit on the flimsy side but work well.
The 5900 player is pricey and doesn't sell well on it's own in competition with less expensive models. There's actually another "bundle" available which consists of a 55" low-end EH series 3D set, the 5900, and 4 pairs of glasses all in the same box for 1200ish. The EH set in this box is a "dumb" tv, no internet features at all, but the 5900 makes up for that. Rather than being edge lit there is a row of leds running across the center behind the screen with a thickish diffuser. This is another special promotion and so far I've only seen it at the Sears where I work.
Was that the Samsung UN55EH6000? Its not 3D. The 6070 is 3D and includes the blu-ray player with 2 pair glasses It's $1400.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
It wasn't the EH6000, but was an EH series set. I could have been wrong about the number of pairs of glasses in the box. We have/had this "in the box" bundle in the 55" size for 1200ish and in the 46" size for under 1k. It's a limited time deal limited to stock on hand. I'm franklly not that impressed with the EH series sets but they aren't what I'd call unacceptable for the casual buyer.
Careful shopping will get you an ST series Panny plasma and decent 3D BD player along with a couple of pair of $20 Samsung glasses (they work fine with Panny active 3D sets) for within shouting distance of this bundle price and one would be getting a much better tv.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm a little leary of plasma burn-in. I watch CNN a lot and I think a lot of that permanent crap at the bottom of the screen will at least linger on the screen. Is there a non-plasma you can recommend in the 55" size?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks