Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Jaws -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#41 of 250 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,597 posts

Posted August 01 2012 - 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Brianruns10 

RAH, that's fascinating that they made a dye transfer print of that film, since 1974 is traditionally claimed to be when American films ceased to be released in dye transfer. What were the circumstances that prompted Technicolor London to make such a print?

No special circumstances.  Dye transfer prints were made in London into 1977.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#42 of 250 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,811 posts

Posted August 01 2012 - 07:20 AM

Wasn't there a discussion about a dye transfer print of the theatrical cut of Star Wars on HTF last year?  I thought the screening of that which was talked about was of such a print.

#43 of 250 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,364 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 01 2012 - 07:24 AM

And, true to form, as the five-star reviews begin to appear, and screen caps begin to appear, the usual suspects come out in force - yes, they see EE and DNR - not as bad as usual, though. They subvert Mr. Harris' words, it's just, well, silly? One of them even admits he's not only looking and judging screen caps, he's ENLARGING them, blowing them UP.

#44 of 250 OFFLINE   Cineman

Cineman

Stunt Coordinator

• 188 posts

Posted August 01 2012 - 07:35 AM

I'm anxious to get this one, too. I was also there on opening day (and count me among those who immediately recognized a clumsy edit, or rather, necessary limited patchwork, in that "This is what happens..." autopsy scene. "What?" is what happens, I thought, but there was no real follow up). The audience was so keyed up before the credits rolled because of those effective trailers and the very good critical reviews that just about anything would have triggered a big reaction. However, the best part was this one actually delivered quite a bit more than just about anything and delivered it clear to the very end. All of our pre-screening excitement and anticipation was fully validated and justified, a rare and satisfying movie treat. I would put PSYCHO, THE EXORCIST, and JAWS at the top as the three most memorable audience participation shocker movies of my lifetime in terms of shrieks and air-lifts. I wasn't around for those KING KONG and FRANKENSTEIN initial releases. But from what I've read they might have compared or surpassed my top three for all time audience reactions in that respect, don't know. Interesting that two of those huge audience participation shockers changed forever the way we approach the theatrical movie-going experience. Since PSYCHO, it has been unthinkable to routinely show up in the middle of a move assuming we wouldn't lose much from the experience spending time trying to figure out what we'd missed. And, of course, JAWS ushered in the must-see opening weekend wide-release blockbuster. I suppose you could say THE EXORCIST provided an assist to the JAWS must-see opening weekend wide-release revolution in that it was the one two years earlier that everyone had to see, stood in line for hours to see, but for weeks if not months could only see in limited release at exclusive run downtown theaters. That first opening weekend wide-release for JAWS answered the call for many to stop the exclusive run agony and just give it to all of us, even in the multiplexes and smaller houses in the suburbs, on day one. And we most certainly did show up in droves to thank them for it.

#45 of 250 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,597 posts

Posted August 01 2012 - 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by haineshisway 

And, true to form, as the five-star reviews begin to appear, and screen caps begin to appear, the usual suspects come out in force - yes, they see EE and DNR - not as bad as usual, though. They subvert Mr. Harris' words, it's just, well, silly? One of them even admits he's not only looking and judging screen caps, he's ENLARGING them, blowing them UP.

It is true.

People are better than anybody.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#46 of 250 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 01 2012 - 07:42 AM

The screencaps look pretty good to me, perhaps some of your "usual suspects" and i suspect i am on your list, should be given more credit, it looks fine to me from the screencaps.  A possible exception being the night scene at the beginning of the film but i'll wait till i have seen it before jumping to conclusions.  Of course i do understand how this particular film was shot and therefore can judge the screencaps better.

Universal only have themselves to blame on all this because they have stated in interviews they see grain reduction and sharpening to be a routine process for their Blu ray releases, that statement was made back when Gladiator was re-released and they said as per directors request they were not applying their usual standards to the release and they explained what that meant, even now despite what Mr Harris has said i still have some doubts over this release, that's only because Universal are involved in it, the screencaps look okay, i think some minor grain reduction has been applied but thankfully i don't see the usual EE and that is a huge bonus for a Universal release.

I will refer my full judgment until i have viewed the film in full.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#47 of 250 OFFLINE   Doctorossi

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor

• 834 posts

Posted August 01 2012 - 07:48 AM

One of them even admits he's not only looking and judging screen caps, he's ENLARGING them, blowing them UP.

:confused: Why would that not be the best way to critically look at them, were one to do so?

#48 of 250 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,364 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 01 2012 - 09:11 AM

The screencaps look pretty good to me, perhaps some of your "usual suspects" and i suspect i am on your list, should be given more credit, it looks fine to me from the screencaps.  A possible exception being the night scene at the beginning of the film but i'll wait till i have seen it before jumping to conclusions.  Of course i do understand how this particular film was shot and therefore can judge the screencaps better. Universal only have themselves to blame on all this because they have stated in interviews they see grain reduction and sharpening to be a routine process for their Blu ray releases, that statement was made back when Gladiator was re-released and they said as per directors request they were not applying their usual standards to the release and they explained what that meant, even now despite what Mr Harris has said i still have some doubts over this release, that's only because Universal are involved in it, the screencaps look okay, i think some minor grain reduction has been applied but thankfully i don't see the usual EE and that is a huge bonus for a Universal release. I will refer my full judgment until i have viewed the film in full.

No, none of the usual suspects reside here.

#49 of 250 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,364 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 01 2012 - 09:13 AM

:confused: Why would that not be the best way to critically look at them, were one to do so?

Because that is not a way to look at FILM. These are screen captures - you have no idea how they were done, if they are accurate (I've never seen a screen cap that actually was completely accurate to what I see in motion - yay OR nay). What do you think we used to do in movie theaters for the entire history of motion pictures - think we yelled up to the projectionist and said - "Stop the film, I thought I saw some EE or a halo or DNR - can you please blow up that part of one frame?" No, we watched the movie.

#50 of 250 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,811 posts

Posted August 01 2012 - 09:32 AM

According to Carl Gottlieb, the theatrical release strategy for Jaws was completely revised by the head of Universal in the cinema where they held the first preview screening to go through the roof.  Gottlieb says that as soon as they saw how enthusiastic the crowd was, they immediately decided to take it wide right away.  Which of course paid off for them in a big, big way.

#51 of 250 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

HTF Premium Member

• 3,293 posts

Posted August 01 2012 - 09:45 AM

Because that is not a way to look at FILM. These are screen captures - you have no idea how they were done, if they are accurate (I've never seen a screen cap that actually was completely accurate to what I see in motion - yay OR nay). What do you think we used to do in movie theaters for the entire history of motion pictures - think we yelled up to the projectionist and said - "Stop the film, I thought I saw some EE or a halo or DNR - can you please blow up that part of one frame?" No, we watched the movie.

Not to mention that a lot of the screencaps posted online are resized, lossy compressed JPGs. Not the best way to get anything other than a general idea of what the moving image will look like.

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#52 of 250 OFFLINE   kenkraly20212

kenkraly20212

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted August 01 2012 - 11:20 AM

Great review by Robert Harris. I'm looking forward to getting Jaws on Blu-Ray August 14th. I'm happy to hear that not too much DNR was put on this remaster of Jaws and also I'm glad to hear the original mono soundtrack in DTS 2.0 mono is on the blu-ray. As great as the new remix is the original mix should always be put on a order title on blu-ray as well.

#53 of 250 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 01 2012 - 11:26 AM

Can anyone confirm the end line spoken by Roy is intact, the smile line. ?

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#54 of 250 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,597 posts

Posted August 01 2012 - 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by FoxyMulder 

Can anyone confirm the end line spoken by Roy is intact, the smile line. ?

A bit muffled?

#55 of 250 ONLINE   Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted August 01 2012 - 12:03 PM

Can anyone confirm the end line spoken by Roy is intact, the smile line?

I've seen vintage prints of the film on a few occasions, and "bitch" has always been clipped.
Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#56 of 250 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,597 posts

Posted August 01 2012 - 12:09 PM

The point is made.

#57 of 250 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 2,000 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted August 01 2012 - 03:36 PM

My late wife and I went to see Jaws in August 1975 when she was eight-and-a-half months pregnant with our daughter. We thought she would deliver right in the theater, thanks to Bruce. Three weeks ago, my daughter, soon to be 37, gave birth to her second son (and my second grandchild). I will be relishing Jaws the evening it arrives by mail--in remembrance and in celebration. Thank you, Universal!

Congrats on your second grandchild and thanks for sharing your memories. I also saw it upon initial release. I remember double dating with my best friend from high school and the two girls spent as much time in the lobby as they did in the seats. Not what you would call a rather swift idea for a date movie. Certainly it was a different era, before video and widespread cable and before kids became desensitized by what they saw and when they saw it. During that sold-out showing of JAWS on a very large screen, I saw more popcorn flying up into the air then any film before or since. No doubt about it, it was an event. For a few years we used to do a summer rental on Martha's Vineyard on Lighthouse Road and used to bike past the Gay Head Lighthouse shown in the film on the way to the beach.

#58 of 250 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,239 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted August 01 2012 - 04:13 PM

As a ten year old I stood in long lines Outside of the Blaker theater on the Wildwood boardwalk in New Jersey. That movie probably effected me more than any other since. We lived in Wildwood during the summers and after seeing Jaws the first time, it was a bit difficult to go back in The water. It was so much fun standing in long lines that literally went around the block with all the people who loved the movie as much as we did and still do. I'll be getting the digibook from BB and am curious to see what's included in the pictures of that digibook. I'm guessing it'll be many of the same shots included on that photo book included in the previous DVD edition. The old Blaker....... http://www.funchase....ainFallsPg5.htm
facebook.com/whotony

#59 of 250 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 01 2012 - 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Harris 

A bit muffled?

I wondered if the "bitch" part of the line had been completely removed, IMDB claims that happened with the 30th anniversary edition, now i have that DVD but it's been a good five years since it was watched so i can't remember if it was missing and that got me worried about this release.  Glad to hear it's intact.

#60 of 250 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,811 posts

Posted August 01 2012 - 08:21 PM

I've now had the opportunity to watch about the first 20 minutes of the movie.  I'll watch the rest before I submit my review.

My first reaction is to agree with RAH's assessment.  This is an excellent Blu-ray.  I am seeing detail I never noticed before.  All kinds of things, from the clarity of the stripes and anchors on Murray Hamilton's initial suit, to the glassiness of the water in that iconic shot from below of the woman swimming.   I had never noticed Quint's mate standing off to the side during his talk with the Selectmen.  In prior viewings, he just seemed to appear to me out of nowhere.  This time I could see him, and the little dog at the end of his leash.   The detail level is high enough that I could see that the closer shot of the kids playing at the dock/boat was done on another day, under brighter conditions.  The sound has been judiciously worked to 7.1.  The surrounds are really only used sparingly - and mostly for music.

The extras are in standard definition, including the more recent documentary, which looks like it was done around 2005.

I look forward to watching the rest.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users