Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

SPHE Press Release: Annie 30th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 of 47 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 43,005 posts

Posted July 31 2012 - 05:02 AM

Posted Image

Adapted from the Tony Award®-Winning Musical Comedy

Starring Albert Finney, Carol Burnett, Aileen Quinn,

Bernadette Peters, Ann Reinking and Tim Curry

ANNIE
Debuting on Blu-ray™ October 2nd

Celebrating the 30th Anniversary of the Film

http://www.amazon.co...s=annie blu-ray

Culver City, CA (July 31, 2012) – The sun will come out October 2nd when Sony Pictures Home Entertainment celebrates the 30th Anniversary of the beloved musical classic ANNIE with its Blu-ray debut. This charming motion picture was adapted from the smash Tony Award®-winning musical comedy based on the “Little Orphan Annie” comic strip about a young, red-haired orphan, Annie, and her dreams of a better life outside the orphanage walls. Filled with musical numbers that have become Broadway classics, such as “Tomorrow,” “Easy Street,” “It’s the Hard-Knock Life,” ANNIE features an ensemble cast: five-time Academy Award® nominated Albert Finney (Best Supporting Actor, Erin Brockovich, 2000) plays billionaire Oliver “Daddy” Warbucks; Emmy® and Golden Globe® winner Carol Burnett (TV’s “The Carol Burnett Show”) plays Miss Hannigan, the orphanage’s cruel headmistress. It also stars Aileen Quinn in her feature film debut, as well as Bernadette Peters (TV’s “Smash”), Ann Reinking (All That Jazz) and Tim Curry (The Rocky Horror Picture Show).

ANNIE was directed by Academy Award® winner John Huston (Best Director, Prizzi’s Honor, 1985) and written by Academy Award® nominated Carol Sobieski (Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published, Fried Green Tomatoes, 1991). The film was executive produced by two-time Tony Award® winner Joe Layton (“No Strings,” “George M!”). Special features include the “My Hollywood Adventure with Aileen Quinn” featurette, in which Aileen Quinn discusses her journey being cast as Annie and her memories on the production. Exclusive to the Blu-ray is a Sing-Along with Annie, allowing fans to sing along to all their favorite songs from the film, as well as a musical performance of “It’s the Hard-Knock Life” by pop group Play, as previously released on DVD. The Blu-ray also includes the original trailers and TV spots from the film.

SYNOPSIS
The charismatic little orphaned Annie’s (Aileen Quinn) luck changes for the better when billionaire Oliver Warbucks (Albert Finney) arrives at the orphanage looking to take one of the children for a short time. Annie soon charms the billionaire with her lively warm nature and together they set out to search for Annie’s parents. With the mean head of the orphanage, Miss Hannigan (Carol Burnett) attempting to hinder their plan, Annie’s search will prove to be quite a heartwarming journey.

Blu-ray Special Features Include:

·         Blu-ray Exclusive Sing-Along with Annie! Sing along to all your favorite songs from the film

·         “My Hollywood Adventure with Aileen Quinn” Featurette

·         Musical performance of “It’s the Hard-Knock Life” by Play

·         Original trailers and TV spots

ANNIE has a run time of approximately 127 minutes and is rated PG.

Artwork and clips are available for downloading at www.SPHEPUBLICITY.COM. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at www.SonyPictures.com.

Academy Award® is the registered trademark of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Emmy® is a registered trademark of ATAS/NATAS.

Golden Globe® is the registered trademark of the HFPA.

SONY PICTURES HOME ENTERTAINMENT

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment is a Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) company. Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) is a subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America, a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Corporation. SPE's global operations encompass motion picture production and distribution; television production and distribution; home entertainment acquisition and distribution; a global channel network; digital content creation and distribution; operation of studio facilities; development of new entertainment products, services and technologies; and distribution of entertainment in more than 159 countries. For additional information, go to http://www.sonypictures.com/

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 47 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted July 31 2012 - 05:09 AM

apologies in advance to the movie's fans but- this took precedence over an anniversary edition of 1776? Seriously?

#3 of 47 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,603 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 31 2012 - 05:24 AM

^ I don't care about either movie but I'd be pretty surprised if Annie didn't sell much better than 1776.

#4 of 47 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,687 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted July 31 2012 - 05:31 AM

Actually, if this disc does sell decently, it may persuade Sony to release other musicals as well.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#5 of 47 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 43,005 posts

Posted July 31 2012 - 05:32 AM

Being a huge advocate for 1776, I have been wondering whether  I should chime in here or not.     I have to agree, Annie has more widespread appeal than 1776.   That doesn't mean I am not as frustrated as everyone else that there is no Anniversary Edition this year of the 1972 musical.

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#6 of 47 OFFLINE   Eric Vedowski

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit

• 328 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted July 31 2012 - 05:49 AM

"Annie" was in heavy rotation back in the 80s & 90s on cable. I've been surprised how many 30ish people I've talked to who love "Annie." I'll be giving a few copies of this as gifts. I don't understand why "1776" isn't held in higher regard. I saw it on a field trip in high school a few years after it came out. We were all dreading it but we ended up loving it.

#7 of 47 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 43,005 posts

Posted July 31 2012 - 06:02 AM

I believe one of the main reasons why 1776 has not been released is out of respect for the fans -- many who reside on this forum and were part of the uproar when the DVD was released.   I will generalize here...   I am confident the studio is well aware that if they don't put out the best 1776 that they can, there is going to be considerable backlash.   However, at the same time that attitude is holding back the studio from releasing this film.   A considerable amount of effort and cost would have to be put into the reconstruction and as with any classic film project of that size, there is fear that the title ultimately will not sell.  After all, 1776 is no Lawrence of Arabia.   Quite frankly, I am thankful to Sony for not just putting 1776 out on Blu-ray bare-boned.  The fact that the studio is still holding back on its release is actually a good thing.  It most likely means that the project has been put on the back-burner until a time that everyone feels more poised to release it.   In the meantime, there's always the chance it could get licensed out to someone that would be willing to put the reconstruction effort into it.   Annie was a much easier decision in the long run.

Ronald J Epstein

#8 of 47 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,485 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted July 31 2012 - 06:09 AM

Oh my goodness... Oh my goodness... (over the 1776 / Annie Discussion)

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#9 of 47 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted July 31 2012 - 06:17 AM

"Annie" was in heavy rotation back in the 80s & 90s on cable. I've been surprised how many 30ish people I've talked to who love "Annie." .
That makes sense- as does Ron's comments of it as a no fuss no muss proposition. FWIW, I went to the theater in '82 to see it and thought it was horrendous- but then I also thought the Goonies was shrill and unpleasant and that has plenty of fans too in the same age demographic. The notion that Annie had any 'appeal' at all did not compute immediately. As another aside, I just started reading the original strip last year and I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying it. The musical bears little resemblance to it, of course. Eric, my first viewing of 1776 was also on a school field trip in '77 I think. Enjoyed it then and even more now.

#10 of 47 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,431 posts

Posted July 31 2012 - 06:28 AM

The film's being released to tie in with the upcoming Broadway revival - simple as that

#11 of 47 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,782 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 31 2012 - 12:52 PM

Who writes these press releases? John Huston's Best Director Oscar was for The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (also Best Screenplay). He didn't win it for Prizzi's Honor (though he won a bunch of other prizes that year).

#12 of 47 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,717 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 31 2012 - 01:16 PM

That makes sense- as does Ron's comments of it as a no fuss no muss proposition. FWIW, I went to the theater in '82 to see it and thought it was horrendous- but then I also thought the Goonies was shrill and unpleasant and that has plenty of fans too in the same age demographic. The notion that Annie had any 'appeal' at all did not compute immediately. As another aside, I just started reading the original strip last year and I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying it. The musical bears little resemblance to it, of course. Eric, my first viewing of 1776 was also on a school field trip in '77 I think. Enjoyed it then and even more now.
I loathed both Annie and The Goonies and loathe them still. :) It's hilarious to think that someone at Columbia actually sat and thought, who'd be the perfect director for the smash hit musical Annie and then came up with the name John Huston. The project was doomed right then and there.

#13 of 47 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,665 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted July 31 2012 - 05:41 PM

I know the movie was maligned by the critics and flopped at the box office, but that doesn't hamper my enjoyment of it in the least. I'll be happy to upgrade on this one.

#14 of 47 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,431 posts

Posted July 31 2012 - 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway /t/322691/sphe-press-release-annie-30th-anniversary-edition-blu-ray#post_3956398 I loathed both Annie and The Goonies and loathe them still. It's hilarious to think that someone at Columbia actually sat and thought, who'd be the perfect director for the smash hit musical Annie and then came up with the name John Huston. The project was doomed right then and there.
I thought the same thing, but then Carol Reed never was known for musicals and did a great job on "Oliver!" (with help from Onna White) but in 1981 lightening did not strike twice and Huston really should never have taken this project - nor should Ray Stark who didn't like the stage show either

#15 of 47 OFFLINE   NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted July 31 2012 - 06:33 PM

I saw the show first, and was appalled at how grossly overproduced and ruined this movie was. Giving away the big song over the credits! The orphans were charming on stage because they WERE LITTLE GIRLS and acted like it, but Huston had to have them act like the June Taylor Dancers directed by Busby Berkeley. I'm surprised he didn't have them lie down and make patterns on the floor. Replacing NYC with a showcase for a Studio Exec's girlfriend was another huge loss. Casting, with the qualified exception of the aforementioned GF (she's not bad - but not star quality or worthy of the star treatment) is good, but OMG what an example of "plussing" all the appeal out of a show! The TV revival was MUCH better. If they come up with an appealing package with worthy extras (whatever DID happen to Aileen Quinn after her solo album dropped?) I don't begrudge its existence. Sony can't help that the movie wasn't made well. They can only make it play as nicely as possible.

#16 of 47 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 2,452 posts

Posted July 31 2012 - 06:42 PM

I saw the show first, and was appalled at how grossly overproduced and ruined this movie was. Replacing NYC with a showcase for a Studio Exec's girlfriend was another huge loss. .
I also saw the stage musical first, and the studio and Huston's decisions just seemed nonsensical. STARTING with losing "NYC" in favor of the Rockettes, and a long scene of "Camille"....The heck?? :confused: By the time they threw most of the FDR plot out the window so we could get an exciting bridge chase, I found myself just giving up on the whole thing, and that was back when it was in theaters. The '99 Disney TV-movie at least managed to preserve most of the original stage musical (and staginess), it's a shame they had to throw away Albert Finney and Carol Burnett on this version.
I loathed both Annie and The Goonies and loathe them still. :) It's hilarious to think that someone at Columbia actually sat and thought, who'd be the perfect director for the smash hit musical Annie and then came up with the name John Huston. The project was doomed right then and there.
Just why John Huston got the job of directing this has puzzled movie fans for years: We really didn't know much about old 40's movies back in '82--it was all one big mythical blur of fedoras and vintage cars--and assumed "Eh, he was there, he can do 30's."...Um, yeah, if we're talking "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" or "Maltese Falcon". As for Huston, though, he didn't care; this was the 80's, back when he was directing cheap paycheck movies like "Victory" just to pay the bills on "Under the Volcano".

#17 of 47 OFFLINE   Mark Oates

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted July 31 2012 - 06:45 PM

Hang on a second, chaps. We should all remember that how ever much we may think Annie is cringeworthy, it's a masterpiece compared to Disney's craptacular 1999 remake with Kathy Bates and Victor Garber. And that will probably tower magnificently over the remake that Will Smith's been talking about.
J Mark Oates
Do Not Be Afraid. That sound is simply my mind boggling.

#18 of 47 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,687 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted July 31 2012 - 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oates /t/322691/sphe-press-release-annie-30th-anniversary-edition-blu-ray#post_3956557 Hang on a second, chaps. We should all remember that how ever much we may think Annie is cringeworthy, it's a masterpiece compared to Disney's craptacular 1999 remake with Kathy Bates and Victor Garber. And that will probably tower magnificently over the remake that Will Smith's been talking about.
  I said it before and I'll say it again, I'll never say a word against the Disney version after Willow Smith gets through with it (if they can actually make it worse than Annie: A Royal Adventure or the animated King & I, I'll be impressed). But since that's still in development, I'm getting it in now. I abhor the Disney version.   Truth be told, I looked forward to seeing what a more faithful adaptation could bring to the table, based on how much I enjoyed the TV version of Gypsy. I gave it the benefit of the doubt, but when I saw it actually unfold, I was incredulous. Miss Hannigan (an unfunny and unpleasant performance by Kathy Bates, whom I usually like, and who later proved with her appearance on The Office that she can do comedy) being nice to the orphans, then pretending to be Annie's mother at the end? Unbelievable. Warbucks, a white, conservative public figure obsessed with his public image, marrying a black woman in 1933? They would have been criminals in several states prior to the U.S. Supreme Court's 1967 ruling on Loving v. Virginia (a non-issue if it had been set in the present day). Worse, Victor Garber (a much better singer than Albert Finney, but his Warbucks just comes off too stiff) and Audra McDonald had no chemistry whatsoever. And I didn't believe for one second that any of those girls in the orphanage had had a hard-knock life. And what happened to FDR, Hooverville and all that Depression stuff? In trying to avoid the overproduction of the movie (I don't think the movie suffered from overproduction, but reveled in it), they made it too safe, too sweet and deadly dull, which the original movie was not. And it opened the door for Matthew Broderick to destroy The Music Man.   If I want something that captures the essence of the original play, I'll see a production of the play (last saw it two years ago in Raleigh; Andrea McArdle was Miss Hannigan, and though her powerful pipes are still intact, I wasn't terribly impressed with her performance) or listen to the Original Broadway Cast album.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#19 of 47 OFFLINE   NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted July 31 2012 - 07:06 PM

I MUCH, MUCH MUCH prefer the remake. For one thing, it had LOTS of REAL Broadway people involved, from the top down, who all knew their way around a musical.

#20 of 47 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Producer

• 3,057 posts

Posted July 31 2012 - 07:24 PM

I'm surprised Sony is actually retailing this (not thru Twilight Time). Perhaps Lawrence of Arabia isn't their wide-retail classic blu-ray swansong afterall. I'll buy it. I believe the original DVD had OAR issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users