Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Does heat damage dvd

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Shash

Shash

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted July 30 2012 - 07:29 AM

I have these merlin (bbc) dvds and i put the box on top of my lamp and then, when i picked the box up it was really hot. All of the dvds were boiling and then i tried playing one of the dvds (the hottest one) then it was fine,, but when i got further into the episode it started to jerk and jump.:confused: These arent mine i was borrowing them so i was getting worried. I took it out and gave it a wipe and tried it again, but it kept jerking. My friend keeps her dvds in good condition so there were no scratch at all. I probably have permanatley damaged them so i want to know if there is anything i can do to stop them from jerking ... :cool: thanks for the help

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Nebiroth

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor

• 748 posts

Posted July 30 2012 - 07:44 AM

The extreme heat has probably physically damaged them, it may even have caused the discs to warp. I think your best solution is to own up and offer to buy a new set.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,931 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted August 01 2012 - 03:36 AM

I may be moving to an area that has a tropical climate pretty much all-year round. I know that kind of climate is less than ideal for records and such and keeping everything cool via A/C is probably not in the cards for financial reasons. what can I do to minimize damage to my media collection besides keeping my stuff away from sunlight?

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos. 

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Nebiroth

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor

• 748 posts

Posted August 01 2012 - 04:27 AM

Keep the humidity and damp as low as possible.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   John Stell

John Stell

Supporting Actor

• 862 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted August 04 2012 - 06:10 AM

I have a dehumidifier that is in the room where my tapes/lasers/dvds etc are stored.  During the summer I have to empty it once a day.  Also, if you can't afford AC, get a portable fan that can keep the room cool.

"...you would not understand...You do not...have...daughters."

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,252 posts

Posted August 04 2012 - 07:17 AM

Heat is a major problem for DVDs, CDs and the machines that play them. I went through three DISH DVRs in less than a year, which they thankfully replaced at no charge. Ended up being my fault. To much electronic stuff with to little ventilation. I now keep the glass doors on my TV stand open and haven't had a problem. As for the Merlin DVDs, I think you're out of luck, probably permanently damaged.
Stan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users