Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Rethinking The Importance Of Video Calibration

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 RayJr

RayJr

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted July 29 2012 - 03:48 AM

Hello All, Thought you would find this interesting. http://hometheaterre...eo-calibration/ Even professorial reviewers can be educated. :) RayJr
Serving the Greater Los Angeles Area
THX Video Certified  - Certified Audyssey Installer

LA Area Home Theater Group
My Media Room

#2 of 4

Posted July 29 2012 - 05:11 PM

It's a great article and actually very accurate.  Particularly about the training method differences between ISF and THX.

While I will probably get shot down, I valued the THX certification method over the ISF certification method.  I'm also friends with Joel Silver.  I liked having to have calibrated displays to get my certification with THX, vs when I did ISF, I didn't have to do a certain number of displays.

However, both do try to accomplish the same thing.  Just different ways of doing it.

What's funny is that Michael Chen and Gregg Loewen we in both the THX and ISF sessions (as helpers and instructors) when I was getting trained.

It's unfortunately that anyone would ever try to calibrate something by eye.  Having been a student of Joe Kane, that was drilled into my head at a very early state.  However, until recently, it was next to impossible for any consumer to set gray scale or accurate gamut without an very expensive meter.  Today, a consumer can get into the game without spending >$10K...

But Ray, you already know this as you educated this "reviewer"... :)  Good job!

#3 of 4 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,626 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted July 31 2012 - 08:47 AM

As someone who is both multiple kinds of color blind and also all about the "bang for the buck" I've chosen to use the THX mode that came with my latest TV and call it a day. I could probably improve upon that by a few percent if I really tried with a disk mode and a color capable friend but I have my doubts that it would really make all that big a difference to me. I've been very satisfied with my own calibrations in the past using DVD Essentials and other disks, but this time I didn't even have to do that. It's the future, guys. There will always be room for you guys who want to go nuts and computer calibrate down to the micrometer level but for the average person they will want either: -Eye burning high contrast like they saw at the store!!!! -A one button choice that gets the 98% of the way to a highly accurate picture I'm happy that there is now this solid middle ground for those of us who care about accuracy but not enough to spend hundreds of dollars on an in home visit. Again without even the frustration of doing it yourself.

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#4 of 4 Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.

• 6,316 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted August 06 2012 - 05:27 AM

hi guys Ray, thanks for posting the link. Great article!

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users