-

Photo
- - - - -

HAMMER FILM BLU-RAYS IN THE U.K. ... getting closer to the Holy Grail (DRACULA, 1958)...

• Please log in to reply
349 replies to this topic

#341 of 350 OFFLINE   tele1962

tele1962

Second Unit

• 340 posts

Posted April 23 2013 - 06:57 AM

I am very disappointed that Robert Harris has not responded to posts for his opinion on the Blu Ray Dracula.

Maybe he hasn't seen it yet?

#342 of 350 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,007 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted April 23 2013 - 09:32 AM

Yeah, he's kind of a busy guy, y'know.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#343 of 350 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted April 23 2013 - 09:38 AM

Yeah, he's kind of a busy guy, y'know.

Hey we Brits invented sarcasm you know.  :lol:

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#344 of 350 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,007 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted April 23 2013 - 09:46 AM

I know. British blood, transplanted to Canada. ;)

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#345 of 350 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted April 23 2013 - 10:12 AM

I know. British blood, transplanted to Canada. ;)

I am guessing the weather is a lot like being in the UK, by the way i do like your Ebert quote, it's so true.

• Stephen_J_H likes this

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#346 of 350 OFFLINE   SAhmed

SAhmed

Stunt Coordinator

• 184 posts

Posted April 23 2013 - 01:18 PM

In no way am I putting words in Robert Harris's mouth but speaking from my understanding of past observations, when Mr. Harris doesn't respond (particularly when he has expressed an interest in a release) I take it to mean "if you can't say something nice then don't say anything" :-)

I may of course be wrong in which case I stand corrected!

Regards,

#347 of 350 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,007 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted April 23 2013 - 05:17 PM

I own the U.K. Blu-ray of the 1958 DRACULA.

If you have a multi region BD player..... BUY THIS FILM!

#348 of 350 OFFLINE   kinzoels

kinzoels

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted April 28 2013 - 08:39 AM

In no way am I putting words in Robert Harris's mouth but speaking from my understanding of past observations, when Mr. Harris doesn't respond (particularly when he has expressed an interest in a release) I take it to mean "if you can't say something nice then don't say anything" :-)

I may of course be wrong in which case I stand corrected!

Regards,

Hello SAhmed: A very respectful thought on your part, but Mr.Harris has made his thoughts quite known regarding the Blu Ray Sparatcus, which is essentiallly, take it off the market! In fairness, this could be because of the extensive restoration work he did on the film, but he's not adverse to speaking his mind. With more and more viewings of DRACULA I continue to find things that bug me...I tried watching it "up close" and I don't mean 2 feet away, as you would expect to be able to do witih a restored blu ray presentation and couldn't help notice the amazing ammount of grain "movement". So I went back to watching further back. I also did a frame by frame analysis of the ending and found obvious pin holes" in the print,which makes me ask how much restoration was actually done. Lastly, I don't so much have any trouble with the color grading except for the scene of Minas face at the top of the stairs and in the bedroom...what I do have a problem with is the blu rays contrast changes on a scene by scene basis. It changes dramatically, and dosn't "hang together" as well as it could..just my thoughts...I'd like to hear other peoples thoughts on this grain point

#349 of 350 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted August 01 2013 - 02:39 PM

Who hasn't read the evaluation of the new DRACULA / HORROR OF DRACULA blu-ray in the current issue (#174) of VIDEO WATCHDOG:

http://www.videowatc....les/174/3b.jpg

http://www.videowatc.../home/home.html

It expresses my own observations better than I can and more. I agree with it, mainly, so it must be right.

Edited by Richard--W, August 01 2013 - 02:40 PM.

#350 of 350 OFFLINE   John-Weller

John-Weller

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted May 27 2014 - 12:11 PM

I'm actually largely content with the colour timing on the transfer. It's much darker than usual but it's not been tealed or anything, and it's far superior to the Warner DVD. However, I'd be interested in seeing Warner have another crack at it for a Blu-Ray.

The extras on this set are superb. Great commentary, documentary on the film, featurettes on the censorship and the restoration, and a lovely Christopher Frayling interview/essay.

The Japanese reels included are very interesting to see. I have no idea if they are technicolor or Eastmancolor, but they show a colour scheme partway between the Warner DVD and this BD, which suggest the happy medium.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users