-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Help w/ dual zone system

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 DennisKD

DennisKD

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted July 27 2012 - 02:47 PM

I am a total beginner and am trying to put together a home theater. It will need to be a dual zone setup - inside and outside. Inside will be your standard TV (via cable box), DVD, and music. Outside will be music only. Inside: TV - Sharp Aquos 60" LED TV Cable box DVD player - currently a really cheap Magnavox (might upgrade to Blu-ray) Speakers - Not sure yet. Currently have a cheap surround setup (5 speakers and sub) but they are pretty bad. I might switch to a sound bar and subwoofer. Outside: 2 speakers and subwoofer - Infinity Outrigger The system will have the following requirements: 1 - Ability to watch TV/Movies inside and while music is playing outside 2 - Support a subwoofer inside and one outside 3 - Stream music from iMac or iPhone to stereo (or have hookup compatible with Apple Airport) The ability to watch TV inside at the same time music is playing outside is my biggest concern. If being able to support a subwoofer in each zone is going to substantially increase my cost, then I might be OK with just the inside one. I am looking for a decent receiver, but don't want to spend a fortune. What receivers should I be looking at? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#2 of 2 schan1269

schan1269

Executive Producer

• 13,175 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted July 27 2012 - 04:22 PM

You can forget the outside sub. The only pieces of equipment, that I know of, that have a provision(without a "workaround") are Integra pre-pros(and possibly Arcam, Anthem and a few others) and those, by themselves, are $1400+. It would be beneficial to have an overall budget. The "other thing" you have to consider is "what is the source of the music for outside"? CD player? Itunes? Windows Media? The reason for that question is... At the price point I'm expecting you to come up with, the 2nd zone only works with analog music(as in hooked up with RCA). There are receivers out there that do Airplay in the 2nd zone...but even with that...if you don't "spend enough" on the receiver...you end up with Zone 2 hangups(like this desire you have to play Zone 1 independent). So...more info.