What's new

Google's ridiculously awesome 8 tuner Fiber TV box (1 Viewer)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Yeah, right. They actually want us to believe that there could actually be 8 things WORTH RECORDING airing at the same time?

Seriously, though, it's an interesting concept, but for $120/month or more (the article makes it sound like the $120/mo figure is for the regular TV package, not the premium/works) that's Comcast/XFinity territory pricing, which I've sworn off of for the foreseeable future. I'm happy with FiOS and a few extra $$ in my pocket.

Edit: The pricing is not as high as I thought, according to this article: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57480670-93/google-launches-kansas-city-fiber-net-intros-google-fiber-tv/

Hmm, interesting, and slightly more compelling an option.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
It seems kind of odd that they are doing this to push high speeds but only including 5 down/1 up as part of the basic install.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What's the boom? Where can I get this? It doesn't look different from the $99 fios packages here.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jason Charlton said:
Yeah, right.  They actually want us to believe that there could actually be 8 things WORTH RECORDING airing at the same time? ;)
Using 3 dual tuner DVRs during football season, I could easily be using all 6 tuners at once and I had to choose which game(s) that I wanted to leave off my list. Besides the networks showing regional games, you have the ESPN family of networks and they will activate a few alternate channels for the day as well. Then there's Fox Sports which will show some of the smaller schools.
If I had the NFL package then Sundays would be the same issue but I only follow one pro team.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'm in the entry group for Gigabit. Which is surprisingly reasonable. If nothing else this is forcing every other carrier to quickly scramble to increase or change their offerings.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Robert_J /t/322605/googles-ridiculously-awesome-8-tuner-fiber-tv-box#post_3956085
Using 3 dual tuner DVRs during football season, I could easily be using all 6 tuners at once and I had to choose which game(s) that I wanted to leave off my list. Besides the networks showing regional games, you have the ESPN family of networks and they will activate a few alternate channels for the day as well. Then there's Fox Sports which will show some of the smaller schools.
If I had the NFL package then Sundays would be the same issue but I only follow one pro team.

LOL, I had you specifically in mind as I wrote that... yes, sports can be a source of programming bottlenecks. I don't think I could ever find the time to watch that many games (even fast-forwarding between snaps, which is awesome fun to do if the team has the perfect "DVR" pace to their offense).

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My college football watching usually goes into Sunday morning. I just have to avoid sports news for a little while until I am caught up.
Since my HD DirecTiVo died recently, I'm down to 4 tuners. Since that DVR couldn't pick up the new HD channels on satellite, it handled my OTA HD recordings on Saturday. If my Boll Weevils ever get a TV deal, I'll be upgrading. But how often do Division II schools play on TV?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I was on FIOS, until they sold out to Frontier (in my area) who after promising not to change anything promptly dropped TV service and wanted to switch everyone to satellite. While in no way to I need gigabit, I'd take it at the price they are offering. I think the article greatly underestimates the cost of bringing fiber to each house though.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I wonder if current FiOS subscribers (who already have the fiber run to the house) would be able to "switch" service to Google. Most certainly, you'd need new hardware, but the fiber line itself would already be run to the home, and would save some coin on the installation costs.

Not sure I really need the ridiculously fast Internet or the storage space, but at that price point, I'd probably have to switch just on principle alone.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I'm still waiting for the cable companies to catch up to DirecTv and deliver an HD-DVR that actually works reliably and has a decent sized hard drive.

We had a total service disruption the other day, prompting me to call in to tech support. While on-hold, a recording listed off all of the channels that were carrying the Olympics, then a disclaimer that "high definition programming can take up a lot of space on your DVR, so you may want to record the Olympics off the standard definition channels to conserve disc space."

How about providing a DVR that actually has a hard drive larger than 160 Gb?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Toddwrtr /t/322605/googles-ridiculously-awesome-8-tuner-fiber-tv-box#post_3956865

How about providing a DVR that actually has a hard drive larger than 160 Gb?

160 GB is pretty pathetic... wow. I've been happy with the Cisco box we have (500GB capacity, and it supports external eSATA drives - we'd have to provide, though) except for what seem to be very frequent software updates.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
At the very least, Cox could turn on the eSATA port on the back of the older, crappy Motorola boxes. But I refuse to pay a premium for "Whole Home DVR" service (which is on the buggy Cisco boxes) just to get a 500GB hard drive, especially since we only have one HDTV in the house.

I sure miss my DirecTv.....

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I still don't understand this. Is this only available in Kansas City? Is Google rolling out national cable TV & internet service?

Does this affect Comcast or Verizon at all nationally? Or is this another Google side project that will be killed and forgotten next year?

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
Interesting. I am a resident of Independence, MO, a suburb of Kansas City, MO. It doesn't look like it becomes immediately available to me, but should soon. I just signed up for a one year commitment to U-Verse. I'm glad it's only one year, as this looks like something that I am going to want. This is kind of like what U-Verse should have been.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks