Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Announcement: Guys and Dolls and Hans Christian Andersen (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 of 70 OFFLINE   Virgoan

Virgoan

Second Unit

• 317 posts
  • LocationOakland CA

Posted July 30 2012 - 05:28 AM

That's 20% - pretty good percentage for musicals pre-1970 (when they were popluar) I will admit the musical films prior to 1950 are silly going and I find them hard to sit through (except for Cagney's  "Yankee Doodle Dandy" and "Footlight Parade" which are really non musical - people only sing when their characters are performing on stage)

Silly going? Met Me in St. Louis? Wizard of Oz? Best Foot Forward? Good News? Holiday Inn? Shall We Dance? Top Hat? Give me "silly going" ANY DAY OF THE WEEK! :D As for "Guys and Dolls" being the top grossing film of 1955, every source I've consulted indicates Disney's "Lady and the Tramp" was that year's top-grossing film. Possibly, it was the year's top-grossing "musical"?

#62 of 70 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,047 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted July 30 2012 - 06:39 AM

Guys and Dolls was actually the top grossing film of 1956, according to Variety. Given its late release date in 1955 (3 November), it would have had to make a substantial amount in a very short time to be the top grosser of 1955.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#63 of 70 OFFLINE   Rob W

Rob W

Second Unit

• 468 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted July 30 2012 - 01:00 PM

Guys and Dolls was actually the top grossing film of 1956, according to Variety. Given its late release date in 1955 (3 November), it would have had to make a substantial amount in a very short time to be the top grosser of 1955.

Those box office stats in Variety would include the grosses for the entire run of the film, not just 1955.

#64 of 70 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted July 31 2012 - 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Virgoan 

As for "Guys and Dolls" being the top grossing film of 1955, every source I've consulted indicates Disney's "Lady and the Tramp" was that year's top-grossing film. Possibly, it was the year's top-grossing "musical"?

"Lady and the Tramp" didn't become the top film of 1955 until many years later when it had many re-releases. You have to go to the 1956 Variety to see what the tops films were that year. Today's lists included all the re-issues

#65 of 70 OFFLINE   Escapay

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Time and Space

Posted September 24 2012 - 09:49 PM

Haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere, but Amazon.com has the rear covers for these two releases, which confirm the technical specifications and extra features. Hans Christian Andersen 1.37:1 Academy English 1.0 DTS-HD MA English, French, & Spanish Subtitltes Theatrical Trailer (2:42) (Click here for image) Guys & Dolls 2.55:1 Widescreen English 5.1 DTS-HD MA English, French, & Spanish Subtitltes "The Goldwyn Touch" (23:53, from 2006 DVD) "From Stage to Screen" (26:40, from 2006 DVD) "More Guys and Dolls Stories" (7:44 split among 5 clips, from 2006 DVD) "Musical Performances" (19:42 split among 6 performances, from 2006 DVD) Theatrical Trailer (4:51, from original DVD) (Click here for image) Not included is a photo gallery and a 72-page scrapbook, though I'm sure elements of both are in the Digibook.

#66 of 70 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 909 posts

Posted September 25 2012 - 05:54 AM

I hope there's a non-digibook release.

#67 of 70 ONLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,601 posts

Posted September 25 2012 - 04:05 PM

I hope there's a non-digibook release.

Why?? I don't even like HCA (Danny came off too dim in the Goldwyn movies, the songs are nice, but the story has embarrassingly nothing to do with Hans's bio, and it's just no Court Jester, but what was?), and the digibook already has me salivating... :P Buy what you like, but it's embarrassing what a Digibook will make me want to put on my shelf.

#68 of 70 ONLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,146 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted September 25 2012 - 06:21 PM

Why?? I don't even like HCA (Danny came off too dim in the Goldwyn movies, the songs are nice, but the story has embarrassingly nothing to do with Hans's bio, and it's just no Court Jester, but what was?), and the digibook already has me salivating... :P Buy what you like, but it's embarrassing what a Digibook will make me want to put on my shelf.

Why?? Digibooks are horrible, they take up more space and they mess up the evenness of my shelves :( I always avoid digibooks and steelbooks and funky packaging, just give us a REGULAR case please - I'm looking at you Warners.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#69 of 70 ONLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,601 posts

Posted September 25 2012 - 08:04 PM

Why?? Digibooks are horrible, they take up more space and they mess up the evenness of my shelves :( I always avoid digibooks and steelbooks and funky packaging, just give us a REGULAR case please - I'm looking at you Warners.

I, OTOH, remember the days when you could buy theater programs at the lobby (yes, I'm that old, but they were as recent as the early 80's). Given that most of the digibooks are basically just cast lists, publicity photos and song lyrics to begin with, I often take down my Clash of the Titans or Willy Wonka digibooks off the shelf, and wonder what my earlier childhood of Star Wars and E.T. collectible programs would have thought of the idea of taking home a souvenir theater program with the entire movie included in the back. :D My shelf is a "bookshelf" library of my favorite movies, and I won't rest until they all have book-bindings.

#70 of 70 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 909 posts

Posted September 26 2012 - 01:30 AM

I generally wind up making a standard Blu-ray cover and trashing the digibook. I'd rather save the bother, which is why I hope there's a non-digibook release. But if I must fire up the scanner, I will. Since we have a recycling bin, at least the digibook won't fill up the landfill!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users