-

Photo
- - - - -

Bought new Mits WD-73742 - but shows 493 hours in service menu

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 Brent Bridgeman

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted July 23 2012 - 11:50 AM

Just took delivery of a new Mits WD-73742 on Friday, 7/20. When I was setting it up, I noticed in the service menu that it had 493 hours on it already. I thought it may be a software glitch, but now I'm not so sure. Called Mitsubishi twice, and they said they can't trace a TV by the serial number to see where it has been, nor did they know anything about a service menu or about the number of hours on a TV. Called Amazon and they said it was a new TV but asked what I wanted to do, and I told them I'd hold off for a few days to investigate further. Does anyone have a fairly new 742 series that they can check the hours on? Another person on another forum said they had way to FEW hours showing on a 738 series. Or, lacking that, any advice?

#2 of 3

• 0 posts

Posted July 24 2012 - 05:13 PM

It sure sounds fishy to me.  Do you have any way of measuring the light output of the display?  If the display really has that many hours on it, the light output will probably be around 70% less than new.

I don't think / believe that the hours on the display are going to have any negative effect outside of that you probably have to replace you bulb significantly sooner than you would expect and that the light out put would be significantly less than a new bulb.

I've never seen a software glitch for the service menu in regards to hours used.  Nonetheless, that's a lot of hours.

#3 of 3 Brent Bridgeman

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted July 25 2012 - 12:56 AM

After getting some advice on other forums and having a couple people with the same new model check their hours (about 8 hours after some viewing for both), I called Amazon yesterday and they are exchanging it for a new one. Fortunately, I can watch this one until the new one arrives and then they will take it away. The set with 493 hours works fine, but I want to get what I pay for, new.