Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TV For Use in Areas With Lots of Natural Light and Static Images...on a budget...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   Johnal

Johnal

Stunt Coordinator

• 129 posts

Posted July 23 2012 - 08:14 AM

Hey Folks, I'm looking to get my hands on a 42" TV that will be easy to see/watch when placed (wall mounted) in a room with several windows that have plenty of indirect sunlight shining through. Curtains are simply not an option and based on my research that means I've got to get a unit that has at least 500 nits but preferably more to ensure readability. The TV will primarily be used with static images or will rotate between a set of images. Once upon a time burn-in was a huge deal, but I'm not sure if those fears have been dealt with nowadays so I thought it worth mentioning. My budget is to be at $815 or lower after taxes and shipping. (I'm in CA, tax rate where I'm at is 7.75%) I know that's really stretching it thin considering I'm being specific to the 42" size and relatively high NIT requirement so suggestions that are close are definitely worth mentioning. Other preferences would include a non-obtrusive or minimal bezel. Ideally, there would be no speakers (at least not in the bezel) to allow for more uniformity around all sides. So far, the best I've been able to find that meets my own parameters is the Panasonic TH-42LF30U. The price is just too high, unfortunately. Planar PS4200 There seems to be a number of TVs on Amazon that fit the price range (since at least for now I don't pay tax or shipping on Amazon Prime eligible products), but I can't seem to find a NIT/brightness rating. Is there something new I'm missing on how to determine this? See: LG 42LM6200 LG 42LS5700 Panasonic VIERA TC-L42U5 Anyway, thanks in advance for any words of advice or suggestions. It's been a while since I've been in the TV market. =)

#2 of 2 OFFLINE  

• 0 posts

Posted July 23 2012 - 04:57 PM

You want to go with a LCD panel with LED backlighting.  That is substantially brighter than plasma and LED is brighter than CFL backlit displays.  LED also provides with a much thinner frame.

You are also going to want to make sure you get a matte screen vs a glossy screen.

Both the LG 42LM6200 and LG 42LS5700 are backlit LCD panel, but it looks like they have glossy screens.

The Panasonic VIERA TC-L42U5 seems to be CFL backlit, thus the reason the price is so much cheaper.

I haven't seen NIT ratings on flat panels for a long time and even if I saw them, I would question how they were being measured.  Manufacturers publish contrast ratio's for these sets that are no where near reality for real viewing conditions.

So, I think you are on the right track for the LG's, but I would go to a retail store to see if they have glossy screens.  If they do, I don't think you will be happy.