Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Cinema Filter

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Spottedfeather

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted July 22 2012 - 08:05 PM

What exactly does a setting called Cinema Filter do ? In the manual, it says... Cinema Filter Turn this setting on to soften overly bright movie soundtracks, which are typically mixed for reproduction in a movie theater. What does "soften overly bright movie soundtracks" mean ?

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,981 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted July 23 2012 - 02:17 AM

"Bright" is a term that usually describes an emphasis on tweeter/high frequencies in a soundtrack.  Excessive "brightness" becomes "harsh" to some people.

The filter probably applies some degree of signal processing that "caps" the high end of the frequency response to some degree or another.

Give it a try and see if you like the results.

Generally, though, many of us (myself included) prefer not to use any sort of artificial signal processing or "enhancements" offered by our recievers - instead focusing on reproducing the sound as intended by the sound engineers.

I have fiddled with some DSP (Digital Signal Processing) soundfields when playing concert DVDs - they can add echo and reverb to "simulate" an Arena or Stadium setting.  It's interesting, but the novelty wears off quickly, and for the most part, these features NEVER get used on my system any more.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

Executive Producer

• 14,467 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted July 23 2012 - 08:18 AM

Exactly what JC said... Try it and see if you like it. I don't use very many "enhancements" either...but I have golden ears. I can tell a lossless Itune from a CD(been tested blindly numerous times). It all depends how "prickly" your ears are. If you like CF...use it.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted July 23 2012 - 09:55 AM

Cinema sound systems tend to be very mid and low-range heavy. If this is an attempt to replicate that, not interested.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert