Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

7.1 Speaker placement.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Hilmir Kolbeins

Hilmir Kolbeins

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted July 22 2012 - 03:00 AM

I just moved to my new house, but just before I decided to move I bought 7.1 home theatre system. My new house has more ceiling height than my old one, so this posed a problem for me when installing the side speakers as the ceiling is leaning upwards from the living room window. I would love all suggestion on where to place the speakers.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

Executive Producer

• 14,238 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted July 22 2012 - 03:57 AM

First... 1. What kind of speakers? 2. Are you opposed to using something like this...??? http://www.amazon.co...g speaker mount

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Hilmir Kolbeins

Hilmir Kolbeins

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted July 22 2012 - 05:21 AM

I have these speakers and they are bit heavy, solid wood. http://usa.yamaha.co...333/?mode=model I was just thinking if I could place on just above the large window and the other on the opposite side in the rafters. Could that angle distort the soundfield.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Hilmir Kolbeins

Hilmir Kolbeins

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted July 22 2012 - 05:23 AM

I was thinking about using and LCD screen wall mount on swivel arm that I have laying around, but the one thing that is bothering be is the angle of the ceiling.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

Executive Producer

• 14,238 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted July 22 2012 - 05:55 AM

That is why I showed that kind of ceiling mount. You could always make your own. Use/buy/make 1-2 foot drop by the window/wall. Then, depending on the drop needed(6 feet???) use/buy/make ceiling mounts to drop them down to the same height as the ones by the wall/window. Or, just mount them "up"...depends what you want to do. Dropping from the ceiling will create the best sound, but makes them visible... Those Omnimounts(hardly the only choice out there) hold a 20 pound speaker. Yours are only 12 pounds.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Hilmir Kolbeins

Hilmir Kolbeins

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted July 22 2012 - 06:06 AM

Thanks I am looking into the "amazon" mount for the one that needs to bee dropped down to the same height. I was just wondering if the sound would be affected if it would be installed in the ceiling.