What's new

Audio Cuts in and Out on Yamaha HTR-5230 (1 Viewer)

robinsaneyo

Auditioning
Real Name
James
I've had a Yamaha HTR-5234 receiver for a long time now, and for the past two years I've been having an issue where the audio keeps cutting out on one speaker periodically. I can fix the problem by briefly turning the volume up.
I've had two different sets of speakers set up with the receiver, and I still had the same issue. I don't know the gauge of the speaker wire, but I've used two different kinds but still had the same problem.
A second issue I just discovered last night is the volume is very low on the right surround channel. This is the first time I've had the surround speakers plugged in, so I don't know how long it's been doing that. To make sure it wasn't the set-up, I swapped the speakers and the wires between the left and right surround channels, but the volume was still low compared to the other speaker.
I looked around online and saw another person had the same exact issue with the audio cutting out, but only one person replied to the thread and suggested that it was the speaker set-up, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

robinsaneyo

Auditioning
Real Name
James
That's what I just did today. It had something like 10 years of dust accumulation inside since I've never opened it up before. I was able to download the service manual for the receiver so I'm going to check out some of the diagnostics and voltages tonight when I bring the receiver home.

robinsaneyo

Auditioning
Real Name
James
So, I wanted to post a follow up to this thread to say that I resolved all of the problems I was having. I don't know exactly what it was that took care of it, but here are all of the steps I took:
-Completely disassembled the receiver and cleaned all of the dust out as well as re-seating all the ribbon cables (there was A LOT of dust all over)
-Cleaned the main speaker terminals while I had them out of the receiver
-Replaced all of the speaker wire
-Reset the receiver to default settings
-'Cleaned' the volume POT (I just moved it from minimum to max over and over while applying pressure at different angles, I also tightened the POV to the receiver as it was a bit loose before I removed it)
I found the issue with the right surround speaker was because the level for it was set very low compared to all of the other channels. At some point in owning this receiver, I for some reason set the volume to that channel lower than all of the others. I haven't had more than 2 speakers set up with this receiver in almost 10 years. I only just found out that you can adjust the delay and the level for each speaker by going through the various settings. I lost track of the manual for the receiver while moving through all the years I've had it, so I completely forgot I had settings like this.
At the end of this post are the user manual and the service manual which I used to do all of this. The user manual shows you how to adjust the levels of all of the speakers (as well as show you everything you need to know how to operate the receiver) and the service manual shows you how to disassemble, as well as how to run diagnostics on the it. Unfortunately, you need to create an account (both free) with both websites in order to download the documentations, but it was worth it.
I'm a computer tech. and sometimes I will run into a problem that I can't for the life of me figure out. My usual procedure is to Google the problem before doing anything drastic, and I frequently run into the problem of where someone else will post the same problem I'm having in a forum somewhere, but then there won't be any replies after saying what they did to fix the problem, or at least admit they couldn't figure it out. I hope that this thread will in some way help someone else out who might have a similar issue that I was having.
User Manual
Service Manual

robinsaneyo

Auditioning
Real Name
James
So, I wanted to post a follow up to this thread to say that I resolved all of the problems I was having. I don't know exactly what it was that took care of it, but here are all of the steps I took:
-Completely disassembled the receiver and cleaned all of the dust out as well as re-seating all the ribbon cables (there was A LOT of dust all over)
-Cleaned the main speaker terminals while I had them out of the receiver
-Replaced all of the speaker wire
-Reset the receiver to default settings
-'Cleaned' the volume POT (I just moved it from minimum to max over and over while applying pressure at different angles, I also tightened the POV to the receiver as it was a bit loose before I removed it)
I found the issue with the right surround speaker was because the level for it was set very low compared to all of the other channels. At some point in owning this receiver, I for some reason set the volume to that channel lower than all of the others. I haven't had more than 2 speakers set up with this receiver in almost 10 years. I only just found out that you can adjust the delay and the level for each speaker by going through the various settings. I lost track of the manual for the receiver while moving through all the years I've had it, so I completely forgot I had settings like this.
At the end of this post are the user manual and the service manual which I used to do all of this. The user manual shows you how to adjust the levels of all of the speakers (as well as show you everything you need to know how to operate the receiver) and the service manual shows you how to disassemble, as well as how to run diagnostics on the it. Unfortunately, you need to create an account (both free) with both websites in order to download the documentations, but it was worth it.
I'm a computer tech. and sometimes I will run into a problem that I can't for the life of me figure out. My usual procedure is to Google the problem before doing anything drastic, and I frequently run into the problem of where someone else will post the same problem I'm having in a forum somewhere, but then there won't be any replies after saying what they did to fix the problem, or at least admit they couldn't figure it out. I hope that this thread will in some way help someone else out who might have a similar issue that I was having.
User Manual
Service Manual

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks