Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What do you think????? Surround Sound Ideas wanted

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Titan34

Titan34

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted July 19 2012 - 02:06 PM

Finished basement 60 inch vt50 panasonic plasma and ps3. The basement is 35 ft by 25 ft. The TV area is in the corner with a soffit above the tv. There is a kneewall with granite top 10 ft away from tv. So viewing distance is about 9.5 feet. I also have a soffit right above the kneewall and need to figure out what type of speakers would be a good idea for rears. I am trying to get the surround sound completed for less than 1500. So far I am thinking Onkyo 609 or 909 I think. One is 289 the other 489 refurbished. I would like some decent towers for my fronts. So far I was thinking polk monitor 60 or 70's Sub thinking bic pl200 or polk 505 center polk cs2 No idea for rears. Please give me some advise I am a complete noob to speakers and surround sound. 70 percent movies. I need to get the ball rolling please help a guy out.... Thanks Steve

#2 of 4 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,849 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted July 19 2012 - 02:58 PM

If there is no where to "mount" speakers behind you...get another set of towers and just set em on the floor facing each other like surround speakers should be.

#3 of 4

Posted July 19 2012 - 07:20 PM

If you can post some pictures of your setup, that would help.

Also, are you looking to do 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound?

In regards to speakers, it is best to match the speakers in terms of brand / model line.  You want to have the tweeters and mid-range matched.  So, I would recommend listening to a variety of speakers at the dealer with source material that you are used to.  Everyone likes a different sound, so any recommendation here is what an individual prefers.  Going to a dealer and listening yourself, at the end of the day is what matters.  I listened to about 5 different brands of speakers years ago and discovered that I loved the sound of Revel speakers.  My audio friends debate with me about B&W speakers, but I just didn't like the sound of them when I listened to them with my material.  Does that mean they aren't good speakers?  No, I just didn't like them and my audio friends didn't like Revel.

Of course, regardless of what speakers you purchase, if you don't have the placement and acoustics of the room setup properly, the most expensive speakers will sound like crap.

I've always been impressed with HAA (Gery Lemay) and took his Level 1 training class and walked out with an incredible appreciation of just how speaker placement controls a large part of the audio quality.  Gery has some pearls of wisdom that you might find interesting.

Let me know what other advice you are looking for.  I wasn't sure if you were looking for placement or brand advice.

#4 of 4 Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,792 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted July 20 2012 - 01:43 AM

Steve,

Corner setups are notorious for wreaking havok with speaker placement.

First of all, have you checked out the Dolby guidelines for speaker placement?  Note that for 5.1 setups, the best place for the "surround" speakers is to the sides of the listening position, not behind.

If budget prevents you from getting a second set of towers for the surround speakers, you can always get bookshelves and some inexpensive speaker stands (or build your own).

Not sure what the price on the Polk sub is, but chances are you can do better than Polk when it comes to subs.  The Bic F-12 has a great reputation as one of the best $200 subs out there.  I think Polk's speakers are decent (you could consider the Monitor 40 or 30s for surrounds), but their subs just aren't a great value in terms of performance.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users