What's new

retro gaming on a samsung 32in 720p lcd TV (1 Viewer)

macnerd77

Auditioning
Real Name
Joshua
So i have built my living room theater system and now I am starting to build my collection of retro gaming systems. I have a NES, N64 and a Dreamcast. I am wondering what is the best way to hook all these systems up to my HDTV. Currently the video quality of the systems is terrible on my tv. i Know that these consoles are very low resolution. I was wondering Is there a VGA switch box or something that may help the video look better? in the end i will have 6 retro systems connected all with composite or svideo. or is there at least a switch box for the 6 systems? My main goal is to hopefully improve the video quality on my hdtv and have a switch box for the 6 systems. I have searched all over all over the forums and the web and i have not found an answer to this question. Here is a list of my equipment
TV - Samsung LN32B360C5D
Receiver - TX-NR609
Thanks in advance
Joshua

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
My guess, and it's only a guess would be a box like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Recoton-SVS1000-S-Video-Switch/dp/B000031WCH

It has inputs for S-Video and RCA, three of your systems only use the RCA I believe, I'm not sure about the Dreamcast. The S-Video might help the image, I don't think it's a resolution booster though, or if one exists.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I have my N64, SNES, Dreamcast, and original Xbox hooked up to my 46" TV through a switchbox that uses S-Video plus my PS3, Wii, and 360 hooked directly into my TV. The visual quality of the older systems sucks and I don't think there's anything you can really do about it. (Sidenote: I have a first gen PS3 that plays PS1 and PS2 games and my Wii plays GameCube games, so I didn't bother have those older consoles hooked up.)
Sadly, your best bet may be to get a HTPC set up with emulators for games. It's a sketchy legal thing because of ROMs but you can probably get a cleaner picture coming out of a PC or laptop than you will from a regular RCA connection on the consoles.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
macnerd77 said:
So i have built my living room theater system and now I am starting to build my collection of retro gaming systems. I have a NES, N64 and a Dreamcast. I am wondering what is the best way to hook all these systems up to my HDTV. Currently the video quality of the systems is terrible on my tv. i Know that these consoles are very low resolution. I was wondering Is there a VGA switch box or something that may help the video look better? in the end i will have 6 retro systems connected all with composite or svideo. or is there at least a switch box for the 6 systems? My main goal is to hopefully improve the video quality on my hdtv and have a switch box for the 6 systems. I have searched all over all over the forums and the web and i have not found an answer to this question. Here is a list of my equipment
TV - Samsung LN32B360C5D
Receiver - TX-NR609
Thanks in advance
Joshua
I don't know what to say other than retro games(sprite based, polygonal) from any old systems looks pretty bad on LCD. I can improve the image a little on my 40" LCD by lowering the sharpness, and adjusting the colors.....but they still look bad(N64 on LCD Freaking YIKES!). Currently in the proces of going back to 20" CRT monitors for retro gaming. the old games just look fantastic on these.
3 20" monitors
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/241170.html?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleps&gclid=CIuKrpSxq7ECFUYCQAodKjgA2w
3 switchboxes(composite cable)
6 systems ready to play any time:
-N64
-NES
-Super Nintendo
-Genesis
-Sega Master System
-Sega Saturn

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor
That's really what the problem is. LCD's *really* don't do well with resolutions other than the native, and the low resolution of CRT's hid alot of graphical problems.
Other than getting a CRT, the only other real option is the one Morgan describes. Some Emulators, like MESS, include filters to more accurately represent the CRT experience. Older systems do a bit better on LCD's with the HLSL filters.
I'm a big fan of retrogaming though, today's games rarely hold a candle to the "Fun" factor that older games had in spades!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks