• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#121 of 153 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,588 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted January 18 2014 - 02:00 PM

Actually, the drones seem like the perfect neighbor prank.

Like, if your neighbors are strictly religious with teenagers. Drop off an enormous box of condoms...

#122 of 153 EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,475 posts

Posted January 18 2014 - 05:39 PM

Well, it happened.  My first Amazon purchase that got sales tax applied.

:(

I knew it was coming as they are building a distribution center about 10 miles from me....

#123 of 153 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,568 posts

Posted January 18 2014 - 11:09 PM

Eric,

Welcome to the Amazon tax club.  They added tax for NJ residents last July.

What state are you located in?

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#124 of 153 EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,475 posts

Posted January 19 2014 - 05:50 AM

WI.

To be honest, the only time I really cared was when I would make a substantial MP3 purchase, since iTunes already taxed and Amazon didn't.  And I don't really see any change in my buying habits since Amazon was usually my choice based on selection first, price second.  But it WAS nice not to pay it!

#125 of 153 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,195 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 14 2014 - 12:50 PM

Moderator's Note:

Just moved a bunch of posts about Amazon's announcement to hike their rates for Prime shipping privileges from this thread into THIS thread.

• Sam Posten likes this

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#126 of 153 Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,139 posts

Posted March 14 2014 - 12:53 PM

Eric,

Welcome to the Amazon tax club.  They added tax for NJ residents last July.

What state are you located in?

Ron, you got lucky for many years. Being in Washington state, we've always been taxed because they have a "presence" here.

Stan

#127 of 153 Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,124 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted March 21 2014 - 05:18 PM

Since I moved into my own place a little over a month ago I've had 27 different orders from Amazon.  Just about everything I needed for my apartment was bought through Amazon and last Tuesday I ordered a couple movies just to "enjoy" this weekend.  Well, the tracking said they were delivered on Wednesday but they weren't at my door and they weren't in the office where the larger packages usually go.  I called Amazon today and they're replaced both items without even questioning me and even agreed to ship them overnight so that I'd get them on Saturday.  They even apologized and gave me a $5 MP3 store credit. 

I've always heard great things about their customer service but they went beyond my expectations.

#128 of 153 Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,475 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 03:27 PM

I've always gotten good customer service from Amazon too.  It's very rare that I've had an issue in the first place, but the few times I've had a problem, they've jumped in.  One time I purchased an item from a third party seller via Amazon, and the item never came and the seller never responded; Amazon refunded me the moment I brought it to their attention (rather than going through a dispute process).  Another time I accidentally ordered two copies of a discounted DVD by mistake; they refunded me for the extra purchase but allowed me to keep the extra item instead of sending it back.  Something missed a guaranteed release date delivery window - normally the guarantee is the shipping is free, but since I'm a Prime member that doesn't really mean anything - so I got a ten dollar credit on the disc. 

Probably the best thing I can say about their service is that I've been using them for about fifteen years, and it's taken me ten minutes just to try to think of examples of when I had order problems, and I could come up with only three.

• davidHartzog likes this

#129 of 153 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 16,218 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted April 04 2014 - 04:58 PM

Cue cat lives!!!!
https://fresh.amazon.com/dash

Anyone get an invite?

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#130 of 153 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 16,218 posts

Posted April 10 2014 - 10:26 AM

Annual letter:

http://www.geekwire....iage-proposals/

#131 of 153 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 16,218 posts

Posted April 22 2014 - 06:52 AM

Thank you Captain Obvious!

http://www.bloomberg...online-tax.html

#132 of 153 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,497 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 22 2014 - 07:06 AM

Thank you Captain Obvious!

http://www.bloomberg...online-tax.html

Right, once I start paying the sales tax, I'll reduce my spending with Amazon accordingly.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#133 of 153 Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,552 posts

Posted April 22 2014 - 07:48 AM

I'm curious if the 245,000 households knew that they were part of the study?  My guess is no.

#134 of 153 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,599 posts

Posted April 22 2014 - 10:33 AM

Right, once I start paying the sales tax, I'll reduce my spending with Amazon accordingly.

I thought I would too, but I haven't. With Prime, it's still cheaper and more convenient to get things from them than a Target, Best Buy, etc. And when you factor in where I live (high density, high traffic Los Angeles) I'm more than willing to let Amazon Prime do the work for me, even if the playing field is more leveled with CA tax (which has been in effect for a year now).

I can see for others, where a quick trip to a store is just 5 minutes and not much hassle, where they would decrease their use of Amazon. But for me, it still makes sense to use them.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#135 of 153 Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted April 22 2014 - 10:41 AM

For me, the issue is that Best Buy and Target are not going to stock the titles that interest me.  It's either Amazon or some other online retailer and with my Prime account, Amazon is my first choice.

#136 of 153 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,568 posts

Posted April 22 2014 - 10:43 AM

I can see for others, where a quick trip to a store is just 5 minutes and not much hassle, where they would decrease their use of Amazon. But for me, it still makes sense to use them.

I am with Carlo on this.

Amazon started charging sales tax in NJ almost a year ago due to the fact that

they were moving into this State.

Of course, everyone knows that PRIME was raised by $25 annually.

Has that made me decrease my spending on Amazon?

Not one bit.

Mind you, I am not happy about the extra charges, but I am one of those

people that hates getting in my car and going to the store. 

...and I live in a low traffic area.

There's nothing I can really do about the extra charges.  However, it's still cheaper

and more convenient than going out to the store.

Cool beans, tho, about the drop in sales.  Should make Amazon think a bit -- not

that I expect anything to change. 

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#137 of 153 Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,552 posts

Posted April 22 2014 - 01:31 PM

Cool beans, tho, about the drop in sales.  Should make Amazon think a bit -- not

that I expect anything to change. 

Why cool beans?  I can think of many good reasons that Amazon should take a hit and plenty of bad ones too but none of the good reasons I can think of have to do with finally paying sales tax other than using their size and infrastructure to drive out competitors because it is more costly for the competitors to implement sales tax.

#138 of 153 David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,578 posts

Posted April 22 2014 - 01:38 PM

The other thing to consider is the actual tax rate. Online retailers use a set percentage. B&M use the local rate.

It still might be cheaper to purchase from Amazon. Here in the Chicago area I've seen a 3% difference by just driving a few miles.

#139 of 153 sidburyjr

sidburyjr

Stunt Coordinator

• 141 posts
  • LocationMount Pleasant, SC

Posted April 22 2014 - 02:11 PM

The other thing to consider is the actual tax rate. Online retailers use a set percentage. B&M use the local rate.

It still might be cheaper to purchase from Amazon. Here in the Chicago area I've seen a 3% difference by just driving a few miles.

Can you confirm this?  When I lived in PA, I was taxed according to PA tax laws -- 6% on most things, 0 on food, 0 on (inexpensive) clothing.

#140 of 153 Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,552 posts

Posted April 23 2014 - 05:14 AM

On the last two orders I just placed a few days ago, Amazon appears to know and use the local tax rate (7%) and not just use the state-wide tax rate (4%).  This is where some have argued that Amazon is now in support of sales tax for online orders because they have the size to implement it but the smaller competitors don't and such a requirement would drive their competitors out of business without Amazon doing anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users