Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ High Noon -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
311 replies to this topic

#301 of 312 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,597 posts

Posted February 04 2013 - 11:44 AM

The changeover to acetate was not as simple as one might surmise.  Early acetate elements, c. 1951-2, can be extremely problematic.  Far more so than nitrate, which is more stable in some ways.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#302 of 312 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted February 04 2013 - 02:09 PM

The changeover to acetate was not as simple as one might surmise.  Early acetate elements, c. 1951-2, can be extremely problematic.  Far more so than nitrate, which is more stable in some ways. RAH

I seem to recall you mentioning this in the 3-strip Technicolor thread. So the state of High Noon's OCN could be even more dire than if it were nitrate. That is, if it's not stored properly.

#303 of 312 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,597 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Lromero1396 

I seem to recall you mentioning this in the 3-strip Technicolor thread. So the state of High Noon's OCN could be even more dire than if it were nitrate. That is, if it's not stored properly.

Most likely in regard to early acetate having much greater registration problems, especially in pre-digital era.  Do a search for surviving release prints, c. 1951-52.  Slim Pickins'.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#304 of 312 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted March 10 2013 - 05:00 AM

Any word on a Sergeant York Blu-ray?

I'd certainly like to hear something from Warner concerning Sergeant York. It's one of my favorite films and I've been wanting it released on BD for a while.

#305 of 312 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,261 posts

Posted March 11 2013 - 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by JoshZ 

Unfortunately, many people who frequent Blu-ray forums like this (more so on other sites than HTF specifically) fail to distinguish between "problematic" and "unwatchable." If a disc is not what they perceive to be 100% "perfect" in every pixel of every frame, they want to rip it out of their Blu-ray player and set it on fire.

Back to the Future, for example, is a problematic transfer, but is not unwatchable. It's clearly an older master that's had some DNR and sharpening applied. It has edge ringing artifacts in some scenes, and a loss of textural detail. Yes, it could be better. But it's not terrible. In fact, for a lot of the movie, it's a very pleasant viewing experience. I would personally rate it 3.5 out of 5 stars, which is a solid recommendation. Yet I can't believe the arguments I got into about the horrors of that disc. People advocated watching recordings of the (admittedly, DNR-less) ancient HD broadcast transfer, which is swamped in noise and looks horrible. I find that ridiculous.

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly is another problematic Blu-ray, but not unwatchable. It looks pretty bad in some scenes, but pretty good in others. Overall, I think it comes out as a net positive. Maybe the Italian release is better, but until somebody matches that transfer up with the English soundtrack, I will continue to make do with the current American disc.

Agree. I rented the "High Noon" Blu-ray and just watched it.  I agree with RAH's assessment - actually, I was relieved to read it, since it confirmed what I saw though other reviews didn't comment on the "frozen grain" and whatnot.

However, none of this makes the BD unwatchable.  Is it a disappointment?  Certainly, but it's still a watchable rendition of a great film...

Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#306 of 312 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted March 11 2013 - 12:30 PM

Agree. I rented the "High Noon" Blu-ray and just watched it.  I agree with RAH's assessment - actually, I was relieved to read it, since it confirmed what I saw though other reviews didn't comment on the "frozen grain" and whatnot.  However, none of this makes the BD unwatchable.  Is it a disappointment?  Certainly, but it's still a watchable rendition of a great film...

I believe Mr. Harris was disappointed because of what it should have been considering this film's status. Honestly, I may purchase the disc at some point, but I feel that that money would be better spent on a properly done Twilight Time release and not a half-a**** effort by Olive/Paramount.

#307 of 312 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,670 posts

Posted March 11 2013 - 03:30 PM

I believe Mr. Harris was disappointed because of what it should have been considering this film's status. Honestly, I may purchase the disc at some point, but I feel that that money would be better spent on a properly done Twilight Time release and not a half-a**** effort by Olive/Paramount.

You do realize that if Twilight Time had gotten it, it would have looked the same. Twilight Time does not do transfers - they only take what they are given. I'm tired of all this bitching and moaning by people who don't even own the disc, and have not seen the disc. Its just wrong.

#308 of 312 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,250 posts

Posted March 11 2013 - 04:18 PM

I say again -- I found the HIGH NOON Blu to be an exponential improvement over any video release I've ever owned (I bought them all -- even CED!), so I have no complaints. Looks terrific to me.

#309 of 312 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted March 12 2013 - 09:47 AM

You do realize that if Twilight Time had gotten it, it would have looked the same. Twilight Time does not do transfers - they only take what they are given. I'm tired of all this bitching and moaning by people who don't even own the disc, and have not seen the disc. Its just wrong.

I'm not saying it would have looked any better from TT. Whether I own the disc or not is beside the point; the release has not been furnished with a proper image harvest and restoration.

#310 of 312 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted April 05 2013 - 08:50 AM

I'm not saying it would have looked any better from TT. Whether I own the disc or not is beside the point; the release has not been furnished with a proper image harvest and restoration.

If Sony/Columbia held the rights to it then i think it would have looked its very best.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#311 of 312 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,112 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted March 23 2014 - 02:29 PM

It's now $11.22 at Amazon, and worth it at that price.

http://www.hometheat...75#entry4066063

Rich Gallagher

#312 of 312 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,700 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 10:38 PM

Is this honestly the case?  The industry wouldn't do such work using the most "state of the art" equipment?  Sounds about as appropriate as mixing and mastering CDs on Radio Shack speakers.

Wouldn't surprise me.  When I started doing DVD/BD work at PBS Video, all I had to do QC on was a 13" monitor and headphones!  (I left in 2009...just after they bit the bullet and added a single 30" monitor for additional QC.)  Granted, PBS isn't Paramount or any of the other major studios, but it doesn't surprise me.  When I visited other small distributors as well as authoring houses around that time period, I didn't see anything larger than 40" or 50" being used, and most monitors were a lot smaller.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users