• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#121 of 141 OFFLINE   John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910

Second Unit

• 297 posts

Posted November 07 2013 - 08:21 AM

I was practically in tears watching this film in 3D, again!  Perfect presentation.

• Rob_Ray and Brian McP like this

#122 of 141 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted November 17 2013 - 09:43 PM

I note that Mystery Of The Wax Museum shows as 1080p on my plasma TV, looks like a new encode, upscales nicely, i'll have to check on the computer to see frame rate but i'm thinking it's not the original frame rate.

Edited by FoxyMulder, November 17 2013 - 11:12 PM.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#123 of 141 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,062 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted November 28 2013 - 09:13 PM

I note that Mystery Of The Wax Museum shows as 1080p on my plasma TV, looks like a new encode, upscales nicely, i'll have to check on the computer to see frame rate but i'm thinking it's not the original frame rate.

Unfortunately, MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM looks worse on the HOUSE OF WAX Blu-ray than it did on DVD, because of extremely annoying motion-blur artifacting. The movement is not natural-looking, sort of jerky, most noticeably during camera pans. Something went wrong during authoring, methinks. Hold on to your DVD for MYSTERY viewing.
  • FoxyMulder likes this

#124 of 141 OFFLINE   cb1

cb1

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts
  • LocationD/FW, TX

Posted March 20 2014 - 07:49 PM

I watched this movie for the first time as a blind buy. I loved it. This is the 4th title I own in 3D and I'm really loving it.

I noticed that the darker the room the better the 3D (for me anyway)

I'm looking forward to buying a few key titles to add... w00t!

• Bob Furmanek likes this
Thanks!
Chris

#125 of 141 OFFLINE   bruceames

bruceames

Second Unit

• 385 posts

Posted June 02 2014 - 09:04 AM

I was disappointed with this.  Compared to Creature From the Black Lagoon, the depth is practically non existent.   It's certainly better than watching it in 2D, but for all the raving I was certainly expecting something more 3D-like.   I've only watched about 20 minutes though, maybe it gets better later?

#126 of 141 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,960 posts

Posted June 02 2014 - 09:43 AM

I was disappointed with this.  Compared to Creature From the Black Lagoon, the depth is practically non existent.   It's certainly better than watching it in 2D, but for all the raving I was certainly expecting something more 3D-like.   I've only watched about 20 minutes though, maybe it gets better later?

The normal check your settings warnings applies, but really, wait until the paddle ball man!

#127 of 141 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 02 2014 - 10:08 AM

Depth non-existant, check your settings, look at the opening titles, massive depth and that's just one example.

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#128 of 141 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,332 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted June 02 2014 - 10:20 AM

Depth non-existant, check your settings, look at the opening titles, massive depth and that's just one example.

Opening titles should be coming out of the screen. Parts (like the hands) of the wax figures also come out a bit at the beginning of the movie.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#129 of 141 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 02 2014 - 10:25 AM

Opening titles should be coming out of the screen. Parts (like the hands) of the wax figures also come out a bit at the beginning of the movie.

I know that but i am talking about the depth in the background while the opening titles play, the street scene, there is a lot of depth there, i have a DLP projector, this title looks fabulous on it and there is zero ghosting, plenty of depth in House Of Wax.

• Reed Grele likes this

#130 of 141 OFFLINE   bruceames

bruceames

Second Unit

• 385 posts

Posted June 02 2014 - 02:06 PM

I get plenty of depth on other titles, so I don't know what settings adjustments I could do.   Compared to Creature, Tangled, Titanic, and others the movie looks relatively flat.   I kept taking off my (passive) glasses and never saw much blurriness like you'd expect.    I'll check it out again when I get home though and give it another shot.  See if there's anything that can be tweaked.    I just got my first 3DTV last week (Sony 65X900A) so I'm pretty exited to check a lot of stuff out.

#131 of 141 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 02 2014 - 02:49 PM

I get plenty of depth on other titles, so I don't know what settings adjustments I could do.   Compared to Creature, Tangled, Titanic, and others the movie looks relatively flat.   I kept taking off my (passive) glasses and never saw much blurriness like you'd expect.    I'll check it out again when I get home though and give it another shot.  See if there's anything that can be tweaked.    I just got my first 3DTV last week (Sony 65X900A) so I'm pretty exited to check a lot of stuff out.

Something doesn't sound right, i know this is an obvious thing to say but make sure it's not been set to play in 2D.

• Will Krupp likes this

#132 of 141 OFFLINE   bruceames

bruceames

Second Unit

• 385 posts

Posted June 02 2014 - 03:11 PM

Something doesn't sound right, i know this is an obvious thing to say but make sure it's not been set to play in 2D.

I checked that.  No, I put it 2D mode and there was quite a difference.   Don't get me wrong, there is depth, but it's rather subtle-like and not obvious 3D like the other movies I mentioned.   

#133 of 141 OFFLINE   bruceames

bruceames

Second Unit

• 385 posts

Posted June 02 2014 - 04:24 PM

I watched some it again today and it looks much better.  I don't know why, but it does, so please disregard what I said before.   Perhaps my eyes weren't in the mood yesterday, but then again Creature From the Black Lagoon looked good.   House of Wax doesn't have quite the eye popping in-your-face 3D as Creature, but it looks good.   Now to watch the rest of the movie!

#134 of 141 OFFLINE   revgen

revgen

Second Unit

• 306 posts

Posted August 31 2014 - 05:58 PM

Before today, I always tolerated the ghosting and crosstalk that House of Wax and Dial M would exhibit on my Samsung PN59D8000 plasma.

Before today, I never used the Cinema Smooth feature during playback, since I thought it was a useless feature similar to DNR. I decided try it out, and lo and behold, no more ghosting or crosstalk while watching House of Wax!

I wish I knew about this earlier.

I'll try it on Dial M tomorrow and see how it looks.

#135 of 141 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted September 01 2014 - 03:27 AM

Before today, I always tolerated the ghosting and crosstalk that House of Wax and Dial M would exhibit on my Samsung PN59D8000 plasma.

Before today, I never used the Cinema Smooth feature during playback, since I thought it was a useless feature similar to DNR. I decided try it out, and lo and behold, no more ghosting or crosstalk while watching House of Wax!

I wish I knew about this earlier.

I'll try it on Dial M tomorrow and see how it looks.

Cinema smooth is for playing back blu ray at 23.976fps, it's not a DNR feature even though smooth makes it sound like one.

#136 of 141 OFFLINE   aPhil

aPhil

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted October 03 2014 - 06:40 PM

FoxyMulder

I purchased the 2014 Samsung 60" H7150 tv less than 2 weeks ago. 

With my old 55VT30 Panasonic plasma, "Dial M for Murder" looked awful.

It's a revelation to see it on the new Samsung. Much more light, much less ghosting, more detail (yes! more than the plasma), color has more

punch, even more depth.

In real estate they say Location Location Location. On 3D maybe it's Display Display Display.

#137 of 141 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted October 04 2014 - 03:42 AM

FoxyMulder

I purchased the 2014 Samsung 60" H7150 tv less than 2 weeks ago. 

With my old 55VT30 Panasonic plasma, "Dial M for Murder" looked awful.

The panel response rate is very fast on your television, it's the refresh rate of those panels that improves crosstalk and it's why for example DLP projectors tend to not exhibit any ghosting whatsoever, i'm glad you are happy with your purchase.    :3dglasses:

#138 of 141 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,332 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted October 13 2014 - 04:49 AM

House of Wax $21.99 on Amazon

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#139 of 141 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,212 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted October 13 2014 - 02:46 PM

Thanks. Time to grab it.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#140 of 141 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,774 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted October 13 2014 - 02:53 PM

Yes a great price.  I'd been waiting and waiting for a price drop like this - but I actually caved 3 weeks ago and bought a copy from an Ebay seller for $25.  No big difference, especially since the currency conversion would be around the same, and I saved money on postage by buying a few more films from the same seller. :)

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users