Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

HOUSE OF WAX 3D Official!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#21 of 145 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 2,312 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted July 17 2012 - 05:46 AM

i dont know why but there is something about that little pre code film, Fay Wray total smartass that makes it so good, Michael Curtiz direction, Attwill spot on just such a classic that WB could do Horror, from the company; at that time was better know for Gangster Pictures
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#22 of 145 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,822 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted July 17 2012 - 06:10 AM

The original Warnerphonic left/center/right is long gone, but they still have the mono surrounds. Chace did a new stereo mix from existing stems about ten years ago. It's pretty good but it's not the original. .
I wonder what they will do for this release? I would guess Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and maybe include another track that is mono front and mono surround?

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#23 of 145 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,788 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted July 17 2012 - 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandL /t/322317/house-of-wax-3d-official#post_3949943 I wonder what they will do for this release? I would guess Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and maybe include another track that is mono front and mono surround?
  Warner has been using DTS-HD MA for a couple years now.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#24 of 145 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,822 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted July 17 2012 - 09:51 AM

Warner has been using DTS-HD MA for a couple years now.
Even better!

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#25 of 145 OFFLINE   Claude S

Claude S

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted July 17 2012 - 12:24 PM

Bob, Was. WarnerPhonic Sound a sound on film process or was it a double system like theatrical DTS is? if is was sound on film, I assume it used magnetic tracks and if so, how did it differ from the right-centre-left--surround tracks of CinemaScope's four track mag? -Claude

#26 of 145 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 4,282 posts

Posted July 17 2012 - 12:57 PM

Claude, WarnerPhonic Stereo utilized a full-coat 35mm magnetic track for the left, center and right speakers behind the screen and a mono optical track for the surround channel. The 35mm full-coat audio was on a separate roll that was interlocked with the two projectors that ran the left/right 3-D images, and the surround track was on the right print of the feature. The left print contained a mono optical composite track of the entire four channels and served as an emergency audio back-up in case the dubber went out of sync with the picture.

The tragedy of this stereo audio not surviving is the fact that it was an important element in the original presentation of the 3-D film. With fully directional sound and voices/effects that emanated from the sides and rear of the auditorium (during the fire in the wax museum, for instance) it helped to immerse the viewer in the action, adding an important element to the superb realism of the dimensional photography. At one point when Phylis Kirk discovers the body in wax, Vincent Price says from the back of the theater, "You shouldn't have done that, my dear." People in the audience were startled, to say the least.

As an example of the important role of sound in this presentation, the New York Paramount installed 25 surround speakers throughout the huge auditorium for the premiere.

Posted Image

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#27 of 145 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,822 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted July 17 2012 - 02:35 PM

Some ads. I had to scan each page and put them together so they look kind of crappy.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#28 of 145 OFFLINE   Claude S

Claude S

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted July 17 2012 - 06:41 PM

So WarnerPhonic sound was a double system,. As I had mentioned at the Film Tech Forum, I saw HOUSE OF WAX in dual projection 3-D at the Liberty Theatre in Honolulu during it's first run engagement in 1953 but sadly, it was not in stereo. Because I did not know anything about stereophonic sound at the time, it really did not matter. It was not until six years later in 1959 when I would have the opportunity hear stereophonic sound with THIS IS CINERAMA at Honolulu's Princess Theatre for the very first time. By the time I had seen all the other Cinerama films and early CinemaScope pictures starting with the Robe in 1963, I was already a stereophonic sound junkie. Out of all of theatres equipped for dual projection 3-D in the United States during the golden age of the format, were they many houses equipped for Stereo sound or was it only limited to major cities such as New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, etc., Robert ? -Claude

#29 of 145 OFFLINE   John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 718 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 18 2012 - 01:41 PM

I might be getting some of the technical stuff wrong here, but I remember years ago asking someone in the sound dept of Warners about THE CHARGE AT FEATHER RIVER, which I had recently seen on TCM and had a sort of psuedo stereo fullness to it. As best as I can recall, he said they had the mono mix down master and the surround track from a print and combined them to give that bit of perspective. Is that what they did for the HOUSE OF WAX DVD?

#30 of 145 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 4,282 posts

Posted July 18 2012 - 01:43 PM

Out of all of theatres equipped for dual projection 3-D in the United States during the golden age of the format, were they many houses equipped for Stereo sound or was it only limited to major cities such as New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, etc., Robert ?

Offhand, I don't have an exact count, but I can tell you that stereophonic sound installations were not just in the major cities.

An article in Motion Picture Daily from April 20, 1953 (ten days after WAX premiered) indicates that Warnerphonic had 59 installations, including the Rialto in Juliet, the Madison in Peoria and the Midway in Rockford, ILL; the Palace in South Bend, IN; the California in Stockton and the Buena in Ventura, CA; the Kenosha, Bay in Green Bay, Rauli in Oshkosh and the Majestic in Beloit, WI.

Here's how it was promoted at the 1,739 seat Madison in Peoria.

Posted Image

The theater has been closed since 2003. Here is a recent video of the interior.

Interesting to see the Warnerphonic surround speakers are still in place on the side walls! They look like an Altec cabinet but the videographer doesn't remain still long enough to get a good look.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#31 of 145 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 4,282 posts

Posted July 18 2012 - 01:45 PM

I might be getting some of the technical stuff wrong here, but I remember years ago asking someone in the sound dept of Warners about THE CHARGE AT FEATHER RIVER, which I had recently seen on TCM and had a sort of psuedo stereo fullness to it. As best as I can recall, he said they had the mono mix down master and the surround track from a print and combined them to give that bit of perspective. Is that what they did for the HOUSE OF WAX DVD?
I haven't heard the new mix for CHARGE so I can't compare. The new WAX stereo mix utilized some existing dialogue, music and effect stems for the front channels.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#32 of 145 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,822 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted July 18 2012 - 02:02 PM

Claude, WarnerPhonic Stereo utilized a full-coat 35mm magnetic track for the left, center and right speakers behind the screen and a mono optical track for the surround channel. The 35mm full-coat audio was on a separate roll that was interlocked with the two projectors that ran the left/right 3-D images, and the surround track was on the right print of the feature. The left print contained a mono optical composite track of the entire four channels and served as an emergency audio back-up in case the dubber went out of sync with the picture. [/URL]
Besides House of Wax and Charge at Feather River, did any other 3-D titles survive with surrond tracks?

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#33 of 145 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 4,282 posts

Posted July 18 2012 - 02:31 PM

Those were the only two stereo 3-D films with surround tracks. The only reason they survive is because they were mono optical.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#34 of 145 OFFLINE   Claude S

Claude S

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted July 18 2012 - 02:36 PM

I know IT CAME FROM OUT OF SPACE was release in 3-D with stereo sound and I think MISS SADIE THOMPSON did too. Was the stereo sound used by the other studios the same as WarnerPhonic Sound.? I would assume it was -Claude

#35 of 145 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 4,282 posts

Posted July 18 2012 - 02:46 PM

No, they were three channel: left, center and right only.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#36 of 145 OFFLINE   moviebear1

moviebear1

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted July 19 2012 - 11:42 AM

This is truely exciting news. Up till now the only Official 3-D release was in Japan on a now forgotten Video Disc system that was Alternate Field. I am hot to get my hands on this version as I am sure it will be better than any other versions out there. The only downside is this is the first announcement and preparing it could take up to a year before it's ready for release. I just want it in my hands. . . . . .yesterday. :P

#37 of 145 OFFLINE   moviebear1

moviebear1

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted July 19 2012 - 11:52 AM

Here is a story from a San Francisco paperhttp://www.hometheaterforum.com/content/type/61/id/163394/width/350/height/700

#38 of 145 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,562 posts

Posted July 21 2012 - 05:25 PM

I also saw this back in the 80's (possibly a re-release during the Friday the 13th 3D, Jaws 3D, Coming At Ya! period) and LOVED the movie, which plays just as well in 2D (paddleball scene excepted....).  It would be great to get another theatrical release of it, but I think that's hoping too much!

#39 of 145 OFFLINE   Michael Cucka

Michael Cucka

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted July 22 2012 - 03:53 AM

Came across this photo on Facebook of the Madison with both films on the marquee - "All Thrilling 3 Dimension Show":

Posted Image
Michael Cucka brucknerdoc@comcast.net

#40 of 145 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,881 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 22 2012 - 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Cucka /t/322317/house-of-wax-3d-official/30#post_3952253

Came across this photo on Facebook of the Madison with both films on the marquee - "All Thrilling 3 Dimension Show":
Posted Image

What I wouldn't give to be able to go back back in time and see these two films back-to-back!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users