Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Lou for You (Lou Lumenick's NY Post columns on DVDs)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#41 of 197 OFFLINE   Lou Lumenick

Lou Lumenick

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted August 14 2012 - 07:32 AM

DVD only, like the earlier Frank Sinatra and John Wayne 10-title sets probably with the same flimsy cardboard packaging. Lists for $50, but I'd expect closer to $30 when it goes up at Amazon.

#42 of 197 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,227 posts

Posted August 14 2012 - 10:24 AM

Excellent essay on JOHN, Lou. A strange movie that I watched on that TCM telecast.

#43 of 197 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,841 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 14 2012 - 02:07 PM

Great background on MY SON JOHN.  Over the years I thought I had read just about everything on the title, but Lou, you taught me a few things.  I have never see it, but it has been on my Holy Grail of film missions since I read story on Helen Hayes decades ago.  Now it is on pre-order and I will have the pleasure of crossing it off my bucket list.  It is kind of scary for that list is getting shorter.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#44 of 197 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,573 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 14 2012 - 02:36 PM

I agree. I greatly enjoyed the essay on the film, and it certainly piqued my curiosity to check it out when I get a chance.

#45 of 197 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,027 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 25 2012 - 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lou Lumenick 

This week's DVD Extra column: MY SON JOHN '52, the little-seen, evil political sibling of STRANGERS ON A TRAIN with the doomed Robert Walker, improbably turns up on Blu-ray
http://www.nypost.co...3azwmWLFmorZktN

A strange film My Son John to say the least.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#46 of 197 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,841 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 25 2012 - 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford 

A strange film My Son John to say the least.

Crawdaddy

Watched it tonight and was completely taken in by Helen Hayes' acting along with Dean Jagger's.  While I was watching the film, I remembered that Helen and Van Heflin would be sharing seats on an airplane 18 years later in AIRPORT. I wonder if they talked of Robert Walker and the making of MY SON JOHN between takes on that film.

I was truly brought into this film and sat at the edge of my seat many times.   The tricks they used to finish the film after Robert Walker's death near the finish of production only allowed the film to be more intense.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#47 of 197 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted August 25 2012 - 06:56 PM

Didn't read the article earlier because I didn't want to spoil the movie, but I had no idea that Robert Walker died during production. It certainly puts the last 30-40 minutes of the movie into a new light.

#48 of 197 OFFLINE   Lou Lumenick

Lou Lumenick

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted August 27 2012 - 11:19 AM

Henry King's ultra-rare THE COUNTRY DOCTOR (1936) with the Dionne Quintuplets and a couple of other rarities from the Fox Cinema Archives. http://www.classicfl...ics-p-4950.html

#49 of 197 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,176 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 27 2012 - 12:58 PM

Henry King's ultra-rare THE COUNTRY DOCTOR (1936) with the Dionne Quintuplets and a couple of other rarities from the Fox Cinema Archives.

http://www.classicfl...ics-p-4950.html

Lou:

Your link directs to Columbia's  Lord Jim @ classicflix.com.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#50 of 197 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,227 posts

Posted August 28 2012 - 02:26 AM

Correct: http://www.nypost.co...w95qx6G1EbpEKgK

#51 of 197 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,176 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 28 2012 - 03:17 AM

Thanks, Bob!

Lou:  You have sold me on The Country Doctor.

My mom was born in 1930 and has always referenced the Dionne Quints throughout my lifetime.  They were quite a big deal "back in the day."

I think this is something she would really like to see.  Thanks.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#52 of 197 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,176 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 28 2012 - 03:25 AM

And...thanks to Lou's column...I now know the word "lagniappe."  Posted Image

Posted Image

#53 of 197 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted August 28 2012 - 05:21 AM

The big draw for me in the Fox Cinema Archives are the 1930s rarities that probably wouldn't have ever gotten retail releases, and most of them appear to be recent transfers. Looking forward for a chance to see Country Doctor and Banjo on My Knee. Having seen Nancy Steele is Missing, I have to agree on the very unusual premise. It's a fairly similar role he plays in The Informer--an Irishman and and outsider. But this time around, he's sort of a pacifistic-extremist in the fact that he kidnaps the daughter of the munitions magnate for political reasons and is violent toward anyone who speaks of going to war. Him practically getting a jail sentence for his conscientious objector status as having "anarchist tendencies" and being portrayed as a victim of the system was also quite a bit ahead of its time. Sure, McLagelan's character becoming a surrogate father to the kidnapped girl later in the film is most unusual, being in essence a sympathetic kidnapper, is most unusual during the production code. Perhaps Joseph Breen had a soft spot for the Irish character and felt him spending most of his life behind bars was punishment enough. At any rate I though the film was quite good in spite of (or because of) its odd premise and the good performances all-around Peter Lorre is definitely a highlight, but what is more interesting it that the character of Mr. Moto appears being formulated in this movie. Outside of him being a criminal looking to make a fast buck in an intricate fraud scheme, as soon as he is out of prison, he dons the equivalent of the Moto glasses and disguises himself in a manner similar to Moto. It's not too much of a stretch considering his next film would be the screen debut of Mr. Moto assuming it wasn't already in production. Hopefully Fox can get his other Fox films out of the vaults, Crack-Up and Lancer Spy.

#54 of 197 OFFLINE   Lou Lumenick

Lou Lumenick

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted September 03 2012 - 03:47 AM

The sublime LONESOME (1928) and two other rare films from director Paul Fejos; the TCM Vault's UNIVERSAL RARIETIES including SOULS AT SEA (1937), MILLION DOLLAR LEGS (1932) http://www.nypost.co...BqjonlCtJwag7zM

#55 of 197 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,027 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 03 2012 - 05:22 AM

The sublime LONESOME (1928) and two other rare films from director Paul Fejos; the TCM Vault's UNIVERSAL RARIETIES including SOULS AT SEA (1937), MILLION DOLLAR LEGS (1932)
http://www.nypost.co...BqjonlCtJwag7zM

That's great news about Souls at Sea.  I have the region 2 release of it.  Warner is fast depleting what's left of Bogart's film library at Warner.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#56 of 197 OFFLINE   Lou Lumenick

Lou Lumenick

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted September 04 2012 - 02:07 AM

Reviewing Blake Edwards' HIGH TIME (1960) with Bing Crosby, Fabian from Twilight Time; and listing next week's wave of 15 Fox Cinema Archive titles, including Michael Gordon's I CAN GET IT FOR YOU WHOLESALE (1951) starring Susan Hayward, Dan Dailey, George Sanders and a raft of character actors. http://www.nypost.co...TkhFWkGPWNVsbzJ

#57 of 197 OFFLINE   Justin Ray

Justin Ray

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted September 11 2012 - 03:16 PM

Good evening, Mr. Lumenick, You seem to have a tremendous connection with the folks on the home video front. Can you tell me if the Fox Cinema Archive line plans to release A Message to Garcia and/or This is My Affair before the year's end? Thanks so much-- always look forward to your reviews :)

#58 of 197 OFFLINE   Lou Lumenick

Lou Lumenick

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted September 18 2012 - 06:52 AM

A review of THIS IS CINERAMA, looking surprisingly great on Blu-ray, and an exclusive look at October's Fox Cinema Archives releases: http://www.nypost.co...1k4C622ypHl9l1O

#59 of 197 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,573 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted September 18 2012 - 09:00 AM

A review of THIS IS CINERAMA, looking surprisingly great on Blu-ray, and an exclusive look at October's Fox Cinema Archives releases:
http://www.nypost.co...1k4C622ypHl9l1O

Hey, Lou,

Enjoyed your column as always. But wasn't The Greatest Story Ever Told shot in Ultra Panavision 70 (like Mad, Mad World) rather than Super Panavision 70 (like 2001)?

#60 of 197 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,841 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 18 2012 - 11:35 AM

A review of THIS IS CINERAMA, looking surprisingly great on Blu-ray, and an exclusive look at October's Fox Cinema Archives releases:
http://www.nypost.co...1k4C622ypHl9l1O

That is full of information.  I have already pre-ordered the Cinerama films from Flicker Alley, so thanks for your thoughts on both pictures.  I also hope that Fox finally gets the point on the OAR and anamorphic on their widescreen releases so I am looking forward to your post when you find out.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users