Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Marvel's GUARDIANS of the GALAXY: August 1, 2014

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
502 replies to this topic

#61 of 503 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,372 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted August 30 2013 - 06:52 PM

I was kind of hoping they'd go for a professional voice actor rather than a "name". His voice doesn't have the distinctiveness we associate with great voice acting. I look forward to be pleasantly surprised, though.

On the other hand, I have no worries whatsoever about Vin Diesel. He was terrific voicing the Iron Giant, and his voice IS distinctive.

#62 of 503 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 2,728 posts

Posted August 30 2013 - 08:43 PM

You know it's funny, when I read The Guardians of the Galaxy I had a certain type of voice in my head for Rocket, and Cooper actually fits my imagination pretty well.

I know some people were thinking cockney or gruff accents, but I always heard his voice in my head as more subdued.

I think it's good they aren't going with someone with a very distinctive voice. If they did that, then when you hear the character talk it's hard not to think of the actor "doing the voice". They already have a challenge to get audiences to accept the character just based on what he is, so using an obvious "distinctive voice" might make it tougher to buy into it. A least in my opinion.

They went with a name, yes. But he is also a talented actor who is good at serious stuff and comedy. I think it's a good choice.

Plus, Cooper isn't a stranger to doing "voices" ;)

My only problem is that he's too tall for Rocket. ;)
image.jpg
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#63 of 503 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 2,728 posts

Posted September 07 2013 - 09:27 AM

Interesting comments from Vin Diesel regarding his future with the MCU

http://www.superhero...-marvel-phase-3

A few weeks back, actor Vin Diesel revealed that his initial meetings with Marvel, which he teased often on his Facebook page, were initially about a new property that Marvel is hoping to launch in 2016. He says from there the talks turned to current roles and lead to his casting as Groot in the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy, but the talks with Marvel didn't stop there.

In an interview with Maria Menounos (via Bleeding Cool), Diesel says he and Marvel are still discussing the role for the mystery 2016 Phase 3 film .

"When I met with Marvel it wasn’t for anything immediate, it was to talk about a film that would be introduced in the Phase 3 part of Marvel, not for a few years. You wouldn’t be able to see it for a few years. In my mind, Marvel were doing it right, they were enrolling me at the ground level which is the best way to enroll me."

"I get the call, I go down to Marvel. A great meeting. It was even talking about something so big I can’t even talk about because it’s like the merging of brands in a way, which I won’t get into. That was something way, way, way, way, way down the road."

Though Diesel teased the meeting to no end on social media, he says he and Marvel agreed to not speak about specifics, and then Comic-Con happened.

"We had agreed not to say anything about the specifics of the meeting. So, now I’ve got the fans who I love more than I love the industry, than I love everybody… I was thinking “I’ve got to be real with them, I’ve got to tell them something” and yet I want to be respectful of people’s process and if people like to do a slow reveal, you know?""

"Quite frankly, it would have been too much to say and it might have been anticlimactic to say 'We’re working on something for 2016' and so I just said 'You’re going to hear some really big news' and I left at the end of that and it went crazy."

Diesel confirms that while he is still portraying Groot, his talks with Marvel about the 2016 project are still going on.

"The next Monday, Marvel talks to me and says “We’re going to send something over in two weeks. We want to focus on the 2016 but we also want to, if possible, answer this growing request for something now.” I don’t have six months to play a character in the immediate future, it’s all booked… there was no way I was going to be able to deliver… after Comic-Con, we were at a stalemate…"

These quotes bring up many different questions. What is the 2016 film that Marvel still wants Diesel to star in? What exactly does Diesel mean by "Merging of brands?" And when will we know for sure? Marvel currently has two untitled films slated for release in 2016, on May 6th and another on July 8th. What do you think they could be?

Interesting comment about the "merging of brands". My guess at this point is that Marvel is looking to build up its "Cosmic MCU" starting with Guardians of the Galaxy. It's the same universe, but it is kind of its own separate thing from the Earth-based heroes and Avengers stuff, thus a different "brand".

And the culmination of Phase 3 may be (as most speculate) involving Thanos, Avengers, and their Cosmic stuff (Guardians, Inhumans, Nova, Captain Marvel, etc..). So maybe that is what he is referring to.

I think that is more likely than hinting at bringing Spider-Man or X-Men into the fold.
  • Judisetic0856 likes this

#64 of 503 OFFLINE   Gipsy Danger

Gipsy Danger

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted September 13 2013 - 07:27 PM

Don't know anything about GOTG but really cant wait to see this.

• Judisetic0856 likes this

#65 of 503 ONLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,804 posts

Posted September 16 2013 - 06:48 AM

You know it's funny, when I read The Guardians of the Galaxy I had a certain type of voice in my head for Rocket, and Cooper actually fits my imagination pretty well.

I know some people were thinking cockney or gruff accents, but I always heard his voice in my head as more subdued.

But Rocket had a tough Australian accent, in the cartoon!   :)

Edited by Ejanss, September 16 2013 - 11:11 AM.

#66 of 503 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 2,728 posts

Posted September 16 2013 - 07:51 AM

Don't know anything about GOTG but really cant wait to see this.

Check out this brief article:

www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/HulkstaTheatre/news/?a=87116

Edited by Sean Bryan, September 16 2013 - 08:46 AM.

#67 of 503 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 2,728 posts

Posted October 12 2013 - 08:14 AM

It's a wrap!

image.jpg

http://www.comicbook...f/news/?a=88415

#68 of 503 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 2,728 posts

Posted December 22 2013 - 08:41 AM

image.jpg

http://marvel.com/ne...s_of_the_galaxy

Marvel had officially announced the casting of Vin Diesel for the voice of Groot.

#69 of 503 OFFLINE   michaeltrottar

michaeltrottar

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted December 23 2013 - 09:59 PM

Normally like all factors about Comedian films, but not sure about this one.  Just have difficulties with a Galaxian Idol team presenting a raccoon.

#70 of 503 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 2,728 posts

Posted February 17 2014 - 05:29 PM

The trailer is out tomorrow night on Jimmy Kimmel!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
  • Chuck Mayer likes this

#71 of 503 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 2,728 posts

Posted February 18 2014 - 09:10 AM

15 second teaser

Looks freak'n cool as shit.

Full trailer tonight on Jimmy Kimmel with Chris Prattimage.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

#72 of 503 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 2,728 posts

Posted February 18 2014 - 09:09 PM

Here we go!

I'm "hooked"!
  • Sam Posten likes this

#73 of 503 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,048 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted February 18 2014 - 11:08 PM

Yeah, I quite liked the trailer.  Very different

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#74 of 503 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,942 posts

Posted February 19 2014 - 05:07 AM

Looks like a lot of fun. It has a light-hearted nature that the Man of Steel/Dark Knight movies can't touch.

#75 of 503 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 2,728 posts

Posted February 19 2014 - 05:57 AM

This is basically the teaser trailer they showed at Comic Con in July with finished effects and a few new shots. I think it works really well as a teaser to give audiences an idea of the tone and look of the film (different from the typical Marvel offering) without really telling you any of the story.

I love the use of Hooked on a Feeling. My understanding is that there may be a good bit of "80's" music featured in the film through Peter Quill's Walkman and his "Awesome Mix" tape.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

#76 of 503 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

HTF Premium Member

• 3,293 posts

Posted February 19 2014 - 06:07 AM

I like the production design a lot, but this trailer left me surprisingly uninterested. Still going to see it.

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#77 of 503 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,512 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted February 19 2014 - 10:42 AM

Great look, super fun tone, great casting.  Marvel may have done it again!

It's going to be interesting to see how audiences react.  This trailer is a good start in that it introduces all the characters in a very basic manner.

Of course, they're NOT the Guardians yet when they're in that lineup...but, that won't matter come release time.

#78 of 503 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 2,728 posts

Posted February 19 2014 - 01:06 PM

Of course, they're NOT the Guardians yet when they're in that lineup...but, that won't matter come release time.

Yeah, I could be wrong but I suspect that the whole line up thing with the run down of the characters by JC Riley was done specifically for the trailer and may not be in the film (at least not in that exact form).

The reason being, as you said, I don't think the group is likely to be together yet and calling themselves The Guardians of the Galaxy when they are incarcerated. I could be wrong and the story structure completely different from what I think it will be. But that's a suspicion I have.

Also, the fact that the other Nova Corp officer said what a bunch of a-holes makes me suspicious that it was filmed specifically for the trailer. Just seems like he would have said assholes or something else if it was actually on the film. Again, I certainly could be wrong about that.

But I'd hate to loose Pratt's finger crank and obscene gesture alert. That was great.

#79 of 503 OFFLINE   SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,601 posts

Posted February 19 2014 - 09:04 PM

Really looking forward to this. I've been a Rocket Raccoon fan since discovering his original comic miniseries many years ago. It's a little scary what his first appearance is going for these days. (Thanks to the movie.)  I don't think I paid more than three bucks for it in the 90's. And it wasn't in The Incredible Hulk.  ;) 

#80 of 503 ONLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,804 posts

Posted February 20 2014 - 02:02 AM

Yeah, I could be wrong but I suspect that the whole line up thing with the run down of the characters by JC Riley was done specifically for the trailer and may not be in the film (at least not in that exact form).

Also, the fact that the other Nova Corp officer said what a bunch of a-holes makes me suspicious that it was filmed specifically for the trailer. Just seems like he would have said assholes or something else if it was actually on the film. Again, I certainly could be wrong about that.

It's almost identical (if more finished SFX footage) to the ComiCon trailer, where it was "assholes".  But they had to cut for green-band.

(Eh, me, I'm getting' too old for this (explosion!)...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users