What's new

*** Official "X-BOX" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
With the release of the console imminent, I have created the Official discussion thread for all things X-box, where owners can post full reviews of their brand new toy and others can put questions to the owners about Microsoft's new box of tricks.
Without warning, administrators have the right to close and/or delete subsequent threads related to X-Box hardware in this section of the Home Theatre Forum. It is asked that members refrain from childish Microsoft and X-Box bashing and let those happy with their purchase, and those considering the console, go about their business!
Thanks,
Dan (UK)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I'm still undecided as to what I am going to buy right now.
Gotta admit the XBOX is looking pretty good though.
If there is one game that has me hyped it's the game version of 'The Thing'!
This looks awesome - got shivers watching a demo and hearing the original soundtrack playing over the action!
Anyhow can't wait to hear other's thoughts on XBox - specifically if Halo is a system seller.
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
MyHTSetup

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
My opinions on the XB are well known, but I still want to know how Halo and DoA3 look and sound on a good HTF setup. If someone could post videos or pics from their own setups while playing that would be swell.

Rusty Ray

Second Unit
kinda hard to hold a digital camera while playing....
biggrin.gif

------------------
"As long as you are out there, I can never be number one...."
My DVD List

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
Question from a soon to be owner:
Do ANY of the launch games support 1080i???
This is important for me as I may need to buy a switch for my HDTV inputs. i have a spare component input but no HDTV inputs spare...

David_LM

Stunt Coordinator
If you are at Best Buy buying XBox games tonight or tomorrow you may want to ask the sales people if any other games are in the back. Dead or Alive 3 and Project Gotham Racing were not stocked in the XBox display yet at the store I went to tonight and you had to ask an employee to go in the back to get them. Someone at Best Buy told me Project Gotham Racing is awesome if you are into racing games. I look forward to a review of this game.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I hope everyone shopping tomorrow catches their fish. I'll certainly stop by the HTF to see the reactions to your new toys. It's gonna be fun.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Xbox sucks!!!!!!
wink.gif

Okay,now that that is out of the way...my store got in a new demo disc for the big box,and I am most impressed. More playable games,and better looking ones at that. I think that NFL Fever & Halo will be the 1st 2 games that I buy.
The only question is when do I buy it. I am seriously thinking of selling off some of my older games to get this - but as of yet, I am still undecided.
I do think I'll be working some crazy hours this holiday season,though,and just maybe Santa will be good to me :)
Until then, I hope you Xboxers post your impressions,thoughts, the whole nine.
(and will somebody rip some songs & put them into PGR?? I really want to know just how well that works!)
Have fun!!!!
Calvin
------------------
"Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."

SteveRS

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody found extended cables for Xbox controllers?
Better yet, any wireless controllers?

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I guess I'm the first on launch day to post about this.
First off, my store didn't have the Advanced AV cable, so no SVHS or DD for me tonight
frown.gif
. I'm sure I'll find it tomorrow somewhere. Also, the wife and kids are sleeping so no cranking the audio
frown.gif
First impressions:
Heavy
The new-electronics smell :)
DOA3 - whoever tells you that this is DOA2 but "prettier" doesn't know a damn thing about DOA3. It's an improvement over DOA2, but not just in graphics. First off, for me the controls seem MUCH more responsive than the PS2 version. Here's something that impressed the hell out of me. There's a level where you're fighting in snow. Not only do your footprints get embedded in the snow, but the imprint of your body when you fall on it. VERY impressive. I don't remember this in the PS2 version. The last boss is a bitch to beat. I think a little TOO hard.
Halo - Not until tomorrow. I'm saving it.
Project Gotham Racing - I wasn't too impressed by this initially. I was so blown away by Gran Tourismo 3 as soon as I put it in the PS2, but maybe this is a game that has to be unlocked in order for real tracks to be opened. The 4 you start with are way too easy.
NFL Fever - Again, tomorrow.
I wish I could spend more time with it, but I'm tired, it's late, and I don't want to do too much with it until I properly get it working with the Advanced AV cable that I hope to find tomorrow. I'll try ripping tracks, seeing what CDs play on it, if DVD-Rs play on it, and other little things.
Mike
------------------
Windows XP Resource
Listen to my radio station - Starman's Neverland
Link Removed

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
Gran Tourismo is total garbage. Im sorry, but it's COMPLETELY unrealistic, and it's not fun...so I don't know why anyone would play it. I look VERY forward to PGR as it's made by the same people that made Metropolis Street Racer for the dreamcast, a game with BETTER graphics than Gran Tourismo 3 and it's only S-Video!

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
I'm interested in hearing if there are any X-Box's on the shelves in any of the stores this afternoon... I'm much more likely to pick one up if my wife and I happen to be shopping, and there it is...
Or is it going to be like the first few months for the PS2?
------------------
View Dr. Grall's DVD collection

Leroy

Second Unit
I planned on going last night to my local 24 hour Wal-Mart(they were to start selling a midnight) but fell asleep on the couch. Called this morninga 6:30am and they were all gone
frown.gif

I'm now gonna hold off until either I sell my DC w/all it's games or see if I get one for Christmas/Birthday(they fall within a week of each other)
So much to buy, so little money.

Jamie Shimizu

Auditioning
Went to the Big Microsoft launch of the Xbox at Times Square last night. I got there at about 2:30am and walked right in! Only 1 person in line in front of me! Bought an Xbox from Mr Gates himself (only kidding- He was there though). Looked as if they had about 200 Xbox's left.
The official word from the Microsoft people there (there were about 100 of them), is that the HD AV pack won't be available for another 10 days.
Jamie

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Went to WalMart on my way home to just see how the line was....there was only 5 people waiting and they got 34 units. Asked the manager if they take temporary checks and she said no, so I ran to my bank, which was closing as I got there begged and pledded and talked this very nice woman into letting me cash a check, so that to me was a sign that i was destined to get an Xbox that night! Got back to WalMart, line hadn't grown, another sign! Waited in line.......about 9:30pm shit hits the fan! There starts to be a rush of people from the city trying to force their way into the line, managers come out and start making them leave. The managers then came out and started handing out numbers, I was number 6. From what I saw there was an argument from number 30 to the last number 34, security got called in.....after they made people leave it calmed down a lot until 11:55!!! Thats when they brought the Xboxes out, everyone was excited, and at 12:01 we pounced on those 'Boxen and I took one home to my sick fiance along with her very own copy of DOA3, I got my self Halo. I plan to write a comparison between the Xbox and the GameCube tonight after I play more Xbox.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Gran Tourismo is total garbage. Im sorry, but it's COMPLETELY unrealistic, and it's not fun...so I don't know why anyone would play it. I look VERY forward to PGR as it's made by the same people that made Metropolis Street Racer for the dreamcast, a game with BETTER graphics than Gran Tourismo 3 and it's only S-Video!
Are you in some sort of competition with Morgan?

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Yeah, but Metropolis Street Racer is so realistic!
rolleyes.gif

I've played the hell out of both of them, and they are both great racing games, but I have to go with Turismo as the better.
-Dean-
------------------
My HT Equipment
"I've seen you and you are not cool."

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
God I'm weak!
Went to the nearby Walmart on my coffee break and lo and behold there it was - 1 lonely looking XBox sitting in the display case.
Needless to say I felt very sorry for it and decided to take it home!
biggrin.gif

Found out from the clerk they had received about 30 of them and I had gotten number 20. She said there were 10 more out back. Course, by that time a strong bond had already formed between me and XBox. Home she goes.
There were no copies of Halo or the High Def AV cables so I'll have to go to FutureShop at lunch to pick those up.
Yippee!
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
MyHTSetup

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks