-

Photo
- - - - -

Newb question, car crashes great/dialogue, not so much..

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Gregoire

Gregoire

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted July 14 2012 - 08:18 AM

I've rescued (from my attic) my "vintage" Kenwood htib model VR-615. It's an old 5.1 system which makes action scenes VERY dynamic, but I find myself straining to understand the dialogue. I couldn't find the remote, but I've played around with the settings but no real inprovement. What causes this? Is it lack of mids? Is this what causes "listening fatigue"? (because it sounds great for about 1 hour then I'm ready for tv speakers again). Thanks, Greg

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

Executive Producer

• 13,881 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted July 14 2012 - 08:42 AM

It "could be" that you have loudness pushed? (loudness is really a midrange mute) It could also be the EQ is set-up in the "smiley face" curve(which in effect, causes "loudness") There is one for sale on Ebay with the remote. If you get this one sorted, those are nice for music listening as it does have tos-link and dig-coax. The only "bad" thing, it is from the day that receivers themselves powered subwoofers. So, your only "current choice" is to buy a subwoofer meant for a car...which that works out well anyway. Also, you are lucky that it has the "DVD/6 channel" input. That means, if you buy a current receiver with Zone 2 pre-outs, you can use this to power the 2nd zone.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted July 14 2012 - 08:45 AM

I doubt it allows you to adjust each speaker's decibel level, like a real A/V receiver, correct? If not, that's your problem, and there's no way to fix it. You would need to buy an A/V receiver.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,706 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted July 14 2012 - 09:06 AM

Actually, he can set the individual speaker volumes, and distances as well as speaker sizes (Large or Normal) but not crossover. No EQ though. So try adjusting the speaker volumes and see if that helps. You should also adjust that other stuff if you haven't already. See pg 17 http://manual.kenwoo...B60-5197-20.pdf
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Gregoire

Gregoire

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted July 14 2012 - 09:51 AM

Thanks for the link to the manual, Gene C, I'm diving into it now. I don't have a loudness control, or appear to have any crossover control. I tried changing the receiver settings to "large speakers" but it sounded exactly the same. Doesn't have any EQ either (that I can find). It does "sound" like there is a gap in the audio spectrum that human speech lives in. Or maybe the lows are excessive (almost sub-harmonic) and the highs are boosted, overwhelming the mids.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

Executive Producer

• 13,881 posts

Posted July 14 2012 - 09:54 AM

What speakers? If the original, wires could have fallen off inside(common occurrence in early HTiB).

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

Executive Producer

• 13,881 posts

Posted July 14 2012 - 10:01 AM

Just looked. Loudness, bass boost and the tone control are all REMOTE ONLY...oh boy... A quick thing to try. Have no idea what you are connecting, but if it is analog, try connecting it to the RL of the 6 channel input. On almost all receivers that have one, the 6 channel bypasses all tone controls. If you do that and it sounds "normal"...then you need the remote.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted July 14 2012 - 03:08 PM

Greg, your problem has nothing to do with tone control, loudness control, bass boost, or anything else mentioned. You have to be able to adjust each speaker's decibel level. Your problem is the center channel speaker is not loud enough. Or the other speakers are too loud, take your pick.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Gregoire

Gregoire

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted July 16 2012 - 06:42 AM

Thanks for the replies. I read through the manual. There is room for adjustments. I am using all original speakers.

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

Executive Producer

• 13,881 posts

Posted July 16 2012 - 08:02 AM

Like I alluded to before. HTiB speakers aren't the greatest. It would be worth your time to pull out the woofer in each speaker and make sure the internal wiring hasn't fallen off anything inside. The only reason for the woofer is so you have enough room for your hands inside the box. I once bought a pair of Polk S8 at a garage sale that had a tag "not working". All that was wrong, in one the tweeter negative had fallen off and the other had a screw loose in the passive radiator created a buzz. Took less than 5 minutes to correct both problems. Got the speakers for $2. (it also helps to know Polk "big box chain store" speakers tend to have crappy wiring connections)

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Gregoire

Gregoire

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted July 16 2012 - 02:32 PM

All 5 of these speaker boxes contain a single 2 inch driver wired to huge capacitor (I think) they all sound the same. When I tried to read the instructions, my eyes glazed over. I guess it's time for some critical experimentation with these settings...

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

Executive Producer

• 13,881 posts

Posted July 16 2012 - 02:56 PM

A 2" driver isn't going to do anything resembling "accurate sound"... Do you have a pair of better speakers to hook up in the short term?