Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Absolute Beginners! Am I the only one?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   ijthompson

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator

• 154 posts

Posted July 13 2012 - 07:17 PM

Okay, I'm ready to take a beatin'. 'London's answer to West Side Story' pretty much turned out to be London's answer to Plan 9 from Outer Space, but dammit, I love this movie, and I've watched it at least once a year since the VHS days. Is there another human being in the world who'd like to have this on blu? I mean... David Bowie! Sade! Ray Davies! And who could forget that opening shot, which got raved about (and then cruelly mocked) in The Player? Maybe there's a rights issue I'm not aware of. Or, maybe (say it ain't so!), the interest just isn't there. But I'd be first in line to buy this film in HD. And just the fact that you can't find a SINGLE interview with ANYBODY on the internet about this film tells me there's a really interesting documentary to be had, there! :D Anybody else want this film?

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,367 posts

Posted July 14 2012 - 05:30 AM

Sure, I'd go for it. It's not a bust by any means.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Matt Stieg

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator

• 228 posts

Posted July 14 2012 - 12:31 PM

Those colors sure would leap off the screen.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Eric Vedowski

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit

• 319 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted July 14 2012 - 01:50 PM

I saw it first run and really liked it. The opening number was great. I've always wondered why it wasn't held in higher esteem. It's not great but it's miles ahead of other things of that era. Oldies.com had the dvd for 2.99 for a long time. I just checked 1.98! Place your orders. I am going to spin the laser disc tonight-I'll report back.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 910 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted July 14 2012 - 03:47 PM

I really liked this movie. It is an interesting recalling of a point in time where England lifted out of the post-war doldrums just before swinging London. Being young then made the world look bright, fresh and new. The dance numbers are fantastic and really move with energy. The streets look electric and suddenly everything comes to life. This should be a classic. Let's have it on Blu-ray!

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Mark_TB

Mark_TB

Second Unit

• 347 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska

Posted July 14 2012 - 08:35 PM

I would buy a blu-ray release. Used to have it on VHS, but I haven't seen the movie in probably fifteen years. Funny this should come up now, since I was reminded of it a few weeks back while listening to the Bowie title song, and decided to break down and buy the DVD. That usually means a BD announcement is imminent. :D - Mark

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   ijthompson

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator

• 154 posts

Posted July 15 2012 - 04:56 PM

decided to break down and buy the DVD. That usually means a BD announcement is imminent. :D - Mark
I hope you're right! Although the plot meanders (it did in the novel, as well), there's a lot to love in this film! :)

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Sandy Lustig

Sandy Lustig

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted August 13 2013 - 06:31 AM

Yes I would love to get this on Blu Ray, but most important in WIDE SCREEN.

All the dance numbers were ruined.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 2,452 posts

Posted August 13 2013 - 08:50 AM

I hope you're right! Although the plot meanders (it did in the novel, as well), there's a lot to love in this film! :)

Not sure whether this was actually a UK stage musical first, but it's got that quality--

Didn't realize they hated it so much over there  ( :blink: ); over here, it'd pretty much confused the heck out of US audiences who had never heard of postwar London, pop agents or Teddy-boys, and came and went in obscurity, but the colors and one-shot opening got Julian Temple his first film recognition outside of MTV.

At the time, everyone here just (briefly) remembered it for the promotional MTV video--parodying the old 50's cigarette ad--getting the opening David Bowie theme stuck in your head.  (Ba-ba-ba-oooo...)

Edited by Ejanss, August 13 2013 - 09:01 AM.

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,041 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 13 2013 - 08:51 AM

I'd buy it, i love the title song too.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,367 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 11:17 AM

The US DVD is widescreen, but could use an upgrade.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   babsdude

babsdude

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted August 19 2013 - 12:43 PM

Loved this movie, but haven't seen it since the 80s.  That long uninterrupted opening shot is to die for.  And I'm a huge fan of Sade and "Killer Blow" -- that scene in the speakeasy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users