What's new

Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection on Blu-ray. Which one? (1 Viewer)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Can anyone confirm whether the UK version of the Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection will be Region-Free, because it's clearly a classier looking set and a better deal than the domestic version. ($132 USDOLLARS vs. $224). And who doesn't have North By Northwest on BD already (the only BD missing from the UK set).
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alfred-Hitchcock-Masterpiece-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B008D1TNCE/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1342188483&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/Alfred-Hitchcock-Masterpiece-Collection-Limited/dp/B008DCAG9M/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1342188529&sr=1-1&keywords=alfred+hitchcock+masterpiece+collection+blu+ray

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I guess no one can know for sure until the set is actually available but the consensus is that it will be.
It was discussed here http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/321703/ushe-announcement-alfred-hitchcock-the-masterpiece-collection-blu-ray/60 starting around post 75 and on to the next page.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Thanks, I hadn't seen that thread. But that was my concern. I pre-ordered the UK version but noted that it doesn't have the Region-coding yet on the product page. And it seems such an obvious bargain compared to the US set, that maybe Universal decides to lock that version to drive sales back to the pricier U.S. version.
But I posted this on the bargain thread because that's what we're talking about here when comparing the price of the two sets.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I agree that the UK set looks really cool, but some folks just don;'t like nonstandard sets and this sucker looks like it will needs
its own shelf to display. I'm OK with it and particularly the $100 savings and I definitely already have NBNW.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Are these new remasterings, or simply ported from the 2005 Masterpiece Collection on DVD?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Edit: Never mind. I see this is an older thread that has been bumped and my comment wasn't needed.

David_MSP

Stunt Coordinator
There is another UK version, listed as region-free, that I have ordered and I think many folks might be interested in. It also doesn't contain North by Northwest. For whatever reason, this version has been staying under the radar. The way I see it, it's a hybrid of both the US and UK versions.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alfred-Hitchcock-Masterpiece-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B008RLD1VY/ref=pd_cp_d_h__1

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hollywoodaholic said:
Interesting. It's probably just a choice of that packaging, since the content seems the same. But the other packaging Masterpiece Collection blu-ray is also now listed as "Region-Free" so I went ahead and ordered that version (though I noticed the price went up from 86 to 100 Pounds).
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alfred-Hitchcock-Masterpiece-Collection-Limited/dp/B008D1TNCE/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1346015893&sr=1-1
Actual that price hasn't moved for several months though the standard packaging is £3 cheaper. Assuming you are in the US once you order, the 17% VAT is dropped, then add shipping should get you to the £86 number ($125 at present exchange).
The North By NW issue is an odd duck. NBNW is a Warner property, but apparently as I understand it WarnerUS and UniversalUS made a deal so that Univeral could put NBNW in its US Hitchcock Box in exchange for Warner being allowed to use Universal's Spartacus in the US Kubrick boxset. Not sure what was exchanged so that Sony's Dr Strangelove could be in the US set, but not the UK.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Right, the price goes from 100 Pounds to 86 when you actually order and the VAT is removed. Sorry for reporting the UK retail price had changed.
But I still prefer the classier UK packaging, even though it is not convenient for the bookshelf. Hitchcock deserves more space, imo. And since the box set is missing several other key Hitchcock films like Strangers On a Train, the missing North By Northwest isn't an issue, especially since we all (Hitchcock fans) have that digibook release already.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Hollywoodaholic said:
Right, the price goes from 100 Pounds to 86 when you actually order and the VAT is removed. Sorry for reporting the UK retail price had changed.
But I still prefer the classier UK packaging, even though it is not convenient for the bookshelf. Hitchcock deserves more space, imo. And since the box set is missing several other key Hitchcock films like Strangers On a Train, the missing North By Northwest isn't an issue, especially since we all (Hitchcock fans) have that digibook release already.
Let me get this straight: the price on the product page already includes the VAT? And it is removed when checking out? I've ordered from Amazon UK, but not often. I'm in the US.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Johnny Angell said:
Let me get this straight: the price on the product page already includes the VAT? And it is removed when checking out? I've ordered from Amazon UK, but not often. I'm in the US.
Yes that is correct. VAT is considered part of the price of the item and is only paid by citizens where the item is consumed. Non-citizen, no VAT
It's the opposite of sales tax in the US which is added after the fact

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So I just ordered the Hitchcock Collection in the smaller box and the Monster collection in the coffin. I've ordered from A.UK before and I thought they converted the pounds to dollars when the order was placed. That hasn't happened. Did I mis-remember or am I missing something?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Johnny Angell said:
So I just ordered the Hitchcock Collection in the smaller box and the Monster collection in the coffin. I've ordered from A.UK before and I thought they converted the pounds to dollars when the order was placed. That hasn't happened. Did I mis-remember or am I missing something?
They will convert if it can be shipped. Since these are preorders, they don;t know the exchange rate yet so they can't convert.
In any case you are usually better off not letting Amazon convert for you since they usually add approx around a 4% premium for the convenience vs most CC 3%.
Better yet, it you have a Cap One or one of the other Currency free cards it will be significantly less.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell /t/322243/alfred-hitchcock-masterpiece-collection-on-blu-ray-which-one#post_3968587
At times, I've seen the convert application go down on Amazon UK. when placing an order.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I've just ordered the Hitchcock in the bigger collectors' box and the Monsters in the regular non-coffin box.
I am wondering though whether the regular-packaged collector's box for Hitchcock might be the way to go .. it would be great if there was some sort of definitive explanation of just what was in the regular packaging!

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
David Norman said:
They will convert if it can be shipped. Since these are preorders, they don;t know the exchange rate yet so they can't convert.
In any case you are usually better off not letting Amazon convert for you since they usually add approx around a 4% premium for the convenience vs most CC 3%.
Better yet, it you have a Cap One or one of the other Currency free cards it will be significantly less.
How can I not let Amazon do the conversion? I am using my usual CC bit it is not one pf the cards you mention.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Johnny Angell said:
How can I not let Amazon do the conversion? I am using my usual CC bit it is not one pf the cards you mention.
In the account settings under payment methods, there should be an option for "Turn On/Turn Off Currency Converter." I know this works for standard orders, but there;s also the option at
the checkout screen where it prompts you to Pay in GBP or USD. For Preorders, I know you don't get that option, but I don't know what happens after shipping if you don;t turn the
Converter off.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
The Blu-Ray of ALFRED HITCHCOCK'S MASTERPIECE COLLECTION has been delayed until October 30th, due to quality control issues. Apparently, the check discs revealed some imperfections.
Meanwhile, the new restored THE BIRDS will screen in select theaters this coming Wednesday, Sept. 19th, along with a Robert Osborne/Tippi Hedren interview.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jobla said:
The Blu-Ray of ALFRED HITCHCOCK'S MASTERPIECE COLLECTION has been delayed until October 30th, due to quality control issues. Apparently, the check discs revealed some imperfections.
Meanwhile, the new restored THE BIRDS will screen in select theaters this coming Wednesday, Sept. 19th, along with a Robert Osborne/Tippi Hedren interview.
Well, so far only the US set has been officially delayed, but I think everyone expects the UK set to follow soon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks