-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines... -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 of 65 Mark Oates

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted July 25 2012 - 05:46 AM

Even if they're not calibrated (heresy!!), they'd probably give you a better idea of the look of the disc on your system. A lot of medium-to-high end laptops also have HDMI outputs, which may give even better results as these "SmartTV" sets aren't as smart as the manufacturers make out.
J Mark Oates
Do Not Be Afraid. That sound is simply my mind boggling.

#62 of 65 DP 70

DP 70

Second Unit

• 378 posts

Posted August 11 2012 - 08:36 AM

I have just watched this and the picture is lovely, the only thing i noticed there was no directional dialog as i am sure was in the 4- track ,6-track and even the DTS Special Venue print i saw at Bradford in 2007, but still a great blu ray.

#63 of 65 john a hunter

john a hunter

Supporting Actor

• 613 posts

Posted August 11 2012 - 12:20 PM

The loss of directional dialogue is a shame and I wonder why. In any case,as you said, a great disc overall.

#64 of 65 Techman707

Techman707

Second Unit

• 268 posts

Posted July 07 2013 - 11:33 AM

I read this was a 2K scan, it's shot in Todd-AO and 65mm so the question is would an 8K scan have yielded better results and negated the need for any sharpening at all, why on earth didn't they scan at a minimum 4K. ?

I was all ready to purchase this disc until I read your post that it's a 2K scan.  Now I'm wondering about purchasing this and other fox films that I already have on DVD.  I was aware that some years back they transferred a large number of older films as 2K scans, which they referred to at that time as "High Definition".  They used those 2K scan to also make the DVDs at that time.  I have the feeling that they might be using those same 2K transfers for current Blu-rays.  They look excellent on DVD, however, I have found that when they use these same transfers for Blu-ray, they don't appear much better than the original DVDs.  If that's the case, I can live without them. 

#65 of 65 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,562 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 07 2013 - 12:51 PM

I was all ready to purchase this disc until I read your post that it's a 2K scan.  Now I'm wondering about purchasing this and other fox films that I already have on DVD.  I was aware that some years back they transferred a large number of older films as 2K scans, which they referred to at that time as "High Definition".  They used those 2K scan to also make the DVDs at that time.  I have the feeling that they might be using those same 2K transfers for current Blu-rays.  They look excellent on DVD, however, I have found that when they use these same transfers for Blu-ray, they don't appear much better than the original DVDs.  If that's the case, I can live without them. 

It should be better, if nothing else the blu ray encode won't have artifacts and DVD's often have considerably more sharpening applied, go back to page 1 and read the comments from Mr Harris and remember your screen size will play a part in whether you think it's better or not.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users