What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines... -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I vividly recall seeing Those Magnificent Men... in its 70mm run in Manhattan, and while I appreciated the old hand-cranked look, placing the legendary Red Skelton into the medium shots of archaic failing flying machines, I will never forget that moment, when the scene opens wide and the film's full 70mm proportions were revealed.

That thrill still survives, albeit in miniaturized form, view Twilight Times new Blu-ray of director Ken Annakin's 1965 early flying epic.

Nationalism and hijinks reign supreme in this film, with composer Ron Goodwin's score leading a fun charge of characters. Photographed by the wonderful Christopher Challis in 65mm, with imagery that was sharp as a tack.

The film was edited by the legendary Anne V. Coates, who had worked with a large format productions in the past.

How does Twilight Times Blu-ray look?

Generally beautiful.

While it doesn't appear to be a full resolution scan, the final result on Blu-ray is extremely pleasing. A bit of sharpening is evident in some long shots where objects of opposing contrast meet, but one really has to look for the problem, which is very, very minor.

I'm personally thrilled with this release, which works as a large format production on Blu-ray.

Image - 4

Audio - 4.5

Recommended.

RAH

Reactions: PMF

Lidenbrock

Agent
Real Name
Albert GC
Robert Harris said:
, I will never forget that moment, when the scene opens wide and the film's full 70mm proportions were revealed.
I love that change in aspect ratio (especially on a big 2.35 screen), also found in Superman and Around the world in 80 days.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Lidenbrock said:
I love that change in aspect ratio (especially on a big 2.35 screen), also found in Superman and Around the world in 80 days.
There's a similar "wow" moment in Star! when seen in Todd AO on a giant screen. When they go from B&W monaural newsreel footage to live 6-Track 70mm color during the opening shot of the "Jenny" number, the effect is staggering.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Rob_Ray /t/322170/a-few-words-about-those-magnificent-men-in-their-flying-machines-in-blu-ray#post_3947145
There's a similar "wow" moment in Star! when seen in Todd AO on a giant screen. When they go from B&W monaural newsreel footage to live 6-Track 70mm color during the opening shot of the "Jenny" number, the effect is staggering.

You're right! It's tremendously effective, among the best moments in the movie.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
MattH. said:
You're right! It's tremendously effective, among the best moments in the movie.
Although it's ruined on the DVD - in which the sound is remixed into oblivion without regard to the original surround.
These days when you go to see a widescreen movie, you walk into an already exposed, roughly 1.66 screen, running commercials like a big TV set - and when the feature begins, down comes the top-masking, and yes, the picture gets smaller! Like a letterboxed movie at home. Since most plex screens today are closer to TV screen shape, that's exactly the effect they have.
Now back on topic: does this release have all the supplements that were on the laserdisc? How does it handle the navigation, menu and roadshow elements?

John Skoda

Second Unit
NY2LA said:
Now back on topic: does this release have all the supplements that were on the laserdisc?
No, the blu-ray has a trailer, a teaser trailer, and a couple of TV spots, plus the commentary.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/322170/a-few-words-about-those-magnificent-men-in-their-flying-machines-in-blu-ray#post_3947064
A bit of sharpening is evident in some long shots where objects of opposing contrast meet, but one really has to look for the problem, which is very, very minor.

RAH

I read this was a 2K scan, it's shot in Todd-AO and 65mm so the question is would an 8K scan have yielded better results and negated the need for any sharpening at all, why on earth didn't they scan at a minimum 4K. ?

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
What does the menu look (and sound) like and how do they handle the Overture, Intermission, etc?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/322170/a-few-words-about-those-magnificent-men-in-their-flying-machines-in-blu-ray#post_3947624
What does the menu look (and sound) like and how do they handle the Overture, Intermission, etc?
The menu is just a still picture from the advertising, no sound. The film did not have an Overture in the theatres so there is not one. The Intermission is located at the end of Chapter 7 and shows the complete animated Intermission clip and the Entr'acte music is complete and is played over a black screen. Chapter 8 starts of with the first image after the Intermission. No Exit music, but the cast listing and other technician credits is shown over a reprise of the wonderful theme song.

This is bare bones except for the trailer, teaser and TV spots. It does have an Isolated Score of the great Ron Goodwin music and the Audio Commentary by the late Ken Annakin. The Chapter listing is just a run down of stills from the beginning of each chapter.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /t/322170/a-few-words-about-those-magnificent-men-in-their-flying-machines-in-blu-ray#post_3947616

I read this was a 2K scan, it's shot in Todd-AO and 65mm so the question is would an 8K scan have yielded better results and negated the need for any sharpening at all, why on earth didn't they scan at a minimum 4K. ?

Everything probably comes down to cost, and need. With a presumably unfaded OCN, and tested masters, there are other arenas where investment might go.

RAH

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Mine arrived today here in Sydney. Picture quality excellent- the best Twilight time release by far. Deeps blacks, nice and sharp with plenty of pop! As good as Cleo although I haven't seen it all yet of course. Sound nice and beefy but dialogue centralised too much.
If you are thinking about it and been put off by some other posts, don't. You'll be very happy.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
This was always a favorite when I was a kid, anytime it would show up on TV. I may have to spring for this one!
Galaxy Quest also did the aspect ratio change, twice. It starts out in the 4x3 TV ratio, at the opening of the film, showing the clip from the TV show. Then opens up to 1.85:1 for the scenes at the convention. Once he gets taken into space, it opened up to 2.35:1. On the video they only did the one change from 4x3 to 2.35:1 in the convention.
Doug

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Douglas Monce said:
This was always a favorite when I was a kid, anytime it would show up on TV. I may have to spring for this one!
Galaxy Quest also did the aspect ratio change, twice. It starts out in the 4x3 TV ratio, at the opening of the film, showing the clip from the TV show. Then opens up to 1.85:1 for the scenes at the convention. Once he gets taken into space, it opened up to 2.35:1. On the video they only did the one change from 4x3 to 2.35:1 in the convention.
Doug
I noticed the 1.33 to 1.85 switch, but I never caught the change to 'scope ratio. I think I'm usually too caught up into the flick by that time to see it. I'll have to watch for it the next time I put it in the player.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Just found a copy of the Roadshow Souvenir Program Book. Great Blu-ray transfer, great souvenir book, now I am a happy camper.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
ahollis said:
Just found a copy of the Roadshow Souvenir Program Book.  Great Blu-ray transfer, great souvenir book, now I am a happy camper. 
How exactly are the roadshow elements handled? titled, still photo or black? Do they run the Entr'Acte over the intermission title (I HATE that) or give you enough of a chance to hit the pause button and have a real one?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/322170/a-few-words-about-those-magnificent-men-in-their-flying-machines-in-blu-ray#post_3949219
How exactly are the roadshow elements handled? titled, still photo or black? Do they run the Entr'Acte over the intermission title (I HATE that)?
Entr'Acte music played over a black screen.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Originally Posted by ahollis /t/322170/a-few-words-about-those-magnificent-men-in-their-flying-machines-in-blu-ray#post_3949202
Just found a copy of the Roadshow Souvenir Program Book. Great Blu-ray transfer, great souvenir book, now I am a happy camper.

I was pretty sure I hadn't seen this in in roadshow, and this almost clinches it. I don't remember ever seeing a copy, or having one. I did have the LP back then, and played it to death.

Real Name
Alan Paterson
It was a real pleasure to watch 'Those Magnificent Men...' tonight. The image quality just made me want to smile and the surround audio was fun too. I wish every film looked this good. It's a fun movie with great actors and comedians from the 60's. There'll never be another complete bounder and cad like Terry Thomas. I remember hearing they wanted Dick Van Dyke for the Orvil role that Stuart Whitman played. If they'd got their wish, there would have been more charm and humour to this character. Apparently Stuart Whitman made a pass at Sarah Miles during production, so she then refused to appear in the same scene as him. Many of their on screen conversations were shot as 'two shots' using a stand in to read the other's lines. It doesn't show in the end product.
Nice one.
Alan

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by AlanPaterson /t/322170/a-few-words-about-those-magnificent-men-in-their-flying-machines-in-blu-ray#post_3949306
It was a real pleasure to watch 'Those Magnificent Men...' tonight. The image quality just made me want to smile and the surround audio was fun too. I wish every film looked this good. It's a fun movie with great actors and comedians from the 60's. There'll never be another complete bounder and cad like Terry Thomas. I remember hearing they wanted Dick Van Dyke for the Orvil role that Stuart Whitman played. If they'd got their wish, there would have been more charm and humour to this character. Apparently Stuart Whitman made a pass at Sarah Miles during production, so she then refused to appear in the same scene as him. Many of their on screen conversations were shot as 'two shots' using a stand in to read the other's lines. It doesn't show in the end product.
Nice one.
Alan

Yes, these anecdotes are in the audio commentary by the director.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks