Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines Blu-ray Review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 of 41 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,800 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 10 2012 - 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by iDarren 

I have heard a few complaints that the image is a little to dark and detail is lost in some scenes.

I have no complaints at all.  I did not find the image dark nor was any detail lost.  I did read that that this is 2009 HD transfer from 65mm elements.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#22 of 41 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted July 10 2012 - 04:49 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Of course the picture looks fine.

Though the blacks are a bit dark - as you can see (from the screen shot at Blu-ray .com) the area above Stuart Whitman's head turns into a black mass, the image below has been lighted to reveal some more information - but not much.  A 70MM presentation should have more information shouldn't it?  I don't know?

#23 of 41 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,887 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted July 10 2012 - 04:55 AM

Wondering about the chances of a double pack with this and Mad mad. I need both. :P
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#24 of 41 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted July 10 2012 - 04:58 AM

you can see in the lighten version what's inside the doorway while the top image (unlighted) looks like it was shot through smoked glass - maybe it was, I'm not qualified to say how the film was shot, but it does look like the scene was filmed during the day in natural light

Of course lightening the image takes away from the other elements and washes out the color and the blacks are too light - so maybe you can't have both ways. I was wondering if there was a compromise in the transfer process that's all

anyway - it's just a minor point

#25 of 41 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted July 10 2012 - 05:07 AM

#26 of 41 OFFLINE   Doctorossi

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor

• 834 posts

Posted July 10 2012 - 05:25 AM

Of course lightening the image takes away from the other elements and washes out the color and the blacks are too light - so maybe you can't have both ways.

That certain detail may be present in the exposure does not necessarily mean that it was meant to be seen.

#27 of 41 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted July 10 2012 - 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Doctorossi 

That certain detail may be present in the exposure does not necessarily mean that it was meant to be seen.

You may be right

#28 of 41 OFFLINE   Virgoan

Virgoan

Second Unit

• 318 posts
  • LocationOakland CA

Posted July 10 2012 - 05:44 AM

Those screen caps do not, in any way, approximate the quality of the picture I see when I watch the movie. One is too dark, one is too light. My picture quality is clear, bright and sharp as a tack.

#29 of 41 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,800 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 10 2012 - 09:23 AM

I have to agree with Virgoan on this.  Those caps do not look anything like what I am seeing, which is more or less in the middle between the two caps.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#30 of 41 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted July 10 2012 - 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by ahollis 

I have to agree with Virgoan on this.  Those caps do not look anything like what I am seeing, which is more or less in the middle between the two caps.

Well, this is good to hear.

#31 of 41 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,339 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 10 2012 - 03:50 PM

Well, that's caps for you. The people at that site swear by them, of course, and judge everything ONLY based on them. There is nothing dark in this transfer. You can lighten anything, so what? And the people at blu-ray.com are the weirdest anywhere - I don't know that the majority ever actually purchase a disc - they're much more content to criticize based on screen caps. MattH's review is right on the money and it's nice to see a review written by someone not trying to play all sides of the road, wherein the reviewers say things like "IF DNR was applied it wasn't with a heavy hand" or just equivocating all over the place, trying to hedge their bets in case the transfer comes in for criticism. It doesn't get much better than this transfer.

#32 of 41 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,474 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 11 2012 - 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by haineshisway 

MattH's review is right on the money and it's nice to see a review written by someone not trying to play all sides of the road, wherein the reviewers say things like "IF DNR was applied it wasn't with a heavy hand" or just equivocating all over the place, trying to hedge their bets in case the transfer comes in for criticism. It doesn't get much better than this transfer.

Thank you, Bruce. I was very impressed with every aspect of the visual presentation. I should have mentioned this in the review, but when I saw James Fox's brilliantly red military jacket tied with a red sash-like belt that was a different shade of red, and both shades co-existing nicely with one another and not bleeding or blending together, I knew I was looking at a masterful transfer. It was also so clean that one would never suspect this film came out almost half a century ago.

#33 of 41 OFFLINE   TheVid

TheVid

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted July 11 2012 - 02:13 AM

This blu-ray is definitely MAGNIFICENT! After THE EGYPTIAN, this is my favorite Twilight Time title so far, although BYE BYE BIRDIE is going to give it a run for its money. I haven't watched COVER GIRL yet, but no doubt that's going to be a Technicolor tour de force! I'm waiting for my import blu-ray version of FUNNY FACE and having a double feature. It's been a great summer so far for Twilight Time afficionados!

#34 of 41 OFFLINE   iDarren

iDarren

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted June 05 2013 - 12:22 PM

I finally watched this.  It seems a bit dark to me.  I particularly noticed that the whites were quite murky.

Did anybody else observe the bad video glitch at 1.26.27 on their disk?  The image breaks up for a second.

#35 of 41 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,800 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 05 2013 - 08:42 PM

Did not see the video glitch.

#36 of 41 OFFLINE   iDarren

iDarren

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted July 01 2013 - 03:01 AM

Did not see the video glitch.

It's there, I have confirmed it with other viewers (via their own disks).

#37 of 41 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,800 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 01 2013 - 07:16 PM

It's there, I have confirmed it with other viewers (via their own disks).

Just looked at the time code you gave and do not see any glitch. Went back to 1:25 and watched to 1:28 and still did not see a glitch.

#38 of 41 OFFLINE   iDarren

iDarren

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted July 06 2013 - 09:54 AM

Just looked at the time code you gave and do not see any glitch. Went back to 1:25 and watched to 1:28 and still did not see a glitch.

It is def there.  At least 2 other disk owners have spotted it. 

It is at the party,  just as the character walks past/behind the wooden column.

#39 of 41 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,800 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 06 2013 - 02:41 PM

It is def there. At least 2 other disk owners have spotted it.

It is at the party, just as the character walks past/behind the wooden column.

I know the last night party with press. I don't see it. For you it's there, for me it's not. Not much else to say.

#40 of 41 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,242 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted July 06 2013 - 04:00 PM

Found it.  

Pause the film at 1:26:26 and move frame by frame till it changes to 1:26:27.  Now move 14 frames, and there's one that's totally pixellated.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users