Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: House of Dark Shadows and Night of Dark Shadows (Blu-ray)

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 of 77 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,255 posts

Posted July 09 2012 - 01:30 AM

HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS

THE ORIGINAL FILM BASED ON THE POPULAR GOTHIC TV SERIES

AND THE SEQUEL

NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS

TO DEBUT ON BLU-RAY™ AND DVD

FOR THE FIRST TIME

OCTOBER 30 FROM WARNER HOME VIDEO

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

BURBANK, Calif., July 9, 2012 – Rejoice, night creatures! Drafting off Dark Shadows, the 2012 horror-comedy film directed by Tim Burton, and just in time for Halloween, two gothic fan favorites, House of Dark Shadows (1970) and the sequel, Night of Dark Shadows (1971) creep onto Blu-ray and DVD October 30 from Warner Home Video. Based on Dark Shadows, the popular occult soap opera that originally aired weekdays on ABC from June 1966 to April 1971, both films have maintained a loyal cult following since their original release. House of Dark Shadows and Night of Dark Shadows will each have a suggested retail price of $19.98 (Blu-ray) and $14.96 (DVD). Orders are due September 25.

House of Dark Shadows features the talents of Jonathan Frid (Dark ShadowsSeizureThe Devil’s Daughter), best known for his role as the vampire Barnabas Collins in the original TV series, Grayson Hall (TV’s “One Life to Live,” “All My Children”) and Kathryn Leigh Scott (Dark ShadowsParasomnia, TV’s “Huff). In this film expansion, Vampire Barnabas Collins searches for a cure so he can marry the lovely woman who resembles his long-lost fiancée Josette. Night of Dark Shadows, the sequel to House of Dark Shadows, centers on the story of Quentin Collins and his bride Tracy at the Collinwood Mansion in Collinsport, Maine. David Selby (Dark ShadowsThe Social Network, Inhale), Lara Parker (TV’s “Dark Shadows,” “Dark Shadows,” “Race with the Devil”), John Karlen (TV’s “Dark Shadows,” “Cagney & Lacey”), Kate Jackson (TV’s “Scarecrow and Mrs. King,” “Charlie's Angels”), Grayson Hall (TV’s “One Life to Live,” “All My Children”) and Nancy Barrett (TV’s “Dark Shadows,” “Ryan’s Hope”) star.   

HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS

SYNOPSIS

Rejoice, night creatures! Collinwood’s affected Barnabas Collins (Jonathan Frid) hopes a series of serum injections will make him normal. Alas, nothing can be normal at eerie Collinwood!

SPECIAL FEATURES:

·         Theatrical trailer

HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS

BLU-RAY DISC™ AND DVD

Run Time: 97 mins.

MPAA Rating: PG

U.S. Street Date: October 30, 2012

Order Due Date: September 25, 2012

Blu-ray Disc Cat / UPC: 1000298903 / 883929248469

DVD Cat / UPC: 1000299888 / 883929248926

Blu-ray SRP: $19.98

DVD SRP: $14.96

NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS

SYNOPSIS

One bite is never enough! New blood comes home in Night of Dark Shadows, as Quentin Collins (David Selby) arrives with his bride (Kate Jackson).

SPECIAL FEATURES:

·         Theatrical trailer

NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS

BLU-RAY DISC™ AND DVD

Run Time: 95 mins.

MPAA Rating: PG

U.S. Street Date: October 30, 2012

Order Due Date: September 25, 2012

Blu-ray Disc Cat / UPC: 1000298882 / 883929248452

DVD Cat / UPC: 1000298875 / 883929247042

Blu-ray SRP: $19.98

DVD SRP: $14.96

Note: All enhanced content/special features listed above is subject to change. 

About Warner Home Video 
With operations in 90 international territories, Warner Home Video, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, a division of the Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group, commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Home Video and New Line Home Entertainment.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 77 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,454 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 09 2012 - 02:18 AM

More surprises from Warners! I had no idea these were in the Blu-ray pipeline. I know fans of the show will be ecstatic!

#3 of 77 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,790 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 09 2012 - 02:47 AM

Warner Blu-ray in October, WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE, DEAD RINGER, and now these.  Happy, But. . . wish they had a few more extras and maybe they could have been a double feature. 

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#4 of 77 ONLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,281 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted July 09 2012 - 03:40 AM

AHOLLIS I Hate the WB Double feature BLU's UGLY UGLY cover art (not that some of their single edition cover art are much better lol) But I would rather have them released by them selves. besides the amazon pre-orders when they get posted are usually 13.99 ish so two titles under 30.00 works for me.

Never have seen these films so excited they are being released before Halloween... now PLEASE cool cover art.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#5 of 77 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,420 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted July 09 2012 - 03:53 AM

Glad to see these released, but I guess the long-rumored restoration of the cut footage in Night of Dark Shadows didn't happen.

#6 of 77 ONLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,281 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted July 09 2012 - 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by JohnMor 

Glad to see these released, but I guess the long-rumored restoration of the cut footage in Night of Dark Shadows didn't happen.

Yeah I think you are right... That was the rumor I read about... oh well hopefully nice image quality and sound quality for what we are given. Too bad we couldn't get special editions of sorts.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#7 of 77 OFFLINE   Tom M

Tom M

Stunt Coordinator

• 216 posts

Posted July 09 2012 - 04:43 AM

More surprises from Warners! I had no idea these were in the Blu-ray pipeline. I know fans of the show will be ecstatic!

They weren't in the pipeline. WB had original said these would be out next year. I'm sure we'll get some news on why NODS isn't being restored at this time soon. It's all going to be speculating untill then. I'm 100% sure we'll get the uncut NODS eventually. All the elements exist. Dan Curtis confirmed the found footage made up his director's cut. The surviving cast members recorded replacement dialogue in the late 1990's. There is still much work needed to be done though. WB clearly decided to get these out now alongside the 2012 movie. SE's could still come later on down the line. People need to buy BOTH movies. The more copies sold, the more WB is likely to revisit them. The press release has a couple of things wrong: NODS is an original movie, not a sequel. Also, the running times for the two films are swapped.
My crummy Deviant Art page. Read my epic poem The Pirate's Tale written in tribute to the Ozy & Millie comic strip.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

#8 of 77 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,560 posts

Posted July 09 2012 - 04:59 AM

Yes!!! Finally. In for both, awesome on Bluray.
See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#9 of 77 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,790 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 09 2012 - 05:39 AM

AHOLLIS I Hate the WB Double feature BLU's UGLY UGLY cover art (not that some of their single edition cover art are much better lol) But I would rather have them released by them selves. besides the amazon pre-orders when they get posted are usually 13.99 ish so two titles under 30.00 works for me. Never have seen these films so excited they are being released before Halloween... now PLEASE cool cover art.

I have never bought a title based on a cover so a double feature is fine by me especially when most Warner double Blus have been running $14.99 or less at Amazon. And it's two discs included. But can't wait for these titles and retire that double feature laserdisc.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#10 of 77 OFFLINE   John Skoda

John Skoda

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted July 09 2012 - 05:57 AM

WB clearly decided to get these out now alongside the 2012 movie. SE's could still come later on down the line. People need to buy BOTH movies. The more copies sold, the more WB is likely to revisit them.

I really want to see the long version of NIGHT, and I guess I'm more pessimistic than you. I'm thinking these are all we're going to get. I'll probably get HOUSE, but I'm not really inclined to reward a job half-done by purchasing NIGHT.

#11 of 77 OFFLINE   Escapay

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Time and Space

Posted July 09 2012 - 08:09 AM

Woohoo! I taped these two movies off of TCM about ten years ago; I'm so glad I can retire that VHS. BTW, does anyone know what the OAR is for these films? My copy from TCM has both at 1.33:1.

#12 of 77 OFFLINE   Darren Gross

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted July 09 2012 - 09:07 AM

They were both shot 1.85:1.

#13 of 77 OFFLINE   Tom M

Tom M

Stunt Coordinator

• 216 posts

Posted July 09 2012 - 09:41 AM

I really want to see the long version of NIGHT, and I guess I'm more pessimistic than you. I'm thinking these are all we're going to get. I'll probably get HOUSE, but I'm not really inclined to reward a job half-done by purchasing NIGHT.

To each his own. But remember, the studios think poor sales mean "poeple don't like this movie" and not "people would rather have an SE of this movie". If NODS does not sell well, that that WILL be it. But if it sells enough copies, then WB will likely consider an SE. It's happened before.

Woohoo! I taped these two movies off of TCM about ten years ago; I'm so glad I can retire that VHS. BTW, does anyone know what the OAR is for these films? My copy from TCM has both at 1.33:1.

TCM showed them at 1.33:1 only because there were no widescreen masters. That should change with the forthcoming DVD/Blu releases.
My crummy Deviant Art page. Read my epic poem The Pirate's Tale written in tribute to the Ozy & Millie comic strip.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

#14 of 77 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,901 posts

Posted July 09 2012 - 09:56 AM

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!! We were promised a restored NODS, and we want it NOW!!!! It's one thing to release House of Dark Shadows as it was released as Dan Curtis made it, but not to put out a restored Night of Dark Shadows is unforgivable- Warner Home Video owes us an explanation RIGHT NOW!!!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#15 of 77 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted July 09 2012 - 11:23 AM

"Promised"? I doubt that. Planned doesn't mean promised, especially in the home video industry. Things change too rapidly.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#16 of 77 OFFLINE   Escapay

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Time and Space

Posted July 09 2012 - 11:33 AM

They were both shot 1.85:1. TCM showed them at 1.33:1 only because there were no widescreen masters. That should change with the forthcoming DVD/Blu releases.

Thanks! That's good to know. I sent TCM a letter once when they were broadcasting several Disney live-action movies at 1.33:1 rather than 1.75:1 (like Old Yeller, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, and I think The Absent-Minded Professor). It turned out that they requested for widescreen masters, but Disney sent them 1.33:1, so that's all they could use. Quite odd, since Disney's DVDs for all three are in widescreen.

#17 of 77 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,420 posts

Posted July 09 2012 - 11:34 AM

I'll be buying HODS only.  I can't stand NODS which I consider a hideously bad movie.  I would have bought the restored edition just to see it, but I'm not shelling out hard earned money for the theatrical edition, even on blu.  But I don't think we'll see SE's down the line either way.  This was the time WB would have done it if they were going to do it.  It's not like the Burton-Depp movie suddenly appeared on the schedule and caught them unawares, so I don't think these were "rushed" to market to coincide. 

#18 of 77 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,901 posts

Posted July 09 2012 - 11:46 AM

John, that's exactly what we should all do- buy HODS only, and force Warners to realize how they have insulted all "Dark Shadows" fans! Would PARAMOUNT do this to "Star Trek" fans?
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#19 of 77 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,420 posts

Posted July 09 2012 - 12:31 PM

Well, I'm not boycotting NODS.  I just have no interest in ever seeing it again.  I would have bought the restored version to compare, and probably will if it ever gets a release.  But I won't hold my breath. 

#20 of 77 OFFLINE   KMR

KMR

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted July 09 2012 - 12:48 PM

"Promised"? I doubt that. Planned doesn't mean promised, especially in the home video industry. Things change too rapidly.

Correct. And IIRC, Darren Gross was always careful to point out that nothing was ever definite in regard to the restoration. I don't think he ever said it was a sure thing; on the contrary, it was always more along the lines of "We're keep our fingers crossed that they'll actually let us get this thing done."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users