-

Photo

WHV Press Release: House of Dark Shadows and Night of Dark Shadows (DVD)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#21 of 39 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,301 posts

Posted July 10 2012 - 11:09 AM

Mark, I'm really looking forward to purchasing the new film. October can't get here fast enough. And thanks to the points you brought up, I am also going to purchase House Of Dark Shadows because it will be an upgrade for me. If it does end up as part of a two-disc set (packaged along with Night Of Dark Shadows) some day, then that's fine with me as well. But I sure would love to see the uncut version. I will be writing a letter as another poster suggested. Hopefully that will make a difference.

#22 of 39 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,890 posts

Posted July 10 2012 - 01:22 PM

I still feel that we should write to Warner Home Video and ask them to restore the film- perhaps it can be a Warner Archive special release. So in the meantime I guess we will have to buy both titles for now.
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#23 of 39 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,301 posts

Posted July 10 2012 - 03:23 PM

^^^ Given what you have written here, I will be doing both.

#24 of 39 OFFLINE   Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted July 11 2012 - 12:05 AM

No good deed goes unpunished! Fans have been clamoring for these two titles for years now and they finally show up ..... on pressed discs yet rather than MOD. Yet there's still complaints. Warners, why did you even bother? You can't win.

These aren't being released due to demand of fans...if that were the case, they would have released these years ago. The only reason they are showing up is just to capitalize on the Tim Burton film, otherwise these would still be languishing in the vaults. So yes I will criticize Warner for not releasing the restored version of NODS. Now I just have to hope that Tim Burton does a remake of the Bowery Boys.

#25 of 39 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,419 posts

Posted July 11 2012 - 05:08 AM

These aren't being released due to demand of fans...if that were the case, they would have released these years ago. The only reason they are showing up is just to capitalize on the Tim Burton film, otherwise these would still be languishing in the vaults. So yes I will criticize Warner for not releasing the restored version of NODS. Now I just have to hope that Tim Burton does a remake of the Bowery Boys.

Now thats a scary thought and I haven't thought of that. :D
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#26 of 39 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,095 posts

Posted July 11 2012 - 06:06 AM

I won't be purchasing either of these until a restored/longer version of Night Of Dark Shadows is released. I can live watching my VHS copies of both films until then.

That's my feelings as well. Widescreen presentation and digital picture are not enough selling point for me to purchase Night of Dark Shadows. A bad film in digital quality is still a bad film.

#27 of 39 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,095 posts

Posted July 11 2012 - 06:10 AM

Ya it is a bad movie but to get Grayson Hall Thayer David Diana Millay Lara Nancy John David the list goes on. This is the last time these people would ever act together again in a Dark Shadows project. The show shut down and they all went to Lyndhurst to film right after. The actors have not aged since that last episode was filmed and are at the top of their game.

And this is a reason NOT to settle for the travesty that is the theatrical version and illustrates EXACTLY why we the fans and the general public should see the complete uncut version of the film Night of Dark Shadows.

#28 of 39 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,095 posts

Posted July 11 2012 - 06:13 AM

So yes I will criticize Warner for not releasing the restored version of NODS.

Amen! Count me in there as well.

#29 of 39 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,095 posts

Posted July 11 2012 - 06:24 AM

NODS might still get the uncut treatment. Just because it isn't happening now does not mean it will never happen. Untill we get some actual info, it's all going to be speculation. I'm sure we'll get some news soon. Considering WB had previously announced these movies for next year, we can conclude that they decided to put out what they have now with maybe an eye toward SE's later down the line. EVERYONE needs to buy BOTH movies. The more copies sold, the more WB is likely to revisit them.

Sadly, releasing Night of Dark Shadows as a stand alone DVD almost guarantees that it won't sell well and therefore will not be revisited. So, any hope for the restored version are pretty much gone. The film already has a bad reputation and it is already a diffucult enough sell. No amount of sugar coating is going to change that fact. The current plans for Night of Dark Shadows are already set up for failure. The film is just too flawed to generate enough sales for a future better release. Sorry, while I like the film, I have to call it as I see it. The film is bad. While it's all speculation on my part I'll bet it's going to play out exactly like I've said. If I'm wong, then I'll be the first to admit it.

#30 of 39 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,459 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted July 11 2012 - 06:27 AM

Sadly, releasing Night of Dark Shadows as a stand alone DVD almost guarantees that it won't sell well and therefore will not be revisited. So, any hope for the restored version are pretty much gone. The film already has a bad reputation and it is already a diffucult enough sell. No amount of sugar coating is going to change that fact. The current plans for Night of Dark Shadows are already set up for failure. The film is just too flawed to generate enough sales for a future better release. Sorry, while I like the film, I have to call it as I see it. The film is bad. While it's all speculation on my part I'll bet it's going to play out exactly like I've said. If I'm wong, then I'll be the first to admit it.

I think the best thing to do is to definitely buy "House" and make a point to skip "Night". If "House" generates strong sales numbers and "Night" scores pitifully, the proper message may be sent to Warner.

#31 of 39 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,048 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 11 2012 - 06:55 AM

I think the best thing to do is to definitely buy "House" and make a point to skip "Night". If "House" generates strong sales numbers and "Night" scores pitifully, the proper message may be sent to Warner.

I agree with that to a point. If House does much better than Night, they might not care enough to release a restored version of Night but they'll at least know the reason for the weaker sales.

#32 of 39 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,095 posts

Posted July 11 2012 - 07:08 AM

I agree but at this point I'm so irked that I really couldn't care less about House of Dark Shadows. Personally I feel that House is the weaker (story wise) of the two films.

#33 of 39 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,998 posts

Posted July 11 2012 - 07:21 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#34 of 39 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,095 posts

Posted July 11 2012 - 08:54 AM

Wow! Those are really unattractive covers.

#35 of 39 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,890 posts

Posted July 11 2012 - 11:12 AM

I like the covers, but am disappointed the original MGM poster art wasn't used for either disc.
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#36 of 39 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts

Posted July 12 2012 - 05:49 AM

Just got in and thought I would see if there were any more posts. Fans could follow what I am going to do. I myself intend to buy the movies in HD I have also decided that a letter cannot hurt the release of Night. I also have given some thought to where a letter could do the most good. I will not explain why I chose the following. I just chose a wide range that people could pick from. TV Guide, Entertainment Weekly, Fangoria, Dread Central, Variety, Hollywood Reporter, Lou Lumenick in the Daily News, and the LA Times and NY Times sections... I hope this suggestion unites all DS fans. I would love to get this movie as it was suppose to be. I will buy Night as it is. I have stated my reasons over and over on the movie threads and here. I am big fan of Marilyn Monroe. Marilyn will be out in blu-ray the first week of August. Fox gave us two releases already out. Yes I will have to double dip. The one I really wanted was Somethings Got To Give which Fox restored and placed on dvd. Fox did one heck of job on that film. Marilyn had died during production and Fox piece by piece put it all together. I watch it every year. I bring this up for this reason. The names I suggested are names I can write to on the Marilyn double dip. The other is I love Somethings Got to Give even if it is not a finished product. I feel the same about Night. I will buy it and watch it and love it. I watch both DS movies once per year back to back. I have even audio recordings of both films from CBS Late Night. Jonathan stated to Dick Cavett in August of 1970 the following. "House of Dark Shadows just falls short of a great horror picture" It is a very good one" "I have become a goody two shoes in the series but not the movie" Our producer Dan Curtis goes for broke and there is one sledge hammer scene after another" stated Mr Frid. Fans do not miss out on the chance of these two movies. I have no idea why WHV made their choice. The reason means nothing to me. The result is what counts. I want it all. I would buy a second release in heart beat and intend to say that. Release the longer Night MOD or however WHV wants to do it. Well I have said enough on this topic. I love the new covers. I just hope all of you fans do not let this spoil the fun for you all at Tarrytown this year!

#37 of 39 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts

Posted July 12 2012 - 11:34 AM

http://www.warnerbro...er-service.html The contact to WB. I emailed them. Who is the contact for WB here at the forum? Adam perhaps you can help us get the word to WB about Night Of Dark Shadows?

#38 of 39 OFFLINE   FrancisP

FrancisP

Screenwriter

• 1,114 posts

Posted July 13 2012 - 06:58 AM

Jonathan stated to Dick Cavett in August of 1970 the following. "House of Dark Shadows just falls short of a great horror picture" It is a very good one" "I have become a goody two shoes in the series but not the movie" Our producer Dan Curtis goes for broke and there is one sledge hammer scene after another" stated Mr Frid.

This was Curtis' original vision for Barnabas Collins when he was introduced into the series. ABC's demand that he be kept on as well as the writers and producer refined Curts' vision into what Dark Shadows should look like. In one of the interviews on the MPI series discs, Robert Costello talked about how Curtis wanted killing after killing on the show after Barnabas was introduced and Costello had to remind Curtis that you couldn't go around killing off your regulars or you wouldn't have a show. Curtis had complete creative control on HODS so it was his vision alone that counted. Frid was right about the sledgehammer approach that Curtis used. You have to think that was another reason for Frid to skip the movie. I also don't back down when I express my disappointment over the lack of extras. I understand that 40 hours of extras is ridiculous. If MPI can give you some interviews with their series discs, I don't understand why Warner can't give you a littlebit of supplemental material.

#39 of 39 OFFLINE   kingfish

kingfish

Screenwriter

• 1,007 posts

Posted July 13 2012 - 09:12 AM

i remember seeing the movie and hated the idea that barnabas was killed in the end.