Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

WHV Press Release: House of Dark Shadows and Night of Dark Shadows (DVD)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 of 39 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,279 posts

Posted July 09 2012 - 01:30 AM

HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS

THE ORIGINAL FILM BASED ON THE POPULAR GOTHIC TV SERIES

AND THE SEQUEL

NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS

TO DEBUT ON BLU-RAY™ AND DVD

FOR THE FIRST TIME

OCTOBER 30 FROM WARNER HOME VIDEO

BURBANK, Calif., July 9, 2012 – Rejoice, night creatures! Drafting off Dark Shadows, the 2012 horror-comedy film directed by Tim Burton, and just in time for Halloween, two gothic fan favorites, House of Dark Shadows (1970) and the sequel, Night of Dark Shadows (1971) creep onto Blu-ray and DVD October 30 from Warner Home Video. Based on Dark Shadows, the popular occult soap opera that originally aired weekdays on ABC from June 1966 to April 1971, both films have maintained a loyal cult following since their original release. House of Dark Shadows and Night of Dark Shadows will each have a suggested retail price of $19.98 (Blu-ray) and $14.96 (DVD). Orders are due September 25.

House of Dark Shadows features the talents of Jonathan Frid (Dark ShadowsSeizureThe Devil’s Daughter), best known for his role as the vampire Barnabas Collins in the original TV series, Grayson Hall (TV’s “One Life to Live,” “All My Children”) and Kathryn Leigh Scott (Dark ShadowsParasomnia, TV’s “Huff). In this film expansion, Vampire Barnabas Collins searches for a cure so he can marry the lovely woman who resembles his long-lost fiancée Josette. Night of Dark Shadows, the sequel to House of Dark Shadows, centers on the story of Quentin Collins and his bride Tracy at the Collinwood Mansion in Collinsport, Maine. David Selby (Dark ShadowsThe Social Network, Inhale), Lara Parker (TV’s “Dark Shadows,” “Dark Shadows,” “Race with the Devil”), John Karlen (TV’s “Dark Shadows,” “Cagney & Lacey”), Kate Jackson (TV’s “Scarecrow and Mrs. King,” “Charlie's Angels”), Grayson Hall (TV’s “One Life to Live,” “All My Children”) and Nancy Barrett (TV’s “Dark Shadows,” “Ryan’s Hope”) star.   

HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS

SYNOPSIS

Rejoice, night creatures! Collinwood’s affected Barnabas Collins (Jonathan Frid) hopes a series of serum injections will make him normal. Alas, nothing can be normal at eerie Collinwood!

SPECIAL FEATURES:

·         Theatrical trailer

HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS

BLU-RAY DISC™ AND DVD

Run Time: 97 mins.

MPAA Rating: PG

U.S. Street Date: October 30, 2012

Order Due Date: September 25, 2012

Blu-ray Disc Cat / UPC: 1000298903 / 883929248469

DVD Cat / UPC: 1000299888 / 883929248926

Blu-ray SRP: $19.98

DVD SRP: $14.96

NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS

SYNOPSIS

One bite is never enough! New blood comes home in Night of Dark Shadows, as Quentin Collins (David Selby) arrives with his bride (Kate Jackson).

SPECIAL FEATURES:

·         Theatrical trailer

NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS

BLU-RAY DISC™ AND DVD

Run Time: 95 mins.

MPAA Rating: PG

U.S. Street Date: October 30, 2012

Order Due Date: September 25, 2012

Blu-ray Disc Cat / UPC: 1000298882 / 883929248452

DVD Cat / UPC: 1000298875 / 883929247042

Blu-ray SRP: $19.98

DVD SRP: $14.96

Note: All enhanced content/special features listed above is subject to change. 

About Warner Home Video 
With operations in 90 international territories, Warner Home Video, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, a division of the Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group, commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Home Video and New Line Home Entertainment.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 39 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,801 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 09 2012 - 02:07 AM

Good news finally, It's a buy, but disappointed in the lack of extras.

Oh and it should have been released as a double feature.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#3 of 39 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,209 posts

Posted July 09 2012 - 02:09 AM

Fans were hoping for more, but pressed disc and Blu may be enough.

#4 of 39 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,450 posts

Posted July 09 2012 - 02:32 AM

Very dissapointing that after the long wait for these titles that Night of Dark Shadows is not the restored original version that has been rumored for years. It supposedly makes the mediocre film into a good one. I'll get House of Dark Shadows but pass on this Version of Night of Dark Shadows.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#5 of 39 OFFLINE   Tom M

Tom M

Stunt Coordinator

• 216 posts

Posted July 09 2012 - 04:24 AM

The running times for the films are swapped. Just sayin'. NODS might still get the uncut treatment. Just because it isn't happening now does not mean it will never happen. Untill we get some actual info, it's all going to be speculation. I'm sure we'll get some news soon. Considering WB had previously announced these movies for next year, we can conclude that they decided to put out what they have now with maybe an eye toward SE's later down the line. EVERYONE needs to buy BOTH movies. The more copies sold, the more WB is likely to revisit them. I'll be getting the Blu-Rays day one for sure! :tu:
My crummy Deviant Art page. Read my epic poem The Pirate's Tale written in tribute to the Ozy & Millie comic strip.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

#6 of 39 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,209 posts

Posted July 09 2012 - 05:06 AM

I would have liked a double feature myself, like the LD. But I'll be buying them.

#7 of 39 OFFLINE   FrancisP

FrancisP

Screenwriter

• 1,115 posts

Posted July 09 2012 - 08:24 AM

It's sad that a smaller outfit like MPI can provide some extras while a big company like Warner can't. Shame, shame, shame.

#8 of 39 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,289 posts

Posted July 09 2012 - 10:13 AM

It's sad that a smaller outfit like MPI can provide some extras while a big company like Warner can't. Shame, shame, shame.

No good deed goes unpunished! Fans have been clamoring for these two titles for years now and they finally show up ..... on pressed discs yet rather than MOD. Yet there's still complaints. Warners, why did you even bother? You can't win.

#9 of 39 OFFLINE   Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted July 09 2012 - 10:23 AM

These mighjt outsell the Johnny Depp version. I cant wait for these on Blu, magmificent art direction and cimematogrspht. Did these do well in theaters? I was disappointed that Kate Jackson didnt cameo in Burtons film.

#10 of 39 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,563 posts

Posted July 09 2012 - 10:35 AM

No good deed goes unpunished! Fans have been clamoring for these two titles for years now and they finally show up ..... on pressed discs yet rather than MOD. Yet there's still complaints. Warners, why did you even bother? You can't win.

Amen to that.
See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#11 of 39 OFFLINE   borisfw

borisfw

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted July 09 2012 - 12:34 PM

It's about time ! I'll be buying .

#12 of 39 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,801 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 09 2012 - 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Thomas T 

I don't consider it complaints, I think it is the thought of a missed opportunity since MGM did have a Movie-makers segment made on both films.  I don't think you will see one post that says they are not going to buy it.

Edit- I take some of this back.  The Blu-ray Thread has some very unhappy people over there. 

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#13 of 39 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,372 posts

Posted July 09 2012 - 01:17 PM

I won't be purchasing either of these until a restored/longer version of Night Of Dark Shadows is released. I can live watching my VHS copies of both films until then.

#14 of 39 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,901 posts

Posted July 09 2012 - 02:46 PM

I'm mad as hell! we should buy only HODS on DVD/Blu-ray as it is complete and leave the truncated NODS on the shelves until Warners sees the errors of their ways. There MUST be some kind of petition to Warner Bros. to reconsider their poor actions. If only we could get hold of George Feltenstein and his cronies and tell them that not restoring NODS to its intended 129-minute length is unacceptable!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#15 of 39 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted July 09 2012 - 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Louis Letizia 

These mighjt outsell the Johnny Depp version.

LMAO. No. Double and triple no. These will sell maybe - maybe - 1/10th of the new film. Far, far, FAR more Burton or Depp fans out there than classic Dark Shadows fans.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#16 of 39 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,450 posts

Posted July 10 2012 - 07:19 AM

I'd gladly trade Mod disc for pressed disc (really no difference to me anyway) for the complete version of NODS any day without a 2nd thought but I will not buy any copy even a $1.00 Blu-Ray of the Boring and Confusing theatrical cut of NODS. And for the record I haven't seen any thread of Fans clamoring for the theatrical cut of NODS only multiple threads and petitions asking for the original cut so this is like a slap in the face to all the fans who are now just expected to fork out cash for something they did not want when Warners has what fans want and has known for years what the fans wanted. On 2nd thought if Warner doesn't change their mind on this release I will not be purchasing either film. I can live with my Laserdisc.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#17 of 39 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts

Posted July 10 2012 - 09:10 AM

Personally, I'm hoping to see a new press release:

"Due to bitching and moaning, we've canceled this release and burned all our film elements. Happy Halloween!" - Warner Bros.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#18 of 39 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,450 posts

Posted July 10 2012 - 09:41 AM

Personally, I'm hoping to see a new press release: "Due to bitching and moaning, we've canceled this release and burned all our film elements. Happy Halloween!" - Warner Bros.

If they did that for the new Burton Mess they would be doing us all a favor. Never let Tim Burton do a Remake should be the Studios new moto

Top 20 Films

#19 of 39 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts

Posted July 10 2012 - 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Randy Korstick 

If they did that for the new Burton Mess they would be doing us all a favor. Never let Tim Burton do a Remake should be the Studios new moto

When it comes to new releases, the studios care about $$$. As far as Burton doing remakes or new films of previously-adapted-for-film sources, he's 6/7 in the box office department, with the lone failure being Dark Shadows. The other six - Batman, Batman Returns, Sleepy Hollow, Planet of the Apes, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and Alice in Wonderland - have all been rather successful films. That's a pretty good track record when it comes to making studios profits, no matter how much I feel his Alice in Wonderland is dreadful.

#20 of 39 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,087 posts

Posted July 10 2012 - 11:07 AM

I am buying both movies. Fans should buy House!!! The movies will be solo. You will get a wide screen version and a great transfer from VHS to DVD. We could have got them MOD and not restored which is not the case. Night well that is up to you the fan. I will buy it. Why will I??? I wish i could list all the reasons. Ya it is a bad movie but to get Grayson Hall Thayer David Diana Millay Lara Nancy John David the list goes on. This is the last time these people would ever act together again in a Dark Shadows project. The show shut down and they all went to Lyndhurst to film right after. The actors have not aged since that last episode was filmed and are at the top of their game. I am one of those old fans who ran home to see Dark Shadows. I can remember when the show ended and when I went to see Night. I was happy to view my family again one more time. The Dark Shadows actors to me were like my family. I ate up every scene. I still can hear Dan Curtis refer to Night and the missing footage in Dark Shadows Reunion DVD. I suggest everyone view it who is upset by this news. The other fact that I do not understand shocks me. The restored version was not even an idea until Darren unearthed the footage. He worked on it. He did everything as a labor love to DS and it's fans. The years and hours Darren worked Night cannot not even be fathomed. The loss is Darren's not us the DS Fans. I do not speak for Darren. I just know that he got the very best deal he could from Warner's for the films. I thank him very very much for all the work on Night and getting us House restored and out there in October. I hope that in time the footage he worked so very hard on will come out in some shape or form in the future. The fact it will hurt WB if Fans do not buy Night?? No way will it hurt them. The cacophony at Tarrytown over this should be something to hear. I hope it does not last long and spoil the fun of people who are attending. I also hope they do not hurl one question after another at Darren. I am sure he is very sad at the turn of events. The fact the studio made this choice is not Darren's fault or even Jim's. I state once again these are my ideas ONLY!