Photo
- - - - -

Your SINGLE favorite TV episode from any series (just one!)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 of 49 jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted May 11 2013 - 09:22 PM

i am not gonna even try to name my favorite EPISODE of all time.

what is a bit easier for me, is to pick an episode from an individual show, that i think really stands out.

this has to be from some of the shows that i recently viewed.

so the one episode that first comes to mind is star trek next generation, when data is on trial to see if he is property, or whether he has his own rights.

#42 of 49 Shatner's Grim Reaper

Shatner's Grim Reaper

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted May 12 2013 - 04:36 AM

i am not gonna even try to name my favorite EPISODE of all time.

what is a bit easier for me, is to pick an episode from an individual show, that i think really stands out.

this has to be from some of the shows that i recently viewed.

so the one episode that first comes to mind is star trek next generation, when data is on trial to see if he is property, or whether he has his own rights.

Jimmy....please see post number 37 or 39.

#43 of 49 jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted May 12 2013 - 08:38 AM

Jimmy....please see post number 37 or 39.

i looked, but could not figure out what you wanted me to see ?

#44 of 49 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts

Posted May 12 2013 - 03:38 PM

I LOVE LUCY: "Tennesse Bound." That one always seemed like the perfect episode to me--they used my favorite guest star, Tennesse Ernie Ford and it had a lot of music. Why they only used Ernie on three episodes, I shall never know. He should have been on at least once a year. Then when Teensie and Weensie come out and do their number...yikes! The Tennesse contingent should have been spun off into their own show; absolutely hilarious!

THE SIMPSONS: "Blame it on Lisa." The basic plot borders on being almost South Park-style tacky, but most of the laughs come from several surprising moments and one-liners. The show was already past its prime, but it's still one of the better ones, yet very under-rated and rarely see on fans' top ten lists.

THE BRADY BUNCH: "The Subject Was Noses." A notorious episode--probably one that Maureen McCormick hates, but it's also an iconic moment in the show's run and was viciously slammed in the "Brady Bunch Movie." This is the one where a stray football busts Marcia's beautiful nose and her prom date cancels on her. I don't even know why I single out this episode--I think it's because us awful 70s kids made fun of it mercilessly. After this aired and for the rest of the decade, every time some kid was throwing around a football, one of the others kids would go "Ohhhh....my nose!"

#45 of 49 ScottRE

ScottRE

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationNew York, Planet Earth

Posted May 13 2013 - 12:19 PM

What is your single favorite TV episode of all time? Let's see who accepts this challenge. A single dramatic episode of a TV series. Your favorite hour or half-hour of television. And why. Mine? The Doomsday Machine from the Original Star Trek series. Why? Because it simply builds drama and satisfies better than any dramatic TV episode I have seen. It has great performances, a moral argument, terrific writing and directing, nice cinematography, terrific special effects (both versions) and an absolutely crucial score--the music makes it.

Almost a year later.... Mine too!

"Ah, Admiral. I like the cut of your jib."

#46 of 49 Harry-N

Harry-N

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted May 14 2013 - 06:25 AM

In alphabetical order, here are some of my choices (I'm not picking just one). These are mostly all "comfort food" episodes, ones that I can throw on and guarantee to be entertained.

THE AVENGERS - "Death's Door" This might seem an odd choice to some, but it was an episode that I managed to capture on VHS tape way back in the late '70s/early '80s on a late night run on CBS. As such it was the only episode I could put on when I was in the mood for an AVENGERS episode, thus it became on "old friend". And it's a fun episode to boot.

DICK VAN DYKE - "I'd Rather Be Bald Than Have No Head At All" It's a toss-up between this and the walnut episode. Both have fun dream sequences that I just love. I still use the word "ingrediment" to this day.

THE FUGITIVE - "Nightmare At Northoak" Most will say the finale is the best, and that's a hard choice to deny. But this first-season episode had it all. A dream sequence starts the episode, and its iconic images were used throughout the rest of the series for part of the opening. The menace from Gerard is never stronger, and Kimble has much to overcome in this one.

THE INVADERS - "Beachhead" (pilot) A bunch of my choices are pilots. They often had the biggest budgets, and the premise of the series gets sets up nicely, as is the case here.

LOST IN SPACE - "No Place To Hide" (unaired pilot) This hour of television, without the nonsense of Dr. Smith, was just fabulous. It was so good that it served as the foundation for FOUR series episodes with some clever editing.

LOST - "Man Of Science, Man Of Faith" After an engrossing first season following the plane crash, this first episode of the second season took us to places totally unexpected with the opening of "the hatch." There are other fascinating episodes to be sure, but this one really captured the imagination.

LAND OF THE GIANTS - "The Crash" (pilot) The first and best episode of this series.

M*A*S*H - "Adam's Ribs" Surely one of the funniest M*A*S*H episodes ever.

MANNIX - "The Sound Of Darkness" Our hero is blinded and must rely on friends and his inner strength to survive. None better.

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - "The Train" The team uses great "trickonology" to fool a head-of-state wannabee.

THE OUTER LIMITS - "The Forms Of Things Unknown" A more bizarre hour of television you'll never find. Fascinating to watch over and over again as you try to piece together what its all about. Dreamy, surrealistic, with an exceptional music score (later used in THE INVADERS).

THE PRISONER - "The Chimes Of Big Ben" It's hard to pick just one, but this episode has it all, from an iconic Number Two to an escape attempt. Unforgettable.

SECRET AGENT/DANGER MAN - "A Room in The Basement" For some reason this is the most memorable episode of this series for me. The lovely Jane Merrow guest stars.

STAR TREK - "City On The Edge Of Forever" Much has been written of this episode, and it's the one that got me hooked on STAR TREK in the first place. Fabulous stuff.

STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION - "The Inner Light" A jaw-droppingly good story that had us wowed from the moment we saw it. Still amazing to this day.

STAR TREK DEEP SPACE NINE - "The Visitor" A for-sure CWWC for me. (That's "Can't Watch Without Crying"). Considered one of the best STAR TREK's of any generation or series.

STAR TREK VOYAGER - "Year Of Hell" Fun sci-fi premise of altering timelines in a two-part story. I also like the one where VOYAGER goes back to 20th century California.

THE TIME TUNNEL - "Rendezvous With Yesterday" (pilot) The best episode of my all-time sentimental favorite series. It sets up the series premise, takes us for a ride on the Titanic, and features some amazing SFX work and tunnel complex shots.

TWILIGHT ZONE - "On Thursday We Leave For Home" Yes, my favorite TZ is an hour-long episode, probably the best of that fourth season, and in my mind one of the best of the series.

VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA - "Submarine Sank Here" No monsters running amuck here, this is a tense, gripping story that'll keep you on the edge of your seat. One of the best from a fine first season.

Some of these were mentioned earlier in the thread, some were not. And I'm sure there are others I may think of later and wish I'd have included. But this will do for now.

Harry

• Gary OS likes this
My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#47 of 49 Gary OS

Gary OS

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,385 posts

Posted May 14 2013 - 06:39 AM

You hit on at least four of the same episodes I would have picked, and possibly a fifth.  The episodes you listed for Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Lost in Space, Land of the Giants, and The Fugitive (although I really battle between "Nightmare" and "Search in a Windy City").  And the episode you listed for DVDS is right up there as well, although there are so many in that series I like my opinion can change from moment to moment so I won't commit myself right now.  And if I'm considering classic Star Trek, that's my choice as well.

Gary "no way could I list only one top episode from one series - I'd have to give a multiple listing answer" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN ON TREASURE ISLAND

#48 of 49 TravisR

TravisR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 20,719 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 14 2013 - 06:50 AM

LOST - "Man Of Science, Man Of Faith" After an engrossing first season following the plane crash, this first episode of the second season took us to places totally unexpected with the opening of "the hatch." There are other fascinating episodes to be sure, but this one really captured the imagination.

That's a great episode. Semi-pointless fact: I assumed the title referred to Jack and Locke's dueling POVs but on the commentary, they say that the title only refers to Jack.

#49 of 49 Richard V

Richard V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted May 14 2013 - 07:06 AM

STAR TREK DEEP SPACE NINE - "The Visitor" A for-sure CWWC for me. (That's "Can't Watch Without Crying"). Considered one of the best STAR TREK's of any generation or series.

Glad to see someone else enjoys this episode as much as I do.  Surely one of the BEST hours of TV ever, not just limited to Sci Fi.  Beautifully written, acted, and directed, makes me tear up just thinking of it.

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users