Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Aloha Bobby and Rose

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted July 07 2012 - 10:32 AM

As I opted to beat the heat by watching some 7/s flix in an air con room im a bit perplexed how Anchor Bay got ALOHA BOBBY AND ROSE ( a guilty pleasure of mine)

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted July 08 2012 - 03:10 PM

As I opted to beat the heat by watching some 7/s flix in an air con room im a bit perplexed how Anchor Bay got ALOHA BOBBY AND ROSE ( a guilty pleasure of mine)

It was in the Palomar Pictures library they got from Bristol-Myers-Squibb, about the time they also released LAW AND DISORDER, THE STEPFORD WIVES, SLEUTH, and THE HEARTBREAK KID.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted July 08 2012 - 03:28 PM

I thought so..but didnt see Palomar mentioned in imdb. Thanks Wfor cearing thT up. We dont know if AB still has their library. Ive been pleasently surprised of their abundant rereleases of the ong dormant Fox library. A stunning Blu of THE ENTITY

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,237 posts

Posted July 03 2014 - 04:23 PM

Timeless Media is releasing/re-releasing this on July 29, for $9.99. It can be preordered on Amazon.

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 05:11 PM

Nice. A guilty pleasure of mine. Are we to assume TImeless has rights to the Palomar library?

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Brian McP

Brian McP

Second Unit

• 411 posts

Posted July 06 2014 - 10:19 PM

Certainly hope so, and I hope all the Palomar pictures get reissued, especially 'Sleuth" and 'Law and Disorder", one of both Caroll O'Connor and Ernest Borgnine's greatest performances.

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad

Supporting Actor

• 548 posts
  • LocationMerritt Island, Florida

Posted July 14 2014 - 10:23 AM

Brad here. This title is on my Favourite 70s Films wish list. This now begs the question , will we see "Aloha Bobby & Rose" on Blu-Ray?

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,237 posts

Posted July 14 2014 - 02:58 PM

Unlikely i'd guess.

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad

Supporting Actor

• 548 posts

Posted July 29 2014 - 01:10 PM

Unlikely i'd guess.

Guess you were right. Just got a note on FB from Shout Factory. No Blu release is planned.
A king sized RATS!!!

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,237 posts

Posted July 29 2014 - 04:44 PM

New disc indicates non-anamorphic transfer, groan.

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted July 30 2014 - 03:49 PM

I could see Shout doing a bare bones triple feature of 3 never released on DVD Palomar tiles- The Strange Vengeance of Rosalie, WhateverBecame of Jack and Jill? and To Kill a Clown. Only Clown received a vhs release.

Hard to tell who now owns the 1975 The Stepford Wives. Paramount owned it for a while. Otherwise this would be an ideal Shout Bluray for its 40th Anniversary.

I second Sleuth (on Blu) but would especially like The Heartbreak Kid and Law and Disorder. 

When Michael Calls is a fun thriller but would be better on their tv movie double feature label .

Ive never seen The Darwin Adventure-perhaps the most elusive of the Palomar titles

The rest are more MGM through the ABC label, which still would reside with Shout. 

Disappointed in Aloha which is not, as I assumed a Palomar film. Always watched this as an HBO junkie whenever it was on. Its soundtrack and cinematography deserved the Bluray treatment. 

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad

Supporting Actor

• 548 posts

Posted September 17 2014 - 03:55 AM

Viewed the Shout/Timeless DVD. A big disappointment to say the least. PQ is definitely below average. Sad because I've seen DVDs with much better PQ ("The Wild Life" 1984 ).
Remind me to send a polite note to Shout Factory requesting a new and better transfer to Blu.

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad

Supporting Actor

• 548 posts

Posted September 23 2014 - 12:46 PM

Sent the following letter to Shout (via Facebook PM):

=================================================================

I received your DVD of the 1975 film Aloha Bobby & Rose and of course viewed it on my Vizio 70" HDTV connected to a Sony BDP-S590 Blu-ray player. 

In short I was very disappointed in the DVD.  The picture quality (PQ) didn't seem any better than a old VHS copy which leads me to believe that a old VHS transfer was used.   Disappointed because I was hoping that the up scaling capability of my blu-ray player would yield a nice quality picture superior to a regular DVD player (but not up to Blu-ray standards of course).   I have several recently-released DVDs that upscale nicely and have much better PQ (Universal Vault's The Wild Life (1984) which Universal released in late 2013 for one).

Aloha Bobby & Rose deserves so much better than this. 

In a earlier note from Facebook, you stated that no blu-ray would be coming of ABR.  A bunch of us over at HomeTheater Forum agree that Aloha Bobby & Rose should get a proper Blu-ray release using a new 4K scan transfer from the original negatives if those still exist along with film restoration work if needed (and it probably would be needed).    Not only could a quality blu-ray be derived from a new scan but a much-improved DVD release as well.

Please take a new scan/transfer and blu-ray release for Aloha Bobby & Rose under consideration and if you could, make it happen.  You would have some happy customers, including myself.

Sincerely
Brad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users